Almost pulled over for car pool violation

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amgdad

This morning driving by LAX on the 105, a CHP turn on her lights to pull me over for a carpool violation. She saw me drive by her and then she got on the shoulder passing three cars to get behind me and turn on her lights. Then I think she noticed by license plate holder (Tesla power/ 100% electric). Then as I was pulling over she went by me and gave me the thumbs up and drove away

amgdad said:
This morning driving by LAX on the 105, a CHP turn on her lights to pull me over for a carpool violation. She saw me drive by her and then she got on the shoulder passing three cars to get behind me and turn on her lights. Then I think she noticed by license plate holder (Tesla power/ 100% electric). Then as I was pulling over she went by me and gave me the thumbs up and drove away
Only the white stickers give you the right to use the HOV lane when driving solo. Seeing the license plate frame did nothing for you.

The RAV4EV says "Electric" and "EV" on it in several places, all larger than the print on a license plate holder.

I have an idea most people that see the frame laugh at us wannabe Tesla drivers.
They have no idea Tesla actually provided some of the drivetrain.

smkettner said:
I have an idea most people that see the frame laugh at us wannabe Tesla drivers.
They have no idea Tesla actually provided some of the drivetrain.
I had this exact experience when I vendor took me out for lunch after a meeting at my office. My RAV was parked next to his car and he made a comment, almost under his breath, "Powered by Tesla? Not likely.." I gently informed him that yes, actually, the important electric bits are made by Tesla. We ended up talking about EVs for most of the drive to lunch.

My wife got stopped on 880 heading to San Jose - CHP had her roll down her window, and said "I don't see a second passenger in your vehicle" to which she responded "But I'm electric!" - the officer walked around to the back of the car, looking it over, gave her a thumbs up and waved her on -

My understanding is that qualified vehicles are required to display prominently the stickers in order to be allowed access to HOV lanes. If you don't have the stickers, you can be ticketed, regardless of motive power.

unHookt said:
My understanding is that qualified vehicles are required to display prominently the stickers in order to be allowed access to HOV lanes. If you don't have the stickers, you can be ticketed, regardless of motive power.

Ding ding ding... You have to register your car for the white HOV stickers otherwise, you are still subject to a HOV violation. Does not matter if the car is electric.

So the question is to the OP, do you have white HOV stickers? If NO, you got lucky.

Back