Does the Rav4 EV turn off when left idle for too long?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

I herd that the MS turns off after a certain amount of time left idle with out any new input. Does anyone know if the rav4 ev works the same? Or does it stay on indefinitely until you press the on/off button? At least I know the leaf stays on indefinitely until you press the on/off button. What about the rav4 ev?

Per manual:
Auto power off function
If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY mode for more than an hour with the
shift position in P, the “POWER” switch will automatically turn off.

Great so it shuts down after an hour. Any way to get around that? I'd like to be able to use my rav as a camper vehicle sometimes. Being able to sleep with the windows up and ac on is great. I guess perhaps leaving in in N would work? Just leave on the emergency break? I guess this makes the rav4 ev unsafe to suddenly fall asleep in with the windows up on a hot day while parked? A shame really.

Does the motor spin while parked? What about in Neutral?

-edit-

Wait a minute isn't accessory mode when the rav runs off the lead acid instead of the main pack? Does this mean if its running off the main pack it won't turn off?

I've left it in Ready mode for 3-4 hours before. Didn't drain the battery too much. AC running at full blast (had a birthday cake in there on a hot day!). The AC does not run in accessory mode, only in ready mode.

Thanks for the reply I highly appreciate it :)

I have camped in my leaf over night quite a few times with the windows up all the way and just the fan running. On average I see about 10% battery drain over 9 hours of sleep or so. Granted the leaf I have lost its first bar about a month or so after I bought it used. Since the Rav4 EV has a much larger battery size could it be said that a sleep over night inside would make it lose about ...5% with just the fan running?

cashcow said:
Thanks for the reply I highly appreciate it :)

I have camped in my leaf over night quite a few times with the windows up all the way and just the fan running. On average I see about 10% battery drain over 9 hours of sleep or so. Granted the leaf I have lost its first bar about a month or so after I bought it used. Since the Rav4 EV has a much larger battery size could it be said that a sleep over night inside would make it lose about ...5% with just the fan running?

That's about the energy consumption (5-10%) I experienced when doing this in the RAV4 EV while camping in the ~100 degree (overnight) heat in the Nevada desert. Leave it on Ready mode all night long - works great.

1) READY mode
2) Park
3) Parking brake firmly set
4) headlights to OFF/DRL
5) hold center navigation screen button for 3 seconds for off (tap to return)
6) turn down instrument lights
7) set temperature to desired level
8) lock doors

Back