Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:04 am 

Another check ev system warning. 12v is at 12.4 to 12.5 after multiple attempts to start. 12v disconnect didnt work. Multiple starts didnt work. 12v jump didnt work either. Worth buying a new battery or should it just be towed?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:05 am 

12.4 should start the car. Disconnect overnight and put on a charger. Try in the AM or have it towed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 am 

You need a new battery, regardless. Go get one, or better yet, have Fedex deliver one straight to your door.

Rav4 EV 12 volt Battery recommendations:

https://m.pepboys.com/search/?term=bosch+24f+60ah+agm

I recommend the Bosch or Exide battery with the following specs for around $150-$180:

1) AGM (not flooded acid cells like the original)

2) Group 24F size

3) 60 amp/hour rating

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:34 pm 

Okay. Bought new battery got the recommended Bosch Platinum tested 12.6 off the shelf. When I tested old battery on car sitting for a couple days 11.9. Tried a couple restarts back to 12.4. Put new battery same check EV system and unable to get into D or R.

My driveway is gravel and a slight decline so before the flatbed showed up I tried pushing the RAV into a better loading position. Moved it 8 or 9 inches, that thing is a massive paperweight trying to move it up hill and the steering while dead is tough.

Towed it to Folsom Lake Toyota and they gave me a hard time saying I shouldn't have replaced the battery and said that it could cause a bunch of problems.

Last edited by co2112 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:20 pm 

co2112 wrote:
Okay. Bought new battery got the recommended Bosch Platinum tested 12.6 off the shelf. When I tested old battery on car sitting for a couple days 11.9. Tried a couple restarts back to 12.4. Put new battery same check EV system and unable to get into D or R.

I also tried reseating the HV plug under the passenger seat to see if it would reset and go to drive or reverse, nothing. My driveway is gravel and a slight decline so before the flatbed showed up I tried pushing the RAV into a better loading position. Moved it 8 or 9 inches, that thing is a massive paperweight trying to move it up hill and the steering while dead is tough.

Towed it to Folsom Lake Toyota and they gave me a hard time saying I shouldn't have replaced the battery and said that it could cause a bunch of problems. I let them know I replaced it because of the low voltage readings and after the check ev system came on twice the second time disabling the car. I should know more today but I got a lecture on why the factory proprietary size battery is superior. When I asked the tech about crank amps and the ability to jump other cars with the factory battery he didn't know what to say. I said I own more than one car and if I need to jump those other vehicles I need a battery that can do that. Also the size 24 battery is the proper size for the tray. He also said it wouldn't shut off when he tried it. I said it was because he had his foot on the brake.
In your situation, I would have bought and tried the new battery. Then, when it didn't work, I would have put back the original battery after charging it outside the car. The dealer's reaction to the aftermarket battery is totally expected while the car is showing a Check EV System error. My advice, since your car is already there with the AGM battery, let them put in a new battery and finish their troubleshooting. After the repair is complete, have them put your AGM battery back in and if the car is still OK, you don't have to keep or pay for their battery. Get them to agree to that in advance, preferably in writing.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:56 pm 

So a couple hours the car was completely gone through with the Tesla rep step by step they said battery health is good and thought it was a rodent problem, loose plug near the HV cable. Toyota couldn't confirm sloshing sound but it may be excess water from my early morning run in with a fallen branch in the road back in early January. I continued driving and found the front cover hanging down and missing clips that held it in place.

............OK wrote too soon. Car left me stranded at lunch time. 8 miles from dealer but after 80+ miles since picking it up. To be continued. Error code listed is P312F. Anyone know what this is for?

Additional Codes BMS_F007, BMS_F071, and DI_W124

Toyota cleared codes i drove home Friday night plugged in. Didnt touch car until this morning. Wont start again. Back to folsom lake toyota a third time in 6 days. Hopefully they can go through codes and figure it out.

Last edited by co2112 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:20 pm 

New battery ordered. Bad cell pack, full battery replacement. No other issues were found. All accessories were working. One error for cruise control module on last day bringing in but the car never went into drive or reverse. Tow driver probably hit the stick when getting it on or off the truck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:28 am 

My 2014 started having all kinds of crazy transient electrical symptoms, including Check EV, and other warning lights. So I popped a new Bosch 12v AGM battery in it like Tony said, and it's been right as rain ever since! Thanks, Tony!

P.S. I checked the voltage on my old battery just before the swap, and it was only 10v! R.I.P. Old Sparky...

• 2001 Cinnamon Cadillac DTS - With Night Vision!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:43 pm 

tridub wrote:
My 2014 started having all kinds of crazy transient electrical symptoms, including Check EV, and other warning lights. So I popped a new Bosch 12v AGM battery in it like Tony said, and it's been right as rain ever since! Thanks, Tony!

P.S. I checked the voltage on my old battery just before the swap, and it was only 10v! R.I.P. Old Sparky...

You won't gobble up that 60ah Bosch battery so fast!!!

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:41 am 

The wife was driving the RAV home from work today. On the freeway, she says she heard a clunk, and the car lost all power (Turtle came on), like she started braking. She got it over to the side and came to a stop. She turned it off and on again, and it went Ready and started. She got the Check EV message, but was able to continue on her way, making it home. We had somewhere to go right after that, so we tried to start it again, but it would not go Ready this time, flashing Ready but never locking in. The Check EV message remained. I reset the 12v, and it still won't start. I am going to have it towed to the dealer, as this sounds like something else. I'm at about 78,000 miles, with the Platinum extended warranty. My main concern is how the vehicle diagnosis will be treated since I have JdeMO installed. My dealer is Tustin Toyota, though I live much closer to Santa Margarita Toyota. Anyone with experience on this?

Clipper Creek LCS-25
JESLAtm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 81  Next