Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 9
This just started happening: I plug the charging cable in, the lights blink like it's about to start charging, then after about 5s the lights (and charging) turn off with an error in the dashboard that says "charging turned off because of system error".

Before bringing it in to the dealership, I was wondering if there is something I can try to fix this. This error occurs regardless of whether I plug in the original 120V cable or the aftermarket 240V cable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:43 am
Posts: 287
Location: Redwood City, CA
10basetom wrote:
This just started happening: I plug the charging cable in, the lights blink like it's about to start charging, then after about 5s the lights (and charging) turn off with an error in the dashboard that says "charging turned off because of system error".

Before bringing it in to the dealership, I was wondering if there is something I can try to fix this. This error occurs regardless of whether I plug in the original 120V cable or the aftermarket 240V cable.


Unfortunately this is the classic symptom of a failed on-board charger. Toyota wants a pretty penny for a replacement, but that isn't an issue if you have valid extended warranty. Tony Williams / Quick Charge Power may be able to provide a lower cost repair or replacement if your warranty has expired. In any case, it would be good to confirm that this is the issue by having a dealer (or perhaps QCP) read the error code on the car's bus.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out!

_________________
2013 Blizzard Pearl VIN 1633
2013 Chevy Volt (my wife's)
Haibike Urban Xduro ebike
3.2 kW Solar PV system


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 9
tgreene wrote:
Unfortunately this is the classic symptom of a failed on-board charger. Toyota wants a pretty penny for a replacement, but that isn't an issue if you have valid extended warranty. Tony Williams / Quick Charge Power may be able to provide a lower cost repair or replacement if your warranty has expired. In any case, it would be good to confirm that this is the issue by having a dealer (or perhaps QCP) read the error code on the car's bus.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out!


Thanks, I just dropped it off at Tustin Toyota...already dropped $160 to diagnose it. The charging assembly is $3500, so let's hope it's not that. I should know in about a day or so. This is my first time paying for servicing after 72k miles, but I suspect it won't be the last.

I'll update here when I know more.

P.S. Tony is an option, but I'd need to get car towed from OC to SD since it's only got 49 miles of range.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Ukraine
10basetom wrote:
... I just dropped it off at Tustin Toyota...already dropped $160 to diagnose it. The charging assembly is $3500, so let's hope it's not that...
Documented/factual diagnostic results, for example, Tesla electric propulsion control systems fault codes (aka alert codes*) and the results of additional Checks?

Judging by the price, I assume that only Toyota systems were diagnosed...

* For example, code CHG_f028
Image
http://alflash.com.ua/2019/to_rav4ev/_f028.png

or code CHG_f078
https://youtu.be/-TQCu5Tqm6c?t=9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 9
UPDATE: Luckily Tustin Toyota still had an EV specialist on hand to do a proper diagnosis. Good news: the fault likely isn't with the onboard charging assembly ($3500 excluding labor). The not-so-good news: there is an intermittent electrical problem with the charging port, which needs to be replaced, and the total cost including labor is $850.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:55 pm
Posts: 16
Ours is a 2012 we live in Huntington Beach and the RAV has 68K miles. We still get good range on a charge like 100 to 120. The car died on my wife fortunately I was able to figure out it was the speed sensor on the motor and bought one from Tony it fixed the problem. I'm hoping other things don't start going wrong :(

If your nearby I'd be happy to help out with any other problems you run into or maybe you can help us out if ours goes south. Or we go to Tony!

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 9
hbrav wrote:
Ours is a 2012 we live in Huntington Beach and the RAV has 68K miles. We still get good range on a charge like 100 to 120. The car died on my wife fortunately I was able to figure out it was the speed sensor on the motor and bought one from Tony it fixed the problem. I'm hoping other things don't start going wrong :(

If your nearby I'd be happy to help out with any other problems you run into or maybe you can help us out if ours goes south. Or we go to Tony!

Steve


Awesome, thanks in advance, Steve! We're in Mission Viejo, so not too far. Rav4 EVs are rare and getting rarer, so we're blessed to have this forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:57 pm
Posts: 46
Location: Salisbury, NC
10basetom wrote:
UPDATE: Luckily Tustin Toyota still had an EV specialist on hand to do a proper diagnosis. Good news: the fault likely isn't with the onboard charging assembly ($3500 excluding labor). The not-so-good news: there is an intermittent electrical problem with the charging port, which needs to be replaced, and the total cost including labor is $850.


Just wondering: did the EV tech note any fault codes or specific behavior on the Tesla side? I'm curious how he determined it was the charge port and not the charger, might help others with similar symptoms..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Posts: 9
hokiematt wrote:
Just wondering: did the EV tech note any fault codes or specific behavior on the Tesla side? I'm curious how he determined it was the charge port and not the charger, might help others with similar symptoms..


The EV specialist wasn't working that day, so everything I was told was conveyed to me by the service manager who read it off his notes. He didn't mention any specific codes (hopefully I'll know more once I get the paperwork/receipt), but he did say the EV specialist was 99% sure it was the charging port because in the rare cases when all the pins did make a proper connection, the battery was charging properly. It seems the pins inside the charging port started to malfunction through seven years of wear and tear. Another thought that entered my mind, though highly unlikely, is that the aftermarket 240V charger connector I bought was responsible for this since it's kind of a tight fit compared to the stock 120V connector.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot charge
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:55 pm
Posts: 223
Location: Duvall, Wash.
Other than the issue with certain early Blink EVSE J1772 nozzles frying sockets, I don't recall anybody having an issue with the RAV4 EV's inlet connector . . . but lots & lots of us have had failed onboard chargers. That's why yours is an important data point, if replacing yours eliminates that error message in the long term.

_________________
Regards,
Al Savage
2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEVSE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
1999 E300 on B100 (sold Sep2018)
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Toyota Rav4 EV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group