$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,

Very good info.. However, you need to add the sales tax and doc fees not deduct from the total cost.

Steve

TonyWilliams said:
katiemarika said:
I'm not sure how the taxes work with the rebates, which is why I was thinking that at a slightly higher price the CPO might actually be a better deal . . .
Any advice out there?

Katie,

The numbers don't all add up on this offer. Please read through the first post about discounts on this thread.

Purchase deals for NEW (not used) should look like this:

2012 Rav4 EV

$50,870 Retail MSRP (inc floor mats and destination, add $200 for white)

($2,000-$4,000) Dealer Discount

($9,300 - $10,000) Toyota Cash with 0.0% interest for 60 months

$5,000 sales tax and license plates in California

$80 doc fee

$36,870 - $39,570 net cost plus tax and license. This is what you will pay in the dealership.

Then:

($7,500) Fed Tax Credit (you will get this with your taxes with form 8936)
($2,500) CA State Rebate (you will get this when you mail in a form)

$26,870 - $29,570 Total Net Cost

How exactly do you proposing adding taxes and license fees? In Washington state, there is no tax on new EVs. In every county and city in California is a different sales tax. Some states have no sales tax. Some have special rates for EV license plates.

Edit, ok, a math error!!! Thanks.

In California, you have to pay sales tax on the purchase price of the car before the rebates ..
So, you would calculate off the MSRP(discounted MSRP), and then add tax.

Here is how my deal worked out buying in San Diego on a silver one with $50,870 MSRP
1) Purchase price: $48,500
2) Tax @ 8% on $48,500 = $3880
3) DMV Fees = $388
4) Doc Fees = $100

Total = $52,868
Minus $10,000 Toyota discount = $42,868 (adjusted purchase price)

Sent away for $2500 state rebate, which is at $0 right now ... So, will be waiting for a while for the check.
Will submitt for $7500 fedearl rebate

Final adjusted price = $32,868

I'm guessing they'll remain the same for the '13 or increase on the '12, if there are still any left. If sales look bad and '12 inventory is gone, then perhaps they'll bump up the '13 incentives.

Hi all -

I'm new to these boards, but have been pretty active at MNL and somewhat at GM-Volt. I'm a Phoenix LEAF and Volt owner. I participated in Tony's Phoenix LEAF range test in September 2012. I ditched my 2011 LEAF after it lost a capacity bar after 10 months and 10,200 miles and then did a 24-month lease on a 2012 LEAF, which still has 12 capacity bars after 10,500 miles and 11 months. It's getting hot here in a Phoenix and I expect that bar to be gone any day now.

Now that that quick intro is over, I was interested in trying to trade in the 2012 LEAF and purchase the RAV4 EV. Another Phoenix ex-LEAF owner recently purchased the RAV and is very happy with it. I sent out an e-mail to Diana at Carson Toyota and she said she was out of 2012 and the 2013's had no specials at this time.

Hopefully they decide to continue the promotion or offer a similar one on the 2013's. For now, I guess, it's wait and see.

If anyone can recommend any other dealer or hears of any deals, please PM me.

Thanks.

Welcome. Just so you know, the Rav4 EV has TMS, but it is not active when the car is off, sitting in the 100+ degree heat.

So, the same rules apply... try and keep the battery cool. Obviously, during charging and when the car is in READY, the TMS is cooling the battery pack.

Anyhoo, I expect that we'll know tomorrow what the numbers are.

TonyWilliams said:
Welcome. Just so you know, the Rav4 EV has TMS, but it is not active when the car is off, sitting in the 100+ degree heat.

Hmm...thanks, Tony. I actually didn't realize the TMS did not run at all when the car was off. There was this really interesting article about the Volt's TMS over at GM-Volt:

http://gm-volt.com/2013/05/03/volt-battery-thermal-management-system-in-the-hot-arizona-sun/

I'll just quote this section from that article:

What happens if the Volt is parked in the hot sun with ignition (power) off and NOT plugged in? This would be the scenario for many Arizona workers that park their cars in full sun on a black asphalt parking lot all day. How hot will the Volt’s battery get?
In order to determine, Volt was parked for a day in full sun. Results of this test are presented in figure 5. We see that the Volt’s battery is extremely well insulated. With cabin temperatures soaring to 115 F and ambient air temperatures going to 99 F the Volts battery only reached a maximum temperature of 90 F. Roughly equal to the upper limit during active thermal management during charging shown in figure 2 . We also note that there is NO ACTION taken by the TMS in this case

I imagine the RAV would work in a similar fashion - i.e., although the TMS does not run when parked, it was presumably cooled to a healthy temp during overnight charging and the insulation helps keep it a little more resistant to temperature changes?

This actually leads me to a few more questions. Does the RAV have an app with which I can remote start? I'm used to LEAF and Volt EV ranges. I imagine with the greater range and battery size of the RAV, I'd have ample charge to remote start during the day and let the car and TMS run to cool the battery during a typical 113 degree July day.

Toyota has a comparable mobile app called "Entune". There is even an "simulator" of this app for Apple devices, so you can see how it works before you buy (or lease) a new RAV4 EV.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Oh and BTW - lost that first capacity bar on the 2012 LEAF this morning - 11 months after purchase and at 10,800 miles.

They just came out. $7500 off and 0% financing on the 2013s

I missed the 2012 deal, but this is not too bad.

liuping said:
They just came out. $7500 off and 0% financing on the 2013s

I missed the 2012 deal, but this is not too bad.

Thanks. I just saw Dianne's thread. I'm going to give her a call this week.

Does anyone know i the various dealer holdbacks and other dealer incentives are the same for the 2013 model?

Here in San Diego, both dealers that gave me price quote gave the same exact discount ($2151) which seem a little less than I was expecting, and was wonder how much was more wiggle room available.

Still no update from Toyota on their website... maybe they forgot about the Rav4? Dianne obviously knows the incentives!!

New incentive thru July 8th:
$7500 cash rebate and pay cash or use your own financing, OR take the $7500 with a low rate lease or purchase at 0% apr. Your choice!

This sounds more like a traditional factory rebate as opposed to the "Subvention Cash" deal they were doing before, which required you to do the financing (purchase or lease) with TFS. You still have to pay sales tax on the whole dealer selling price though.

miimura said:
This sounds more like a traditional factory rebate as opposed to the "Subvention Cash" deal they were doing before, which required you to do the financing (purchase or lease) with TFS. You still have to pay sales tax on the whole dealer selling price though.
Re: the bolded part, that should be the case in CA regardless of where the rebate/incentive comes from. :( See http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html under "Taxing rebates:" and "Are Incentives Taxed?"

Hi all -

Just a question about Dianne's post:

Dianne said:
MSRP (with mats set) for the blizzard white pearl is $51,265.
MSRP (with mats set) for the silver or the blue is $50,870.

MY *EV* pricing is $40,944 after 7500 TOYOTA REBATE for silver or blue. Add $365 for the pearl white choice.

If I take the $50,870 - the advertised price of $40,944 = $9926 discount

$9926 - $7500 (Toyota Cash) = $2426.

Is that $2426 the dealer discount? In your opinions, is this a good price? I read in some earlier posts it was up to $4000 at some dealerships, but I imagine that's rare.

Does anyone have an idea of what the doc fees at Carson Toyota are and what money factor is on a lease?

In AZ, incentives are not taxed but we don't get the extra $2500 CA rebate. There is no extra EV rebate in AZ. However, registration is crazy low. On my LEAF it was something like $25. My Volt was over $600.

shrink said:
$9926 - $7500 (Toyota Cash) = $2426.

Is that $2426 the dealer discount? In your opinions, is this a good price? I read in some earlier posts it was up to $4000 at some dealerships, but I imagine that's rare.

Seems reasonable to me. Many of those larger dealer discount where "up north" were the Toyota cash was $500 less. Heck, give her a call and let us know!!

Back