Latest firmware? Tesla-1.3.101, Nav-VB503200, GPS-6/1/13

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miimura said:
Regarding the NAV S/W update, it would seem that VB503150 still remains the latest version.

I'm still on VB503102. Any early owners know what the difference would be other than probably bug fixes? Any new features?

Dsinned said:
miimura said:
Just got my car back from its 10k service.

"PERFORMED POWERTRAIN SOFTWARE UPDATE TESLA" no TSB or firmware rev number given.
"PERFORMED CHARGING MANAGEMENT UPDATE, 896B34201500, 896B54201300" no TSB given, but modification sticker with these numbers was applied under the hood.
NAV system still shows VB503150, as it did before the service visit.
Miimura, if you have the printout for T-SB-0010-14, these two specific "896B . . . " numbers are referenced there, resulting in Calibration ID: "1.3.83", which should also be put on the sticker under the hood. My dealer did not even bother to apply a new sticker - even though I specifically told them this is a requirement of the update procedure, but these same identical numbers are referenced on the paperwork for the last service they did to my car. Ergo, I have concluded that my Tesla F/W most likely is at the latest level, i.e. 1.3.83.

Regarding the NAV S/W update, it would seem that VB503150 still remains the latest version. I do not know why some other owners cars reported on here were supposedly updated to NAV S?W version "VB503200" and ours were not!
I think the head unit is upgraded through the USB and my dealer only did the Techstream laptop based updates on the Main OBD & Tesla OBD ports. Since they said they did the Tesla update, I've concluded that my car also has 1.3.83 even though they did not call out the firmware rev. anywhere. Clearly my tech should have put the Tesla update 1.3.83 number on the label too since it is also referenced in TSB-0010-14.

I'm not sure of my source (a dealer) or the information, but late last week I was informed that a few weeks ago my car did not get a FULL upgrade (nor a new Calibration ID sticker) because there is another upgrade due out on or after May 15th. I do not know what version this will be or whether or not it pertains to the Tesla or Toyota side of the car or perhaps both. Has anybody else heard anything similar and/or known any more details?

Njs1987 said:
Are you guys paying for the TSB to be performed or is it covered under the warranty?
I take mine in at the scheduled 5,000 mile interval that is covered in the first 2 years by ToyotaCare and they apply all the TSBs (firmware updates) at that time. If you took it in and told them that the car was working fine but you wanted a specific update, I don't know if they would try to charge you.

Dsinned said:
I'm not sure of my source (a dealer) or the information, but late last week I was informed that a few weeks ago my car did not get a FULL upgrade (nor a new Calibration ID sticker) because there is another upgrade due out on or after May 15th. I do not know what version this will be or whether or not it pertains to the Tesla or Toyota side of the car or perhaps both. Has anybody else heard anything similar and/or known any more details?
Did you ever receive confirmation of this new software upgrade? Do you have any documentation if it was indeed released? I'm taking in my Rav4 EV today for new tires, and if there's a software update, I may as well do it at the same time.

I have my next appointment for next Friday (June 20th) to have the latest firmware update(s?). I have no documentation, but presumably there is a "new" update available and that was just confirmed by my dealer over the phone. Also, there is no charge for an update. Good luck to you and same to me! :mrgreen:

My dealership didn't find any updates for the RAV4 EV in Toyota's system and said I have the most recent software versions (i.e., 1.3.83 and VB503200). If you're told anything different at your appointment, please try to get the TSB number and software version #s.

Will do. I know I don't yet have center console NAV software version VB503200. I only have VB503150, which as you know is easy to verify. I'm not sure what version I have in my Gateway ECU, which I am most curious to know. I got that unit replaced earlier this year, after I experience the "screen of death" once, but was never told what version it had at the time it was replaced. The sticker under my hood still says, "1.3.79" which I got BEFORE the ECU was replaced. I suspect I now should have 1.3.83 in the replacement unit, but who knows? :roll:

Btw, does anybody know if by hooking up a "universal" OBD-II scanner to Gateway ECU diagnostic port if the software version number (aka Calibration ID) can be determined?

OKay, so on Friday I had my dealer perform another update. Now, I have Tesla V1.3.83 according to the new under hood sticker, but my center console NAV is still at VB503150; no change. I specifically requested ANY AND ALL firmware updates, including the NAV, and this is not the first time! My car seems totally fine, so I am not going to worry about it.

On the phone scheduling my 15,000 mile appt now. Asking if they have the firmware updates, or if they have done them before. Person on phone doesn't know, but is asking me if I would like the oil changed while I'm there...

I got my GPS upgrade at a local dealer in Late January. They were very nice but made it clear to me that they could not service my car. Got a recent robo-call from the same dealer saying that it was time for my next service and asking to be my full service dealer.

We got the latest Tesla firmware a couple weeks ago (EV Gateway Control (Tesla Firmware): 1.3.83) but waiting on the dealership to get the right hardware to flash our NAV to Navigation Firmware: VB503200 (we're currently on VB503150)

We still had the 31st of the month charge timer failure last night. Hopefully VB503200 will resolve that.

TeCKis300 said:
We got the latest Tesla firmware a couple weeks ago (EV Gateway Control (Tesla Firmware): 1.3.83) but waiting on the dealership to get the right hardware to flash our NAV to Navigation Firmware: VB503200 (we're currently on VB503150)

We still had the 31st of the month charge timer failure last night. Hopefully VB503200 will resolve that.

The Nav firmware had nothing to do with the charge timer. I my firmwarr flashed to .83 in April, forgot to plug in on May 31st, But lo and
Behold, it charged today! I'm still on Nav firmware VB503102, which is
even older than VB503150.

How often does Toyota usually issue updates? From what I can tell the Nav firmware is over a year old, and it's the latest one mentioned in this thread. Isn't it kinda old?

You need to buy the updates for the nav. Roads change, businesses change, and they charge if you want the newest navigation update.

jimbo69ny said:
You need to buy the updates for the nav. Roads change, businesses change, and they charge if you want the newest navigation update.
On this car, the map data and the head unit firmware are separate. You have to pay for the map data. You have to convince a Toyota technician that there is a newer firmware and there is a reason to load it.

miimura said:
jimbo69ny said:
On this car, the map data and the head unit firmware are separate. You have to pay for the map data. You have to convince a Toyota technician that there is a newer firmware and there is a reason to load it.
Easier said then done . . . been there, done that, but no joy. It's like trying to break in to Ft. Knox to get Toyota to do anything "above and beyond" when it comes to keeping the RAV4 EV up to date with respect to firmware. They never do ANY updating "voluntarily", and even asking specifically, they often do not comply. :roll:

Nor would they with a Nav system. A nav system in any vehicle, a garmin, a Magellan, all need updates after a period of time. Our redheaded Rav is no different.

Back