Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:44 am
Posts: 16
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while and I finally made the move to get one of these bitchin cars. Picked mine up with 12,200 miles, it's a blue 2014. Purchase price was $30,084, the car has some knicks and scratches and the headliner in the cargo area is kind of scuffed but she's MINE!!!. How did I do? Also, does anyone have an extra L2 charger lying around that they want to sell? Kind of need one...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:00 pm
Posts: 101
Congratulations!

I would recommend the Jesla. WWW.quickchargepower.com

I have that one and I like it because it is 10kwh, it has adapters and I can charge at rv parks. Plus it is small, portable and made by tesla, slightly modified to use with our car.

_________________
2018 Model 3DP
2014 RAV4 EV Silver. 75,000 miles
2014 RAV4 EV Blue. (Sold)
2011 Leaf (sold)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 139
Welcome to the club! Maybe update your profile with your general location.

We have a EV/club meeting that happens in SoCal every 2 weeks in SantaAna and Cerritos if you are in this area general area.

_________________
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
10kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!! + 3kw SW panels string tie.
I fly drones and R/C..
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav" JdeMO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:44 am
Posts: 16
Location: Garden Grove, CA
JasonA wrote:
Welcome to the club! Maybe update your profile with your general location.

We have a EV/club meeting that happens in SoCal every 2 weeks in SantaAna and Cerritos if you are in this area general area.


Thanks, I just updated my location. I'm right in between SA and Cerritos actually. Does the club have a website?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 pm
Posts: 621
Congratulations!

I recommend Clipper Creek EVSE. Easy to size depending on the available power.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:27 am
Posts: 13
What is the benefit of having the Tesla parts versus say for example the Juicebox which is also 40 Amps?

evdrive wrote:
Congratulations!

I would recommend the Jesla. http://WWW.quickchargepower.com

I have that one and I like it because it is 10kwh, it has adapters and I can charge at rv parks. Plus it is small, portable and made by tesla, slightly modified to use with our car.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 154
kieranmullen wrote:
What is the benefit of having the Tesla parts versus say for example the Juicebox which is also 40 Amps?

evdrive wrote:
Congratulations!

I would recommend the Jesla. http://WWW.quickchargepower.com

I have that one and I like it because it is 10kwh, it has adapters and I can charge at rv parks. Plus it is small, portable and made by tesla, slightly modified to use with our car.


Assuming proper construction 40A is 40A. The advantage of the JESLA is that it is small and it is easy to transport but really pricey. It sets its power by the plug used.

The OpenEVSE and JuiceBox can be set for the available current. On MNL a person said that the GE unit has dip switches to set the current. The Jesla, JuiceBox and OpenEVSE are not UL approved if that is important to you. It is not to me.

The Leaf owners seem to favor Clipper Creek. It is UL approved.

The car's internal Tesla supplied charger is fully J1772 compliant. That means if you just charge at home over night you can use a 30A EVSE. It is 25% slower but it is much cheaper. If you go to Clipper Creek's website the 40A unit is hundreds more than the 32A unit. By the way, the Clipper Creek model numbers refer to the required wiring. The 40A unit is for a 50A circuit and the model reflects that.

_________________
2014 Mercedes Benz Cirrus White B Class Ouch, it was hit! Frame damage and it is totaled.
2016 VW eGOLF SEL w drive assist.
Back to a 2017 Cirrus white B250E


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:49 am
Posts: 25
Location: Sebastopol, Ca
I have both the JESLA and 40FT JLONG - I keep the JLONG in the vehicle and have been saved numerous times by being able to charge when someone has parked or blocked a public station. When I am heading out anywhere for a trip - I take the JESLA as well. I think the price was worth the portability and the ability to maximize use all of the different type plugs - including RV parks.

_________________
2013 Rav4 EV
2015 BMW I3 REX
JESLA, 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution
JLong, ---- J1772 extension cord


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:27 am
Posts: 13
That was the idea with my evseupgrade.com unit until it was stolen. :-(

bdunst wrote:
I have both the JESLA and 40FT JLONG - I keep the JLONG in the vehicle and have been saved numerous times by being able to charge when someone has parked or blocked a public station. When I am heading out anywhere for a trip - I take the JESLA as well. I think the price was worth the portability and the ability to maximize use all of the different type plugs - including RV parks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I just bought # 3361!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 4065
Location: San Diego
kieranmullen wrote:
That was the idea with my evseupgrade.com unit until it was stolen. :-(

bdunst wrote:
I have both the JESLA and 40FT JLONG - I keep the JLONG in the vehicle and have been saved numerous times by being able to charge when someone has parked or blocked a public station. When I am heading out anywhere for a trip - I take the JESLA as well. I think the price was worth the portability and the ability to maximize use all of the different type plugs - including RV parks.


The 2011-2012 Nissan LEAF / Panasonic portable won't work on Tesla powered vehicles, including the Toyota Rav4 EV and Mercedes B-Class ED (B250e).

The 2013 version will.

I have a EVSEupgrade version of the 2013 Nissan unit, with programming from 6 to 25 amps in 1 amp increments. $500 with L6-30 plug.

Of course, we can also sell you a JESLA / JLong combo.

_________________
Tony Williams
QC Charge
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group