Anyone done the 40,000 mile service?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyduckie

I'll be reaching 40K in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if others have had the service done? What do the dealers charge for this service? The manual states that the coolant needs to be flushed? Anything to look out for?

TIA

I'm having mine done tomorrow (at 47k), although may not be applicable as I'm out of state and they are supposed to do it after the fix my heater. I'll let you know.

I'm pretty sure both battery coolant and motor/controller coolant are recommended at 40k. Either I'm over due or going to be slightly early. Either way, I'll be good for another 2 years.

40,000 miles or 48 months:

Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Replace battery coolant 3
Replace motor/inverter coolant 4
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake linings/drums and
brake pads/discs
Inspect the following:
__ Battery coolant
__ Health check
__ Motor/Inverter coolant

=====================

50,000 miles or 60 months:

Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Replace battery coolant 1
Replace motor/inverter coolant 2

Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake linings/drums and
brake pads/discs
Inspect the following:
__ Battery coolant
__ Health check
__ Motor/Inverter coolant

From the 2012 Warranty and Maintenance Guide:

Maint_Sched_Notes.jpg

My guide matches only the 48 month section posted by eplantz above. The 60 month in my guide is like this:

Maint_Sched_60mo.jpg

I open the hood last night, and on the coolant reservoir (Blue G48) was a sticker that says replace coolant 1st service at 50,000 mi. But the service manual says at 40,000 and also 50,000 ... so which is it???

I have appointment for service tomorrow, I'm sure the dealer is more than happy to take my money!

The maintenance guide footnotes say the replacement of both should be done every 48 months regardless of mileage - the footnote is on page 31

Outlier said:
The maintenance guide footnotes say the replacement of both should be done every 48 months regardless of mileage - the footnote is on page 31

I'm a week away from 20 months, so 28 months shy of the recommended 48 months :D

I just bought a friends RAV4 EV and took it in to Walnut Creek Toyota for the 40k service. I asked them to change the inverter and battery coolant. They began by saying electric cars don't have engines and don't use coolant. Then they said the coolant doesn't need to to be changed until 90k miles. Once I I showed them the service interval booklet they agreed to do the service. They charged $200 for the inverter and $200 for the battery. It was hard for me to let them do it because I have always worked on my own cars in the past. I obtained the service manual and found that I can do the inverter easily. The battery coolant requires a purge using "Rav4EV diagnostic tool in DLC3 No 2". In the end I picked up the Rav with a big oily hand mark on door fabric. They cleaned it but my car now smells like degreaser. Also they had the car from Monday afternoon to Wednesday night. I called Fremont Toyota and they wanted to charge $260 for each service. Milpitas was too busy to give me an estimate. I think that this was the first 40k service for walnut creek Toyota and I'd expect others to now have an easier time than I did.

HD172 said:
I just bought a friends RAV4 EV and took it in to Walnut Creek Toyota for the 40k service. I asked them to change the inverter and battery coolant. They began by saying electric cars don't have engines and don't use coolant. Then they said the coolant doesn't need to to be changed until 90k miles. Once I I showed them the service interval booklet they agreed to do the service. They charged $200 for the inverter and $200 for the battery. It was hard for me to let them do it because I have always worked on my own cars in the past. I obtained the service manual and found that I can do the inverter easily. The battery coolant requires a purge using "Rav4EV diagnostic tool in DLC3 No 2". In the end I picked up the Rav with a big oily hand mark on door fabric. They cleaned it but my car now smells like degreaser. Also they had the car from Monday afternoon to Wednesday night. I called Fremont Toyota and they wanted to charge $260 for each service. Milpitas was too busy to give me an estimate. I think that this was the first 40k service for walnut creek Toyota and I'd expect others to now have an easier time than I did.

As part of the 40k service, I also had the battery coolant done at the Walnut Creek a few weeks ago. They had done the inverter coolant as part of the motor replacement at around 39K. The whole motor replacement process was smooth, from agreeing to replace it, ordering, and the motor swap itself. They had done a number of replacements before mine. For the battery coolant change, they quoted $160. After they did the change (without messing the interior), they said next time would be more expensive as they had underestimated the amount of coolant. My car might have been the first battery coolant service they had done. Just glad this service interval is 40K.

The dealer is making up for the hand print by giving me the nav update for free. The nav updates fall under the 36K mile warranty.

Upon re-reading the maintenance guide, I'm interpret it as being 48 months (40 k mi/ 48 mo.) or 50,000 miles (50 k mi/ 60 mo.) Whichever comes first. I checked all the fluids and Costco already rotated my tires, So I canceled my appointment and will do the flush at 50 k mi.

Back