Costco TPMS replacement... now ABS/anti-skid warning lights on

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug401

Yesterday Costco rotated tires and replaced one TPMS sensor. Now the ABS and Anti-skid warnings are illuminated.
They said the lights should go away after driving. I know this is true for the TPMS/low tire pressure light, but ABS is still on.

Battery is new. I disconnected the 12v. No help. I can drive, and charge, and sport mode works.
I'm hoping they may extinguish over time.

Any ideas?

2012 Rav4 EV w/Chademo
Anacortes WA
70,000 miles

I assume that the procedure was violated when changing the tires and now it is necessary to perform the function of calibrating the zero point of the steering wheel position sensors and/or the acceleration and yaw sensors. If you don't have an adequate scantool, such as Toyota Techstream, you can read and clear the fault codes of that system and perform the calibration without the scantools. How is it described in the repair manual of this model.

Example: Reading fault codes from fault indicators flashes using BoB

Where the faults of the ABS and VSC are not erased by disconnecting the 12V battery. The procedure for erasing them (screenshot from RM) is shown in the 30th second of this video.
One can only regret that the locksmiths at Costco don't know this...
AFAIK, in case the warning light does not go out, the first thing to do is to read the fault codes of the bad system.

Last edited:
i never had my ABS light on when this was done. it did take about an hour of driving for the tire light to go out tho. ( and almost exactly 24 hrs.)

You are correct alflash.
I borrowed a scan tool from local auto parts store. In sub-menu ABS, I cleared several fault codes, but C1345 will not clear. "Linear Solenoid Valve Offset Learning Undone". It requires re-calibration via a better scan tool... i.e. Xtool or Autel.

After speaking to Costco, they said they have been having problems with Toyotas using their test equipment. So I'm not the first. They said to take it to dealer and bring them the bill.

I will review video with jumper wire, and 8 brake pedal pumps, but not sure if that will clear C1345?
Thanks for help
Viva la Ukraine

IMG_0851.jpeg

You are correct alflash.
I borrowed a scan tool from local auto parts store. In sub-menu ABS, I cleared several fault codes, but C1345 will not clear. "Linear Solenoid Valve Offset Learning Undone". It requires re-calibration via a better scan tool... i.e. Xtool or Autel.

After speaking to Costco, they said they have been having problems with Toyotas using their test equipment. So I'm not the first. They said to take it to dealer and bring them the bill.

I will review video with jumper wire, and 8 brake pedal pumps, but not sure if that will clear C1345?
Thanks for help
Viva la Ukraine

View attachment 175
You can perform this procedure yourself without the use of diagnostic tools and and without visiting a dealer (as is show in Rav4ev repair manual).
AS example, https://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/zero.png

I would venture to suggest that Costco employees familiarize themselves with the precautions and rules for changing tires and be sure to follow them so that there are no such incidents in the future.

Last edited:
Doug lives close enough to me that I invited him over to my garage, where he used Techstream to clear all codes (which left only C1345: requires initialization/calibration to clear). We were unable to access the second of two utility options for the Electronic Brake Control ("EBC"), which gave a "can't communicate" message. The first EBC-R option worked but all options except "fluid exchange" were greyed-out and unavailable.

Then, he followed the repair manual's advice 2(a)(7): "Enter the following menus: Chassis / ABS/VSC/TRAC / Utility / Reset Memory."

After performing EBC Reset Memory, the second EBC Utility option was then accessible, and we followed the repair manual's advice 2(b)(8): "Enter the following menus: Chassis / ABS/VSC/TRAC / Utility / ECB* Utility / Linear Valve Offset."

That allowed the initialization/calibration to proceed, and two minutes later after the procedure completed, he cycled the IG. The ABS/VSC etc. errors were cleared and the instrument cluster no longer had any abnormal lights lighted.

As the vehicle must not be in Ready mode, only turned on (HV contactors open), the DC-DC Converter was not powered, which left the 12v battery unsupported. Doing most anything non-trivial with the various ECUs demands that the voltage stay up, so I connected a battery charger while performing the init/cal.

---

If you don't mind using an older version of Techstream, there's a recipe for a free software setup that runs under VirtualBox on most Win hosts.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-techstream-in-5-minutes.1034923/
That recipe works well, though of course it's a bit slow, being a complete virtualized WinXP install. Still, slow isn't always a bad thing.

You'll still need to acquire a J2534 OBDII<->USB dongle, though. Available "everywhere" (ie Amazon, eBay, etc. for cheap ones).

Last edited:
...I will review video with jumper wire, and 8 brake pedal pumps, but not sure if that will clear C1345?
Thanks for help
Viva la Ukraine

View attachment 175
doug401, congratulations on successfully fixing the problem of your vehicle!

Note. Those interested can download the original/official (non-hacker*) versions of Techstream, including the final** version of this program 18.00.008 (WXP, W7, W10, W11)***, and receive their free activation.

* Without the risk of putting a Chinese spy on your laptop.
** "The King is dead, long live the King!!" https://alflash.com.ua/tis/___GTSplus/gts_plus_releas.jpg
*** Let me remind you that the final version 18.00.008 covers all models up to 2024MY, and covers only the '24MY Lexus NX250/350/350h/450h+ and UX250h and BEV '24MY Toyota bZ4X. But he doesn't know anything about, for example, the BEV Lexus RZ450e.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInf...info/html/prelogin/tsrss/ts_new_features.html

p.s. About chinese fake cable mini-VCI
https://alflash.com.ua/2018/image/sum2a.gif
sum2a.gif

Last edited:
I'd like to thank alflash and asavage for all their help.
In addition to fixing my issue, I now have a fully dedicated laptop with TechStream and TPD with cables up and running.

I'm an outlier with my 2012 with 70,000 miles. Zero issues in 14 years, other than codes thrown twice due to others, body shop and tire shop. But time waits for no one. My day will come.

Viva La Ukraine

Back