Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 8:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3rd Row Seats
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:56 am 

I spoke to three dealers. They claim it is illegal to add 3rd row seats to RAV4.

I asked him that RAV4 EV is same as RAV4 2012 and RAV4 2012 allows third row. He still claims it is illegal to add 3rd row. I don't trust him but just want to pass the info to other forum members.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:52 am 

ravisekhar wrote:
I spoke to three dealers. They claim it is illegal to add 3rd row seats to RAV4.

I asked him that RAV4 EV is same as RAV4 2012 and RAV4 2012 allows third row. He still claims it is illegal to add 3rd row. I don't trust him but just want to pass the info to other forum members.

Thanks for the heads up. I have gotten almost the same thing from the dealers I have talked to. I agree with you that I dont believe them either. My take is that I don't think it is illegal but more an issue that a dealership does not want to be liable if something went wrong. Not sure why they can cut a big hole in the body for a sunroof and not worry about liability but bolting a 3rd row seat to existing mounting points makes them so nervous, but oh well.

All the research I have done says that no third row is ever crash tested (even factory installed) and has no laws in any state regarding them. I'm honestly not sure if that make me feel better or worse about this idea.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:13 pm 

ravisekhar wrote:

Dealers and "the law". Yep, I heard from the 7-11 convenience store clerk that it was ok, so I'm just going to go with the most trust worthy source.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Post subject: Re: 3rd Row
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:01 am 

Darren wrote:
Thanks. The main thing I am wondering at this point is that the factory Toyota 3rd row has several metal "loops" in the floor...
Those look like LATCH top tether attach points.

I'm very interested in the 3rd row as well. Just had to take the old gas guzzler minivan the other day because we took the mother-in-law along to dinner. There were only 5 of us, but there's not really any room in the middle between two carseats. By the way, has anyone figured out how the seatbelt for the rear middle passenger works? I saw that it has two male connectors, but could only find one female.

Post subject: Re: 3rd Row
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:44 am 

fooljoe wrote:
Darren wrote:
Thanks. The main thing I am wondering at this point is that the factory Toyota 3rd row has several metal "loops" in the floor...
Those look like LATCH top tether attach points.

I'm very interested in the 3rd row as well. Just had to take the old gas guzzler minivan the other day because we took the mother-in-law along to dinner. There were only 5 of us, but there's not really any room in the middle between two carseats. By the way, has anyone figured out how the seatbelt for the rear middle passenger works? I saw that it has two male connectors, but could only find one female.

Interesting observation. Now that I think about it, they are almost identical to LATCH points. I believe LATCH points are required by law to be welded to the frame of the vehicle. I wonder if that means these are as well.

Sorry I don't have any insights to share on the seatbelt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:27 am 

Darren- any luck finding some seats?

My thoughts:
You need to see if there are connection points on the floor still. See the picture of 3rd row seats here to see what I mean.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3- ... seats.html
If those are still there then you should be able to just drop it into place. They are probably there under the carpet.

The added weight is negligible. The car weighs around 4000 pounds. You are talking about adding 100. No way are you going to be able to notice a difference in kw/mile.

The lilseats (or whatever) they are called could be a good option too. They will install front or back facing. Back facing they are the same setup as the 3rd row on the model s. Tesla crash tested the model s at 70 mph and the back facing seats were safe. The rear end of the vehicle does not crumple like the front (it's part of the passenger compartment). Rear facing seats would be different and maybe even fun for the kids. Only downside is it's easier for them to smack each other around three stooges style (I have three boys...everything in my house is stooge-like).

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:57 am 

mikegerard wrote:
Darren- any luck finding some seats?

My thoughts:
You need to see if there are connection points on the floor still. See the picture of 3rd row seats here to see what I mean.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3- ... seats.html
If those are still there then you should be able to just drop it into place. They are probably there under the carpet.

The added weight is negligible. The car weighs around 4000 pounds. You are talking about adding 100. No way are you going to be able to notice a difference in kw/mile.

The lilseats (or whatever) they are called could be a good option too. They will install front or back facing. Back facing they are the same setup as the 3rd row on the model s. Tesla crash tested the model s at 70 mph and the back facing seats were safe. The rear end of the vehicle does not crumple like the front (it's part of the passenger compartment). Rear facing seats would be different and maybe even fun for the kids. Only downside is it's easier for them to smack each other around three stooges style (I have three boys...everything in my house is stooge-like).

Mike

I haven't figured out a way to determine what is under the carpet without pulling the whole trunk apart and pulling up the carpet.

I think you make a good point about another 100 pounds not make much difference.

Little Passenger Seats makes a seat for the RAV4 but it does not collapse or fold. It is also a 3-pt normal seatbelt and not a 5-pt version like the Tesla which helps prevent the "3 stooges effect" of them bouncing into each other.
http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/rav ... XtaAMu9KSM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:40 am 

the three stooges effect in my car is always intentional :lol: :roll: :x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:04 am 

mikegerard wrote:
the three stooges effect in my car is always intentional :lol: :roll: :x

I have three boys myself so I understand completely.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 am 

I have 4 sons. The 4 musketeers? I thought about the third row seat but use a mini van instead. The EV definitely spurs thought in my sons.

2009 VW GTI Red
Several Trucks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next