Tesla Battery Replacement

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vach

Apologies if this post or something similar is somewhere on the forums, I couldn't find one.

Based on the history of the generation one RAV4 EV, I had some concerns when I went out to buy my RAV4 EV. I like to plan ahead with things, so I was thinking. If I wanted to replace the Tesla-built battery in 5-10 years... would I still be able to purchase this battery from a Toyota Authorized dealer? What about 10+ years? Is Toyota and Tesla going to continue their partnership for the entire life of any of these cars sold?

It's interesting, because (assuming) Tesla is going to be around for awhile, what are the actual contract agreements between these two large companies.

It might be pessimistic, but again I am someone who likes to plan very far ahead with things of this nature. Does anyone have any insight on this? I am trying to communicate directly with some people in Toyota but I doubt that will go anywhere.

It doesn't matter what the contract is between Toyota and Tesla. Toyota must provide parts for 10 years.

But, the simple answer is that these batteries in the Rav4 are "off the shelf" Panasonic 18650's that are in BILLIONS (<<<<---not exaggeration) of consumer electronics. I absolutely guarantee that somebody will happily take your money to pop out the current cells for new ones in ten years (if Toyota or Tesla can't).

Sounds good.

Based on the information I got back from Toyota, they answered with even more positive response, basically stating what you did but also saying that they will have parts forever if need be, or provide internal Toyota alternatives.

Sweet!

Does anybody know how much it costs to replace the battery? I was calculating how long it would take to break even based solely on fuel savings and for us (based on how much we drive and fuel economy) it would take about 10 years - meaning we'll likely have to replace the battery at least once if we keep it.

Ouch! If I buy your car I hope I never have to replace the battery!!!

You made a comment about the possibility of someone like you rebuilding or upgrading the battery. What are the odds that you think you will someday take on the task of upgrading Rav batteries?

Amazon lists 100 cells for $800. So how many do I need again?
Easy as replacing a flashlight battery right ;)

jimbo69ny said:
Ouch! If I buy your car I hope I never have to replace the battery!!!

You made a comment about the possibility of someone like you rebuilding or upgrading the battery. What are the odds that you think you will someday take on the task of upgrading Rav batteries?

That is a number of years away. No plans currently, but when folks start wanting new batteries, we'll start seriously looking at getting the cells.

There may be some BMS modifications to make, in addition to physically swapping the cells. Plus, we have to dispose of the old ones.

pchilds said:
smkettner said:
Amazon lists 100 cells for $800. So how many do I need again?
Easy as replacing a flashlight battery right ;)
4500-4600

Here's my guesstimate:

Here is the Tesla 85kWh battery specs:

3100ma Panasonic 18650 cells

7104 total cells

So, a 45kWh battery in the Rav4 EV will be 45/85 the number of 3100ma cells, or:

(45/85) * 7104 = 3760.94 cells

We need 3100/2900 more cells for the smaller 2900ma cells in the Rav4 EV, or:

1.06896552 * 3760.94 cells = 4020 cells in Rav4 EV

Well the fact that your considering this and your willing to take on the task if need be makes me feel better about owning a Rav EV. I would hate to be left high and dry by both Toyota and Tesla. The Rav EV seems to be the child no car manufacturer wants to build or service.

jimbo69ny said:
Well the fact that your considering this and your willing to take on the task if need be makes me feel better about owning a Rav EV. I would hate to be left high and dry by both Toyota and Tesla. The Rav EV seems to be the child no car manufacturer wants to build or service.

We likely will be on our own, yes.

TonyWilliams said:
smkettner said:
What is stopping us from using the 3400 mAh version?
Well, I expect by the time this project is actually needed, there will be 4000ma cells.

Which would give us about a 62kWh battery pack ?!

:twisted:

Back