Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Hmmmmm... not good. Gateway?

I hope not... if the gateway is damaged, wouldn't that mean the car will stop working? My Rav4EV still drives like there isn't anything wrong with it... just that darn error message won't get away.

khaliss said:
TonyWilliams said:
Hmmmmm... not good. Gateway?

I hope not... if the gateway is damaged, wouldn't that mean the car will stop working? My Rav4EV still drives like there isn't anything wrong with it... just that darn error message won't get away.

No, the car doesn't have to quit. But, I would get it fixed before it does quit.

At the very least, your dealer should be able to hook up their Toyota/Tesla scan tool and see what trouble codes are in the ECU. Typically, when you get the Check EV System . . . message on the I/P, there should be a DTC to go with it.

I managed to get the Rav4EV back to SanLuisObispo-Toyota. Had to use the SOS button (Toyota Roadside Assistance) to flatbed the car to the dealership since I was getting close to empty before I could reach the charging station at Paso Robles. They pulled the error code and found out that the coolant pump for the battery system went bad. Took them 2 days to ship & get the replacement pump in. I picked it up Tuesday, and everything works great again =)

Now I'm seeing this warning message too. 10k miles, it's happened twice so far in the last two weeks. Car drives fine, message goes away after a few on/off cycles. It was time to rotate the tires anyway, so I sent the car to the dealer for a checkup. They found nothing, said car's health was good. Check EV System warning pops up again a few days later. Finally got the scantool to work, found a trouble code stored "U1146 Lost Communication with Electric Propulsion Control System Gateway." Techstream shows a lot of seemingly useless information about when the trouble codes were stored - state of charge, shift indicator, odometer, speedometer, lots more gibberish not particularly helpful to me. Also some popup about "Do not diagnose. Intermittent. Run monitor again."

What's the current firmware, is that even related? Right now I'm just annoyed, but don't want this to become a real problem. Is this related to any of the recalls on this car? I'll put some pictures below.

Ue3i7dR.jpg

gJoIMdF.jpg

hanta said:
Right now I'm just annoyed, but don't want this to become a real problem.

Wait until you are driving , that message pops up and you loose all traction.
Scary...

My 2014 with 50,500 miles has been at dealer with this warning message since Saturday afternoon. Unlike others who've had the message pop up and they can continue driving, mine appeared when I attempted to start the vehicle and I was not able to start it. We were barely able to get it into Neutral to load it on the flatbed. It was towed to Cabe Toyota in Long Beach, CA. They determined the 12 Volt battery was dead but vehicle generated other error codes that after Toyota Techs reviewed, it was decided a new main battery was needed along with the 12 Volt battery. Driving a 2016 Camry while I await the battery's arrival and installation.

Since my JDEMO was removed, I had 3 more occasions of the check ev message
usually it goes away after a few power cycles.
This time it stays on.
Went back to the closest dealer: DCH Toyota of Oxnard
They wanted me to pay $120 to read the diagnose for the error
"your modifications may have caused damage than Toyota won't cover"
In case it is factory warranty, we will reimburse you the $120.

less than 2 years old and 29k miles.

I will never ever buy a toyota again (for me or my employees)
I will return both rav4ev's we currently lease at the end of the lease
Who wants to deal with an organisation that claims that mounting a trailer hitch (to move my bike around) is an illegal modification that voids warranty on an electric vehicle.

Todd said:
My 2014 with 50,500 miles has been at dealer with this warning message since Saturday afternoon. Unlike others who've had the message pop up and they can continue driving, mine appeared when I attempted to start the vehicle and I was not able to start it. We were barely able to get it into Neutral to load it on the flatbed. It was towed to Cabe Toyota in Long Beach, CA. They determined the 12 Volt battery was dead but vehicle generated other error codes that after Toyota Techs reviewed, it was decided a new main battery was needed along with the 12 Volt battery. Driving a 2016 Camry while I await the battery's arrival and installation.

They replaced my main battery at about 2 weeks ago with 96K miles on the car. I hope this isn't shades of what's to come for Rav4 owners. Tesla told my Toyota dealer that they hadn't seen this occur before mine.

Carson Toyota plugged my rav4ev into their diagnose box and found:

THC_d0005 Battery Coolant Pump 1 Errror Detected

They gave me a loaner and send me away (after waiting 4 hours for the diagnose plug to be inserted)

They told me they would retrieve 6 months worth of errors, and the ABS one would pop-up and they would contact me.

battery_coolant_pump1_error.jpg

fromport said:
Carson Toyota plugged my rav4ev into their diagnose box and found:

THC_d0005 Battery Coolant Pump 1 Error Detected

They gave me a loaner and send me away (after waiting 4 hours for the diagnose plug to be inserted)

They told me they would retrieve 6 months worth of errors, and the ABS one would pop-up and they would contact me.

battery_coolant_pump1_error.jpg

Got my repaired car back today:
battery_cooling_repair.png

So it seems they replaced a thermal ECU
I will just drive it and see it this solved also the rebooting/shutdown that I experienced before.

Just had my first Check EV system error message, which disappeared after I drove about 20 miles.

I hope it's the 12 volt battery just being bad /weak...Got a replacement at Costco, we'll see how it goes.

thanks.

My car is coming back soon entune shows the car has 116 miles full without extended charge I normally get 95 at the most before

cossie1600 said:
My car is coming back soon entune shows the car has 116 miles full without extended charge I normally get 95 at the most before

They must have disconnected / reconnected your 12V battery. At the default value of 3.5 mi / kWh, the 116 mi of ran6e corresponds to about 33 kWh of energy, or about 80% of the full battery capacity. That is what it should be for a standard charge.

The 116 was after a test drive

Anyway the battery was replaced they said the list price for the battery is $40k

It's my turn, getting "Check EV System" warning message. The vehicle was purchased November 11, 2012 and is now 56176 miles. From viewing this forum, the problem may be one of these: Thermal ECU, 12V battery, Battery Coolant Pump, Battery pack.

Question: Would it still be under warranty?

waidy said:
It's my turn, getting "Check EV System" warning message. The vehicle was purchased November 11, 2012 and is now 56176 miles. From viewing this forum, the problem may be one of these: Thermal ECU, 12V battery, Battery Coolant Pump, Battery pack.

Question: Would it still be under warranty?
It depends on what problem they find. If it is just the 12V battery, you will probably be charged for the new battery and a diagnostic fee of $160. At least that's what recently happened to a fellow Los Altos owner with a newer car than yours. If your problem ends up being a coolant pump, the Thermal ECU, or Gateway ECU, those are all covered by the Powertrain Warranty for 5 years & 60,000 miles.

Back