Latest firmware? Tesla-1.3.101, Nav-VB503200, GPS-6/1/13

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a word of caution from someone who's been there, done that ...
Navteq generates the update in June.
Toyota generates their updated USB drive in January
Your dealer might get it in February,
When you purchase the update for about $200, all you get is a password, you don't get the USB drive.
The dealer has to hookup his computer to your RAV and it takes close to an hour to copy and install the update from the USB drive.
Your dealer will be charging you computer time and tech time for the installation. Find out how much before you buy the password!!!
Your iPhone or Android has a much more recently updated GPS, and the service is "free"

I was referring to the "other" firmware updates . . . Tesla Gateway ECU, Center Console Head Unit, etc, basically anything that has something to do, or interfaces, with the Tesla side of the car. Toyota is reluctant to "disturb" any of these areas of the car. However, by now, they must have heard countless complains from owners about scheduled charging anomalies. As far as I'm concerned, Gateway ECU firmware V1.3.83 - if that is where these anomalies can be corrected - STILL has not addressed hardly any, if any of these complaints. :roll:

jimbo69ny said:
There are only two firmwares to update. The Nav and the Gateway.
Actually, I think there are 3. Tesla Gateway ECU (updated at the rear OBD port), some Toyota ECU (updated at the front OBD port), and the NAV unit which is updated by USB. A TSB clearly called out some update to the Toyota side.

Am I mistaken, or can we only tell what software revision level we are on (except for the NAV related software) by looking for a paper post-it note under the hood? Shouldn't there be some digital means of telling what the current software level is?

You are correct, an owner will only know about the firmware version if the technician puts the sticker on the underside of the hood or notes it in the paperwork at the time of service. Reading the firmware version from the car requires technician's software (Techstream) and the proper OBD interface cables.

Are firmware updates considered part of the 2 yr 25,000 miles complimentary service or is it under the 3 yr. 36,000 mile warranty? I will pass 28k next week :)

Dianne,
Your tech updated my car for it's 5k checkup when I bought the car but there is NO sticker at all under the hood. Is that something that you can mail to me? I'm assuming there are records kept for work done on certified used cars?

Thanks for checking for me. I'm guessing there are others here in the same boat.

The sticker under the hood has been a sore subject for some time. Toyota's TSB procedure "requires" it, but it seems many Toyota Dealers' Service Technicians either don't have access to such stickers and/or they simply ignore the requirement to place the sticker under the hood. Thus, leaving the owner of the vehicle in the dark (other than what may be documented on the service order paperwork). Such a simple thing . . . very frustrating for the vehicle owners who have very good "attention to detail" skills. :roll:

I just took mine in for the update. And, there was no sticker under the hood. I talked to the SA about this. After she conferred with the technician who worked on the vehicle, she told me that they didn't put one on the hood because they didn't have any in stock. She told me that the system they update will have all of the relevant information, and that it's available to any Toyota dealer.

On one hand, it annoys me that they aren't following their own procedures. On another, I'm glad it didn't turn in to a situation where they had to "order a part" before they could perform the work, or release the vehicle. My navigation version was not what is noted in this thread. As I didn't have any specific TSB to reference, I was more or less told to pound sand.

Joel

How do you get the firmware update outside California?
Can every Toyota dealer update the software?

Clemens

eschatfische said:
FYI: the latest firmware with the speed sensor recall fix is calibration ID 1.3.101
Correct. I just had the recall on my 2012 RAV4 EV completed at Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA. Only took about 1/2 a day to get done (no loaner). I now have "three" separate Tesla ECM firmware update calibration ID stickers under my hood; 1.3.76, 1.3.83 and now 1.3.101 and probably skipped a few along the way.

Also, while I was at the dealer, I made sure the warranty on my car will not expire for at least 4 more years! :mrgreen:

The local Toyota dealer has the cable to connect the ECU - but they are not communicating.
They can read out the Error list ( under the dashbord) but not the ECU.

The local Toyota dealer has the cable to connect the ECU - but they are not communicating.
They can read out the Error list ( under the dashbord) but not the ECU.

The RAV4 EV has two ECUs, the Toyota ECU (with the OBD in the front) and the Tesla ECU (with the OBD in the back). Are you sure they tried connecting to the rear ECU with the correct cable and the Tesla Powertrain Service Diagnostics app? You'll want to make sure they are following the update procedure in T-SB-0043-13 (Toyota's documentation on how to flash Tesla firmware to the RAV4 EV) to the letter.

Back