SoCal EV Meet Up Saturday, June 27, 8am - 11am, Santa Ana

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
fromport said:
TonyWilliams said:
One week to go!
172 miles one way, will have to take an ICE to get there :-(
That would suck. If you can drive 55mph, you'd probably only need about 90 minutes of charge each way in the middle (assuming 208v/30amp). You can get 240v/40 amp at my house when you get here.

I have done 3 trips with 160+ miles already on a full charge and those trip included passing the grapevine (back and forth).
So shouldn't be a problem with driving economical. Will try and plan and see if I can make it work ;-)

JasonA said:
Now I know who's GC3 on the eco list! :lol: You're consistently up there in the 4's
I wish I were, my average is 3.85miles/kWh (always in top10 though). Am now 6 months number 1 on the "lightfoot" index.
But according to entunes, I only scored "silver" this far for ranking. :twisted:

I think we had five RAV4 EV's at my house for the after party. Here's a picture of breakfast:

image.jpg1_1.jpg

JasonA said:
392 miles total trip. And a lot rain/traffic going back.
I think the Rav needs a bigger battery! :D

395.2 miles total trip ;-)
Fast charging is *awesome*

beginsSC.jpg

endSC.jpg

Going from 16 miles range to 82 in 30 minutes.

JasonA said:
I'm glad you guys were able to get another board up and running! Kinda worried you were going to be stuck on L2 going all the way back home! :eek:

Yeah wasn't looking forward to that ;-)

I left 3:30am with extended charge, 150 miles range according to the GoM
begin_to_sand_extended_charge.jpg

I drove 55 mph with no heating/fan on. It was 50 degrees when I started but during the trip i've seen 55 but mostly in the upper 40's
The day before I left, found a person on plugshare who shares a 14-50 outlet available for charging of EV's in san clemente.
That was about 75% of my trip so thought that would be a good place to stop for a while
traveled 126 miles in 3 hours, so 42 miles/h average
75percentdriven.jpg

Had my openevse with me, so set it to 40 amp (I can only charge 24 amps at home)
I charged for 90 minutes, sometimes put the car on to have the heat seating on to warm up a little, 45 there ;-)
chargingwithaview.jpg

The GoM had gone up to 64 and my last leg would be about 55 miles so should cut it close, but I had a deadline to make.
Drove faster that last leg, and after 70 minutes arrived at Tony's place, where I could charge for the way back.
I arrived with my dreaded "Very low battery" warning on and only 9 miles in the batteries and 10 minutes before the deadline ;-)
arrival_end_point.jpg

Total travel time: 5 hours 40 minutes to bridge 182 miles.
average speed including charging: 32 miles/h ;-(

Hooked up my rav and went with tony to the breakfast meeting.
When we came back, the car had about a normal charge (130 miles according to the GoM)
Tony installed the quick charger, made trips to 2 different chargers (one was just occupied and would take 30 minutes so we moved on to the next)
When everything was working and I headed home, I only had 86 miles left.
Drove until traffic got really dense and decided to look for a chademo. I found a good reference for one in Downey, so I headed there. Arrived with 16 miles left, hooked up the Chademo and did a 30 minutes, 50 kW (115 amps) charge.
When I left after 30 minutes, the GoM was up to 86, Waze told me I need about 75 to get home.
Due to the traffic waze gave me a different route home which probably was longer, but less congested.
I knew I would gain efficiency on the last part driving into Ventura county where I live.
Arrived 9:30p, with "low battery" 17 miles left, and a total trip of 395 miles. Not bad for an EV! ;-)
roundtrip.jpg

If I would have had to this with L2 charging, I would have needed at least 3 hours of charging to make it home.

Fast charging is such a game changer for a rav4.
I am so happy...

wish we could have made it to SoCal for a meet up - but SoOhio a long cold way away!
I'm impressed you are able to charge to 150 miles....
in the cold,best we can do is get to 75-80, (only had the car since December), and hoping to get a little better when warm out....are there secrets (like finding easter eggs in a program, the tech in these cars has to hold some secrets) ?

we went out and brought a Rav4 home after driving it - first ev a tesla....only hesitation is the range but we love it....

thanks

drdoug said:
wish we could have made it to SoCal for a meet up - but SoOhio a long cold way away!
I'm impressed you are able to charge to 150 miles....
in the cold,best we can do is get to 75-80, (only had the car since December), and hoping to get a little better when warm out....are there secrets (like finding easter eggs in a program, the tech in these cars has to hold some secrets) ?

we went out and brought a Rav4 home after driving it - first ev a tesla....only hesitation is the range but we love it....

thanks

You are likely referring to the GOM when you think you only have 75-80 miles. It's not the same as the rated range on the Tesla Model S.

TonyWilliams said:
I think we had five RAV4 EV's at my house for the after party.

I enjoyed the breakfast, thanks for putting everything together. I had a brief chat with Beth on the walk in, she sure likes her B class. I sat next to FROMPORT and had a nice chat. I'm glad his drive home was faster due to Chademo. Sorry I missed the after party, I would have liked to make it to your place after but unfortunately I had to leave early to be at my daughter's school at 11:30. Chademo looking awesome - getting excited!

SoCal EV Meet Ups in Orange County, San Diego County, Riverside and Los Angeles County:

All meet-ups on Saturday:

FEB 21, 2015 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

future - Poway (San Diego County), 9:30am - 11:30am - Hamburger Factory Restaurant, 14122 Midland Road, Poway (858) 486-4575. We have a private room reserved in the back. Just ask your hostess to direct you. Please park in the lot to the NORTH of Aubrey Street. This is a change from previous meets.

future - Cerritos (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 11471 South St, Cerritos, 562-402-8307

future - Northridge (Los Angeles County), 12 noon to 2pm, Bob's Big Boy, 8876 Corbin Ave, Northridge (818) 772-2627 NOTE: may not be active. Third Saturday monthly - Northridge (Los Angeles County) 12pm - 3pm - Bob’s Big Boy in Northridge, 8876 Corbin Ave., Northridge, (818) 772-2627. Southeast corner of Northridge Way and Corbin Ave. NOTE: may not be active

TonyWilliams said:
SoCal EV Meet Ups in Orange County, San Diego County, Riverside and Los Angeles County:
FEB 21, 2015 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

I had a great time at the meeting today.

Here my 3rd quick charge report:

Started with my rav normally charged.
Gom said 112 when I left home.
Arrived after 84.1 miles, gom said 42 miles left ( so driven and range left was 126 miles vs 112 initially predicted)
After meeting drove to QC place.

Gom was down to 32 miles left.
Plugged in to CHAdeMO charger.
eaton_QC.jpg

Charger said I had 16% left in my battery.
Let it charge for 32 minutes, battery was up to 81%, 23.5 kWh added, Gom said range of 120 miles (with fan off, with fan on it dropped to 91 miles)
QC_done.jpg

Arrived home with 180 miles driven today and 27 miles on the Gom to go.

Driving these distances without a QC would have taken at least 4 times longer to charge up.

--

April 11, 2015 - Cerritos (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 11471 South St, Cerritos, 562-402-8307

April 25, 2015 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

future - Poway (San Diego County), 9:30am - 11:30am - Hamburger Factory Restaurant, 14122 Midland Road, Poway (858) 486-4575. We have a private room reserved in the back. Just ask your hostess to direct you. Please park in the lot to the NORTH of Aubrey Street. This is a change from previous meets.

future - Northridge (Los Angeles County), 12 noon to 2pm, Bob's Big Boy, 8876 Corbin Ave, Northridge (818) 772-2627 NOTE: may not be active. Third Saturday monthly - Northridge (Los Angeles County) 12pm - 3pm - Bob’s Big Boy in Northridge, 8876 Corbin Ave., Northridge, (818) 772-2627. Southeast corner of Northridge Way and Corbin Ave. NOTE: may not be active

April 11, 2015 - Cerritos (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 11471 South St, Cerritos, 562-402-8307

April 25, 2015 - Santa Ana (Orange County), 8am to 11am, Hometown Buffet, 1008 E 17th St, Santa Ana, 714-541-3020

April 30, 2015 (Thursday), 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM, Beale Memorial Library, 701 Truxtun Ave, Bakersfield, CA

Back