Latest firmware? Tesla-1.3.101, Nav-VB503200, GPS-6/1/13

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Tony updated the title of this thread to 1.3.83 from 1.3.79 (maybe becuase of my report above?)

Anyone know wha that the difference between 1.3.79 and 1.3.83 is?

See the other firmware thread, 1.3.83 is out (its dated 10/16/2013) and i got it at my dealer this week. (I didnt ask for it, i just asked them to check for firmware. I expected them to update to 1.3.79 but the diagnostic report they gave me after the 10K service said 1.3.83 on it).

The past two times (5k and 10k service) that I took my car in to Santa Monica Toyota, I've asked them to update my firmware and they told me none is needed. I told them that there's been numerous updates since I've purchased the car in April of 2013. The guy says he'll doublecheck and comes back in 2 minutes and says my car is up-to-date. How is this even possible? Do they think I'm talking about some other firmware that is not showing up in their system or do they really just want to do as little as possible to service my car?

Khaihon said:
The past two times (5k and 10k service) that I took my car in to Santa Monica Toyota, I've asked them to update my firmware and they told me none is needed. I told them that there's been numerous updates since I've purchased the car in April of 2013. The guy says he'll doublecheck and comes back in 2 minutes and says my car is up-to-date. How is this even possible? Do they think I'm talking about some other firmware that is not showing up in their system or do they really just want to do as little as possible to service my car?
This really doesn't pass the "Smell Test". Ask them to tell you what "Calibration ID" is in the Gateway ECU. My car was also delivered in April and it originally had 1.3.37. It was updated to 1.3.62 on 10/31/13 with T-SB-0050-13 Rev1 when my car was in for its 5,000 mile service. This TSB has obviously been superseded a couple times with at least 1.3.79 and 1.3.83. I don't know the current TSB number.

Really, I think you need to escalate to the service manager, the dealership customer service manager, or take the car somewhere else that actually cares to work on these cars properly.

Well i now know for sure that the 1.3.83 does *not* prevent the "Check EV System" error from occurring because it happened to me last night.
I was kind of hoping that having later firmware would eliminate that problem.

Unless of course, i have a *different* check EV System error than others have. (which would be just like new software...)

What certainly seems warranted at this late stage is for Toyota/Tesla to hook up an in-circuit CPU emulator debugger to the Gateway ECU and "capture" everything in software and hardware going on at the precise moment this fault occurs. Until this is done, without having the original HW/SW designer(s) directly involved, I don't think anyone else will have a clue what is causing this problem or more importantly, how to fix it!

Repeatedly updating the firmware and/or replacing ECUs is NOT the answer!

Surely, this problem has occurred often enough, both randomly and unpredictably, on so many different RAV4 EVs, (suggesting it will eventually occur to them ALL), that a much higher level of troubleshooting is essential at this point! Imho, there is some sort of "design defect" that definitely needs to be addressed.

Again, blindly replacing parts and updating computer firmware is not the cure all, end all to resolving this problem!

Went in for our 10k service and got the latest firmware last week. Of course, the Toyota techs didn't place the sticker or indicate the calibration ID, but it was stated in the service record that the firmware was updated to the latest available version in both the power management ECU and the propulsion ECU - which is the first time I had seen those listed separately.

While the driving experience has been identical, there have been a few clear differences in charging and power management which I think can be chalked up to more than coincidence:

* No more incorrect "charge interrupted" emails when we unplug the car after a full charge! Huzzah!

* When plugging in while the charge timer is set, I no longer hear a brief period of the buzzing charging noises as I have in the past. There are now just a couple of clicks and a brief period of quiet fan noise. There have not been any problems with the charge timer, but we haven't missed a charge or had any particularly unpredictable behavior since we got 1.3.62 in October.

* The GOM was at 120m leaving the dealership at ~80% charge, which is higher than I've ever seen it on a standard charge. While I thought the prior data may have just been cleared and it would soon nosedive to our usual 96-104m GOM readout after a standard charge, it has remained high. In addition, when turning on the heater, the GOM jumps downward much further than it would have previously. I believe that they may have updated the GOM logic to be more accurate, or at least different, listing a longer range without the heater and a shorter range with the heater. The current readings do seem much more in line with the range we're able to get out of the RAV in various scenarios.

Toyota really needs to put out customer-facing release notes for these firmware releases, which have included some very significant bug fixes; I think it would help a lot with the FUD surrounding the RAV and some of the anger at the service process if they did. There will only be 2600 of us, how hard could it be for Toyota to mail us some friendly notices? Hey Toyota, you've been actually fixing things, take credit for it!

That said, we're at 12k without any mechanical failures (not even a problem with the heater), not a single "Check EV System" message, and no serious software issues since the charge timer issues were addressed last year - even though we have a 2012 with a low VIN. It seems a lot less like an "Experimental Vehicle" now than when my wife and I bought it.

* The GOM was at 120m leaving the dealership at ~80% charge, which is higher than I've ever seen it on a standard charge. While I thought the prior data may have just been cleared and it would soon nosedive to our usual 96-104m GOM readout after a standard charge, it has remained high. In addition, when turning on the heater, the GOM jumps downward much further than it would have previously. I believe that they may have updated the GOM logic to be more accurate, or at least different, listing a longer range without the heater and a shorter range with the heater. The current readings do seem much more in line with the range we're able to get out of the RAV in various scenarios.

After my 10k service, I initally felt that the range on the GOM was increased, but after a few days (my wife drives it half the time) it's back to the same as before. :shock:

Went in today for my RAV4 EV 5,000 mile service at Tustin Toyota, which is near my home. (I originally got it from Carson Toyota last October) I asked the service advisor to check and upgrade it to the latest firmware. First he looked on his computer and saw there is no service campaign for my 2013 RAV4 EV and said there is no update available. I told him that the firmware upgrade is not necessarily due to a recall. He added a line in the work order to check for updates. He called 2 hours later saying that the service is completed. I went in to get the car and he told me that even though there is a firmware update available, Toyota advised his technician that if there is no problem with the vehicle (so far there hasn't been any problem), then to take the stance that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it", so the firmware wasn't updated.

tjka4231 said:
Went in today for my RAV4 EV 5,000 mile service at Tustin Toyota, which is near my home. (I originally got it from Carson Toyota last October) I asked the service advisor to check and upgrade it to the latest firmware. First he looked on his computer and saw there is no service campaign for my 2013 RAV4 EV and said there is no update available. I told him that the firmware upgrade is not necessarily due to a recall. He added a line in the work order to check for updates. He called 2 hours later saying that the service is completed. I went in to get the car and he told me that even though there is a firmware update available, Toyota advised his technician that if there is no problem with the vehicle (so far there hasn't been any problem), then to take the stance that "if it isn't broke, don't fix it", so the firmware wasn't updated.

I guess Toyota will honor my warranty on my Camry when I tell them I never changed the oil because the car was working fine and nothing was broken. :shock: :shock:

You need to take it back and demand the firmware upgrade. It is part of the service and was done for a reason.

bruin nut said:
tjka4231 said:

I guess Toyota will honor my warranty on my Camry when I tell them I never changed the oil because the car was working fine and nothing was broken. :shock: :shock:

You need to take it back and demand the firmware upgrade. It is part of the service and was done for a reason.

Apples and Oranges comparison.
An oil change is a standard part of maintenance for X amount of miles driven.

an iphone 5 running on OS 6 still works fine, Even though there's numerous OS7 updates out there.
the owner can continuously use his phone the way it was designed even without the update.

mark_rivers19 said:
bruin nut said:
tjka4231 said:

an iphone 5 running on OS 6 still works fine, Even though there's numerous OS7 updates out there.
the owner can continuously use his phone the way it was designed even without the update.
Yes, you can continue to use your iPhone 5 with iOS 6 and deal with the consequences of the SSL bug and many other smaller bugs. You can also continue to use the RAV4 EV without any updates and deal with the EVSE compatibility and vehicle charge timer issues as well. I purposely did not update my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 until the SSL bug was revealed, but I recommend that people upgrade now. I also recommend that people get all the updates on the RAV4 EV because there are noticeable improvements. For example, they finally fixed the 31st bug sometime in the second half of 2013.

I got a hold of a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin for the latest RAV4 EV firmware update to 1.3.83. I will take this TSB to the dealer and ask that the firmware update to be done. I couldn't attach the document to the posting so I created images of each page. The TSB has 6 pages. I could only put in 3 images per posting. Here are the first 3 pages.

Just in case there is any doubt about whether to get the latest updates on the RAV4 EV, Toyota says
To ensure the best ownership experience, it is important to confirm the software is the most current version available.
in the TSB posted above.

I'm with you guys on getting the latest update. Just to be clear on the subject matter.

I'm just disagreeing with the notion that IF you didn't get the update right away, it's comparable to an ICE RAV 4 running on it's 18,000 miles with no oil changes ( interval is 10,000 for synthetic).

I just had my 10,000 mile scheduled maintenance this afternoon.
Promised time was 2 hours which got push back every 30 minutes, total was 4 hours.
I didn't mind since im helping a family member pick a Land Cruiser in the showroom

Anyway, as others have mentioned already, here are some noticable difference/ improvement.

1. 124 miles on the Guess O Meter on standard charge.
- my highest was 101 prior to the update.

2. Using Entune app for manual charging, one click is enough. "charge start notification" right away.
- prior to the update, it's always " charge failure notification" on the first try.
- only on the second attempt will be the actual " charge start notification".

3. The Guess O Meter is a little more reliable. It coincides with the actual miles driven.

I went by my Tustin Toyota dealer and asked them to schedule the firmware upgrade. So tomorrow at 9 am I am scheduled to come in. Thanks for the information.
Manny

mark_rivers19 said:
bruin nut said:
tjka4231 said:

+1

I brought my Rav4EV in for the firmware upgrade. After about 20 minutes the Service Writer came over and asked me what kind of problems I was having with the charging. I had to admit none. Everything works as it should. The car always charges between the hours of 12 midnight and 6 am without fail. He then said that the service tech needed to open a ticket with Toyota before he could do the firmware. As it turns out it is not exactly as stated in the TSB. Based upon the problem Toyota will recommend certain things done. So, I decided rather than tell him something that was not true I would just forget getting this update.
Manny

Back