What is the idle load on the RAV4 EV when in 'Ready On' & P

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the idle load is on the RAV4 EV when it is in the 'ready on' but in 'Parked'. I've been thinking about it and would that load not be less while also Plugged in and charging? I only wonder because when plugged in and charging there are a lot of components that don't turn on like, power steering, traction control sys, and others....

Another question: Is the estimated time to charge @ 240V @ 10kw?!... that or this lv2 plug I am using is sharing the load with the other vehicle that is also plugged in....

The accessory loads are so much smaller than the loads to propel the car that they can be easily ignored. Even ABS and power steering take a negligible amount of power unless you're actively using them - like a panic stop that is actually modulating the hydraulic pressure in the brake lines, or you're grinding your tires into the parking lot turning the steering wheel while standing still. So, sitting in the car in READY, not doing anything is hardly using any energy at all compared to actually driving.

Charging time is easy to calculate, if you know the inputs.

AC Volts * AC Amps * Charge Efficiency = Charging power stored in the battery
208VAC * 30 Amps * 85% = 5.304 kW

Time to charge = Battery Energy to Replace / Charging Power stored
Time = 30kWh / 5.304 kW = 5.65 hours

So, the real problem is knowing what the voltage is at your charging site and knowing how many amps are allowed by the charging station. Of course, people have thought of that and came up with solutions.

Digital charging display mod

cashcow said:
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the idle load is on the RAV4 EV when it is in the 'ready on' but in 'Parked'. I've been thinking about it and would that load not be less while also Plugged in and charging? I only wonder because when plugged in and charging there are a lot of components that don't turn on like, power steering, traction control sys, and others....

Another question: Is the estimated time to charge @ 240V @ 10kw?!... that or this lv2 plug I am using is sharing the load with the other vehicle that is also plugged in....

Tony Williams did some measurements, and if I recall correctly, the main battery pack is drained of about 700 watts when parked.
So you will be losing 0.7kWh per hour of your battery pack capacity.

About your second question:
Afaik, when not connected to anything, the suggested charge time is based on 240/40 & 120/12 afaik.
When it is connected with a J1772 plug, it reads the amps the EVSE is capable to supply (eg 30 amps instead of assumed 40) it will recalculate and adjust time accordingly.

So let's say 0.7kwh per hour and if I were to take the RAV4 EV camping (which I already did) and I slept 8 hours... that would be 0.7×8=5.6kwh? How much extra do you think it would cost to run the fan through the night on the lowest setting? Maybe 1kwh total? 8kwh for the whole night? Seems like an awful lot....

cashcow said:
So let's say 0.7kwh per hour and if I were to take the RAV4 EV camping (which I already did) and I slept 8 hours... that would be 0.7×8=5.6kwh?
correct!
How much extra do you think it would cost to run the fan through the night on the lowest setting? Maybe 1kwh total? 8kwh for the whole night? Seems like an awful lot....

A fan shouldn't be mroe than 50 watt, so 8x0.05= 0.4 kWh extra.

I am surprised by how efficient the AC seems to be.
I think it only draws about 400-500 watt. In the old ICE days it would take 10% of your engine power ;-)

Back