Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VIN numbers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:10 am 

I noticed that the VIN's of recently purchased RAV4 EV's are in the low 1000's (eg. 10XX-11XX). Does anyone know how to interpret the numbers and if the first RAV4 EV would have a VIN of 1001? Thanks.

Solar Panels

Post subject: Re: VIN numbers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Moderator

Seems logical to assume since only 140 were shipped/sold as of the end of November. Sadly, not very many! There were a small number of prototypes made during R&D, so perhaps the first 1000 numbers were reserved for some internal purpose.

Anybody know how many were sold in December? I would expect December sales to have "spiked", because of the very favorable incentives; as much as $15000, plus 0% financing! But, something tells me, sales remain inexplicably sluggish. The RAV4 EV must be a really hard sell for Toyota because of the much lower priced non-EV RAV4 models still available, which also have 0% financing available. The absence of AWD and third row seating, not to mention the perceived issue of "range anxiety", must really be hurting sales prospects.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 pm 

Dsinned wrote:
Seems logical to assume since only 140 were shipped/sold as of the end of November. Sadly, not very many! There were a small number of prototypes made during R&D, so perhaps the first 1000 numbers were reserved for some internal purpose.

Anybody know how many were sold in December? I would expect December sales to have "spiked", because of the very favorable incentives; totally as much as $15000, plus 0% financing! But, something tells me, sales remain inexplicably sluggish. The RAV4 EV must be a really hard sell for Toyota because of the much lower priced non-EV RAV4 models still available, which also have 0% financing available. The absence of AWD and third row seating, not to mention the perceived issue of "range anxiety", must really be hurting sales prospects.

Thanks!!

Solar Panels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:55 am 

Dsinned wrote:
The RAV4 EV must be a really hard sell for Toyota because of the much lower priced non-EV RAV4 models still available, which also have 0% financing available. The absence of AWD and third row seating, not to mention the perceived issue of "range anxiety", must really be hurting sales prospects.

I seriously doubt that a single $50k Rav4 EV was sold to a customer who walked in to buy a $25k oil burner Rav4.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:55 am 

Unverified but according to here http://insideevs.com/december-2012-plug ... port-card/, 52 RAV4 EVs sold in Dec.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 am 

Good Evening,

My first post on this forum.

I have been a Toyota Rav4EV driver since 6 June 2002 and I now have the second edition, a Blizzard White version.

Just wanted to post my serial number: 1332.

My opinion of the low sales volume - outside of the EV community very few people know the 2012/2013 Rav4EV even exists. Offering incentives does not help if potential buyers do not know they exists. Even my dealer did not know about all the incentives and the finance guy most certainly did not know the about the ins/outs of purchase/finance/lease/ and rebates. And was unable to explain lease vs. finance and the federal rebate.

Or the same same as last time no advertisement to speak of and poor in house education. The dealer enthusiasm is high they even installed a 40A Leviton charger that customers can use.

Xmas and New Years got in the way and I've not been able to due my usual EV sales pitch.

Thank you

-- Brandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Moderator

Brandy wrote:
Good Evening,

I have been a Toyota Rav4EV driver since 6 June 2002 and I now have the second edition, a Blizzard White version.

Welcome (back) to the party. Thanks for posting.

If you haven't yet, don't forget to post yourself on the map. More info here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64

-Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:29 am 

Quote:
Unverified but according to here http://insideevs.com/december-2012-plug ... port-card/,
52 RAV4 EVs sold in Dec.

That site won't post the numbers unless they are verified, or they tell you they are guessing for companies like Fisker and Tesla that don't report sales.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Moderator

Brandy wrote:
Good Evening,

Just wanted to post my serial number: 1332.

My opinion of the low sales volume - outside of the EV community very few people know the 2012/2013 Rav4EV even exists. Offering incentives does not help if potential buyers do not know they exists. Even my dealer did not know about all the incentives and the finance guy most certainly did not know the about the ins/outs of purchase/finance/lease/ and rebates. And was unable to explain lease vs. finance and the federal rebate.

Or the same same as last time no advertisement to speak of and poor in house education. The dealer enthusiasm is high they even installed a 40A Leviton charger that customers can use.

Xmas and New Years got in the way and I've not been able to due my usual EV sales pitch.

Thank you

-- Brandy

Congrats! My dealership experience was very similar, even after I tried to keep the enthusiasm up by voluntarily returning several times in December to offer a testimonial in the presence of any other potential customer. But, there were NONE. Inexplicably, my dealer's sales staff was not even aware of the December incentives offered by Toyota on the RAV4 EV clearly displayed on their own website! It is hard to believe the sales "effort" could of been any worse from a major dealership over the year end holiday season. For all I know, I may still be their only customer so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 am 

I just picked up my RAV EV on Monday. The dealer had a couple of them on the lot. While everyone was very friendly and helpful, nobody knew anything about the vehicle. At one point while finance was prepping the paperwork elsewhere the salesman came into the little set-me-up room where I was waiting, closed the door, and basically admitted he knew nothing about the vehicle and wanted me to tell him about it and EVs in general (at least he was interested though)!

On the test drive I did earlier, the salesman riding along was shocked when I briskly accelerated onto the freeway. It stopped him mid sentence with a statement of "that was impressive! I didn't expect that! Much more impressive than the regular RAV". He admitted he had never ridden in the vehicle before.

While I was out on the lot looking at one of the RAVs while waiting on the salesman to go fetch the key, I heard another salesman one row of cars over taking a prospect away from the RAV. The client had noticed the charger and asked about the vehicle and the salesman informed him that "they have to charge" and that "they have limited range after which you have to charge again" and then took them a couple cars over to look at a Prius!

Finally, while the finance guy had me in his office doing the papers, he had to look a bunch of stuff up. He didn't understand what the special code for the 40a leviton charger was about, whether or not he could offer me a extended service plan, KARR alarm, etc. I didn't want to buy any of this stuff anyway. He had never written a deal on an RAV EV.

I have to say everyone was super friendly and tried to be as helpful as they could, but nobody actually knew anything. Clearly there never had been training and nobody was pushing the cars. Salesman said they got them because they are a "green dealership" but wouldn't be getting any more.

So that was my experience. Love this car so far...!