$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miimura said:
n3ckf said:
n3ckf said:
Okay so i'm new here, and i just bought a blue Rav4 EV *today* in Fremont, CA. Got 9300 off (8800 rebate + 500 from sales person) plus the zero percent financing. (I wasnt going to finance, but at 0%, what could go wrong?)

Anyway, happy to join the crowd, my EV is happily chargning (at 110V alas) downstairs in the garage right now.

Okay just to confirm, since i was asked this is a 2013 car:

2013 RAV4 EV
SHORELINE BLUE PEARL
VIN:2T3YL4D.....

(I acutally didnt ask whether it was a 2013 or a 2012, but the "D" in the VIN i think proves it. Thats from my Entune account which i just set up and Toyota helpfully prepopulated for me). I also got set up on Chargepoint today (its what we use at Google to manage our charging stations). Wow is 240V charging fast :)
Actually, I think it's the letter before the W and trailing numerics that indicates the year. My 2012 has the same VIN portion you showed above.

Yep, my vehicle, bought in October 2012, has those same first 7 characters. My "C" (for 2012) comes a few characters later, right before the W.

Hello I am looking for a RAV 4 EV 2013 in southern California. Can you please let me know which dealers have a good deal running. Many of them are giving $10K off for a 2012 but not a 2013.

Thanks
Steve

Hello,
I am looking for a RAV 4 EV with the $10K discount. At this point it is very hard to find a 2012 and dealers are not discounting on 2013. Can someone provide me with a good contact that can help get me my 10K off discount (this does not include the federal or the state incentives). I do not care if it is a 2012 or a 2013.

Thanks

Steve

Where are you located?

I've heard Hanlees (or was it Hilltop) Toyota was discounting some 2013s recently -$11000.

Piercey in Milpitas will 'easily' do $9000 and I believe can be pushed to $10000, unless you want blue which is rare and hard to negotiate.
Your vehicle may come home with a load of hitchhiking moths though...as mine did.

Hello Everyone,

I have scoured through the forum whether to lease or purchase the RAV4 EV. I understand that there is the $7500.00 federal credit that we do not get through lease but why own a new technology that the battery is VERY expensive to replace (tens of thousand of dollars)?
Am I missing something?

sliu805 said:
Hello Everyone,

I have scoured through the forum whether to lease or purchase the RAV4 EV. I understand that there is the $7500.00 federal credit that we do not get through lease but why own a new technology that the battery is VERY expensive to replace (tens of thousand of dollars)?
Am I missing something?

Why don't you tell us where you are?

If the battery fails (and isn't covered by warranty), you won't be replacing it from Toyota. It will cost more than the value of the car. There likely will be battery shops to rebuild them, just like there were for the first generation Rav4 EV.

I'm moving this to a thread about buying the car.

Hi Tony,

I live in Thousand Oaks CA (Ventura county). So if the battery is so expensive then why purchase it than lease it. You can enjoy for 36 month and return it (and not to worry about the batteries?)

I thought I posted it at the buying category.

Steve

TonyWilliams said:
sliu805 said:
Hello Everyone,

Am I missing something?

Why don't you tell us where you are?

If the battery fails (and isn't covered by warranty), you won't be replacing it from Toyota. It will cost more than the value of the car. There likely will be battery shops to rebuild them, just like there were for the first generation Rav4 EV.

I'm moving this to a thread about buying the car.

sliu805 said:
Hi Tony,

I live in Thousand Oaks CA (Ventura county). So if the battery is so expensive then why purchase it than lease it. You can enjoy for 36 month and return it (and not to worry about the batteries?)

I thought I posted it at the buying category.

Steve

Yes, you posted in the correct category, but there are numerous existing threads with the same question. It will stay in the buying category.

I don't EVER expect to buy a new battery for this, or ANY electric car that I own. So, the cost of the battery isn't even a factor in a buying versus leasing situation.

If the battery had a known issue, like the Nissan LEAF in hot places like Phoenix, then I ABSOLUTELY recommend leasing it and getting a new car every two or three years.

Please read the first post in this thread for all the gory details about purchasing in California.

This is from the owner's manual on battery care:

Capacity reduction of the traction battery
The capacity of the traction battery will decline gradually with normal use
over the life of the vehicle. The rate at which it declines is dependant on a
number of factors, including environmental conditions and the way the vehi-
cle is used. By observing the following precautions, battery capacity decline
can be suppressed.

Avoid parking the vehicle for prolonged
periods in areas with a high tem-
perature under direct sunlight when the traction battery is fully charged.
When storing the vehicle for prolonged periods, it is recommended to
park the vehicle in a shaded area or a cool garage. This helps minimize
traction battery capacity decline.

When not driving long distances, it is recommended to charge using nor-
mal charge mode to help minimize traction battery capacity decline.
(

P. 58, 72)

Regular use of the scheduled charging function helps mitigate battery
capacity decline by avoiding storage at high SOC

This recently appeared on the Toyota website:
Get $0 Drive-off and only $539 per month PLUS $10,000 Lease Cash on a new 2012 RAV4 EV
$539/mo for 36 months, $0 Drive-off
*Includes $10,000 Lease Cash
Includes Toyota Care
Offer Ends 6/3/2013

Lease example for 2012 RAV4 EV model 4480. Based on gross capitalized cost of $51,249. Security deposit waived. Plus tax and license. Individual dealer prices vary. Lessee pays $0.15 per mile for all mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee to pay $539 per month for 36 months with $0 total drive off. Available through Toyota Financial Services to qualified Tier 1+ (plus) credit customers. Lease Cash offer valid through TFS lease or finance only. Must take delivery from dealer stock by midnight 6/3/2013. See your Toyota Dealer for details. *Lease Payment Includes $10,000 TFS Lease Cash

The first line says "PLUS $10,000 Lease Cash" but below it says "*Includes $10,000 Lease Cash"...hmmm...big difference...all the difference -- if it is 'PLUS' $10k, then leasing a RAV4 would be a no-brainer deal. If it is 'Includes', then $19,400 to rent a RAV4 EV for 3 years seems like a so-so deal (plus I'd pay another $1500 in overmileage fees). Hard to say what the residual value will be in 3 or in 5 years though.

mudpie said:
This recently appeared on the Toyota website:
Get $0 Drive-off and only $539 per month PLUS $10,000 Lease Cash on a new 2012 RAV4 EV
$539/mo for 36 months, $0 Drive-off
*Includes $10,000 Lease Cash
Includes Toyota Care
Offer Ends 6/3/2013

Lease example for 2012 RAV4 EV model 4480. Based on gross capitalized cost of $51,249. Security deposit waived. Plus tax and license. Individual dealer prices vary. Lessee pays $0.15 per mile for all mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee to pay $539 per month for 36 months with $0 total drive off. Available through Toyota Financial Services to qualified Tier 1+ (plus) credit customers. Lease Cash offer valid through TFS lease or finance only. Must take delivery from dealer stock by midnight 6/3/2013. See your Toyota Dealer for details. *Lease Payment Includes $10,000 TFS Lease Cash

The first line says "PLUS $10,000 Lease Cash" but below it says "*Includes $10,000 Lease Cash"...hmmm...big difference...all the difference -- if it is 'PLUS' $10k, then leasing a RAV4 would be a no-brainer deal. If it is 'Includes', then $19,400 to rent a RAV4 EV for 3 years seems like a so-so deal (plus I'd pay another $1500 in overmileage fees). Hard to say what the residual value will be in 3 or in 5 years though.
This has been advertised for a while now... since March if I remember. I looked into this with the dealer before I purchased and the lease price includes the 10k as cap reduction... not PLUS 10K as the the ad states. Not sure why they list this way but they do and have for some time now.

AvLegends said:
This has been advertised for a while now... since March if I remember. I looked into this with the dealer before I purchased and the lease price includes the 10k as cap reduction... not PLUS 10K as the the ad states. Not sure why they list this way but they do and have for some time now.

Ahh, I see what 'happened'...this is listed only for southern california. If I switch 'my location' to northern CA, it doesn't list any offers for the RAV4 EV.

mudpie said:
AvLegends said:

Ahh, I see what 'happened'...this is listed only for southern california. If I switch 'my location' to northern CA, it doesn't list any offers for the RAV4 EV.
My guess is they don't want them back at the end of the lease. Toyota does not pass on the $7500 fed tax credit like Nissan and other car makers do. This is a big reason why most buy instead of lease.

As it has been discussed many times... this car is a CA compliance car and nothing more. 2600 over 3 years and it's done.

I read sometime a while ago... don't remember where I saw it but it was about someone seeing a back parking lot full of the '97-'03 1st generation Rav4EV's down at Toyota headquarters (Irvine?). Possibly lease returns. I mentioned that while on the phone with a customer service rep and she said yes... lot's of them parked out back. What a shame!

Hello Forum,

I'm new to this forum and the Rav4 EV. I live in Northern California. I did some research on them a couple years ago, and was considering one, but then the price point pushed the car WELL out of my budget. However I'm having a little trouble navigating through all the incentives and rebates, versus a CPO one that I found that the dealership purchased and is now selling. So any help of feedback would much appreciated! Below is a breakdown of the two offer:

CPO 2012 Silver Rav4 EV 2,750 miles New 2012 Rav4

Selling price $33, 190 Selling Price $50,870

Interest: 1.99% Dealer "Instant Savings" - $11,351

No rebates Toyota Loyalty - $500

Negotiating Discount - $100
Toyota CPO Warranty Federal& State Rebates -$10,000
Interest 0.99%

I'm not sure how the taxes work with the rebates, which is why I was thinking that at a slightly higher price the CPO might actually be a better deal . . .
Any advice out there?

Thanks,
Katie

Hoping to be a Rav4 EV Owner

It looks like this is a used Rav4 EV since it has 2,750 miles on it. I would get a new 2012, not this used one as you can't get the Federal and state rebate on a used one. You should be able to get a brand new 2012 for less. 51,000-$9300 Toyota factory incentive-1,000 typical dealer discount-$7500 federal tax credit-$2500 CARB rebate= $30,700 plus tax and license and oh yeah, 0% for 60 months

Hanlees Davis Toyota has 2 silver 2012 Rav4 EVs according to their website

Quite simply, subtract $20k off the MSRP of the new 2012 ($10k toyota money, $10k government money). Now it should be obvious that the used one is a complete rip off. Also, the toyota promo on new 2012s is 0% APR for 60 months, don't know where you're getting 0.99%. Oh, and "negotiating discount -$100"???? That means you're not negotiating. Most dealers offer $2-3k off MSRP in addition to the aforementioned $20k off, so you should definitely be under $30k for a new 2012.

The only possible exception is if you don't have enough tax liability to qualify for the full $7500 credit. If that were the case then you might justify them ripping you off a little bit on a used one. Talk to an accountant if you're at all concerned about that.

Ok actually it's $9300 toyota money and not $10k in Norcal, but close enough.

katiemarika said:
I'm not sure how the taxes work with the rebates, which is why I was thinking that at a slightly higher price the CPO might actually be a better deal . . .
Any advice out there?

Katie,

The numbers don't all add up on this offer. Please read through the first post about discounts on this thread.

Purchase deals for NEW (not used) should look like this:

2012 Rav4 EV

$50,870 Retail MSRP (inc floor mats and destination, add $200 for white)

($2,000-$4,000) Dealer Discount

($9,300 - $10,000) Toyota Cash with 0.0% interest for 60 months

$5,000 sales tax and license plates in California

$80 doc fee

$36,870 - $39,570 net cost plus tax and license. This is what you will pay in the dealership.

Then:

($7,500) Fed Tax Credit (you will get this with your taxes with form 8936)
($2,500) CA State Rebate (you will get this when you mail in a form)

$26,870 - $29,570 Total Net Cost

Back