$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have no legal stand, playing hard doesn't get you anything. Best you can do is probably pay the difference to up the mileage. You can trash them in the survey too, but seems like bad karma to me

latimerluis said:
Thanks, all. I called the dealer to ask to switch it to the unlimited miles option and the sales rep blatantly lied to us stating that they offered it, but We would have remembered.

In any case, I'm on vacation and don't have the lease agreement in front of me., so I can't check if I had 7 days to return the vehicle. I will call them again tomorrow and graciously ask them if I can return the vehicle, and see what kind of reaction I would get.

I'm not sure if playing nice or being firm is better in this situation....

I appreciate your inputs on the matter.
Call and ask to talk to the sales manager... better yet go to the GM and see what he can do. Be respectful to them... I think you will get further with honey than vinegar in this case. They can always throw the "no cooling off period in CA" at you if you get in their face.

cossie1600 said:
You have no legal stand, playing hard doesn't get you anything. Best you can do is probably pay the difference to up the mileage. You can trash them in the survey too, but seems like bad karma to me
Yup... I agree!

So, what are the chances that this lease deal gets continued past the 9/3/13 current cutoff date? Or even sweetened a bit?

Better late on the deal then never . . . just signed a lease agreement today for $458/mo (includes taxes), NO MONEY DOWN. Unlimited miles and Blizzard Pearl color. Hopefully I will be picking up the car tomorrow or the next day. It will park in my garage next to my Honda Fit EV. :D I look forward to getting to know some of you on the forum.

ohyeahbigtime said:
Better late on the deal then never . . . just signed a lease agreement today for $458/mo (includes taxes), NO MONEY DOWN. Unlimited miles and Blizzard Pearl color. Hopefully I will be picking up the car tomorrow or the next day. It will park in my garage next to my Honda Fit EV. :D I look forward to getting to know some of you on the forum.

Welcome! I think I saw your post on the Honda Fit EV Facebook page!

Today is the big day for gamblers! What deal will tomorrow bring?

TonyWilliams said:
http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx

Offer Ends 9/30/2013:

Copied from toyota.com website:

2013 RAV4 EV - 0% APR for 60 mos.

0% APR for 60 months!
Buy now and make NO PAYMENTS FOR 90 DAYS!
Includes Two Years Complimentary Maintenance – Click to See All the Benefits of Toyota Care*

Offer Ends 9/30/2013
Offers available only through Toyota Financial Services to well-qualified buyers. 60 monthly payments of $16.67 per $1000 borrowed with 0% APR. No down payment required if qualified. Deferred payments not available on leases. Interest accrues from date of purchase. Some additional restrictions apply, see dealer for details. Offer excludes RAV4 and ends 9/30/13. *Covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25K miles, whichever comes first. The new Toyota vehicle cannot be part of a rental or commercial fleet, or a livery or taxi vehicle. See participating dealer for complete plan details. Valid only in the continental United States and Alaska. Longevity claim based on Polk U.S. Vehicles in Operation registration statistics MY 1992–2012 as of October 2012.

Request A Quote
Find A Dealer
Email This Offer
Print This Offer
Dealer Specials

In the fine print of the online offer today, September 15, 2013, it says " exclude Rav4". So the discount of $15,000 and 0% financing does not apply to Rav4 EVs? I don't see the 36 month financing offer today.

As I try to find the lowest price on a 2013 Rav4 EV, the good deals seem to evaporate! I inquired about one online deal and was told it did not apply to cash deals which I want, only to leases. The lease deal seems to come to, (for example $27.78 x 39.84 with 20% down = $9960) $39843.19 so where did the discounts go? the buyer would have paid $39843.19 + 9960 = $49803.19 The MSRP is $49,800. Are there no dealer or ToyotaUSA discounts for cash buyers?

Thanks to everyone posting valuable information on buying an ev! I have been studying your entries since July 2013. I have been researching an ev for me for 10 years! I hope to find my best deal soon. My budget is tight but the world needs fresh air and I believe evs have a part to play in achieving that.

I think the optimum deal was last week, and your bet would be to wait and see if anything new gets offered as of the first of the month, and then take advantage of that on the first Tuesday when the new batch of free charging stations is released. Otherwise, the deal that Dianne at Carson is offering is still pretty sweet even if you did miss the free charger, and you can invest your cash in something else for a few years while you make the lease payments -

Toyota is offering 7500 in lease cash, not cash rebate. Why would you buy when they are giving you the extra bonus, also they threw in basically 0% financing on the lease and you get the federal credit up front. If you can afford it, buy now before it is too late. Given how well the car sold last month, I find it hard that they will do much more.

I think the cvrp rebate will be extended, but it is running close to the end. You might want to keep that in mind. If money is tight, get a leaf if you really want an ev. They will run you a lot less

Tadol said:
I think the optimum deal was last week, and your bet would be to wait and see if anything new gets offered as of the first of the month, and then take advantage of that on the first Tuesday when the new batch of free charging stations is released. Otherwise, the deal that Dianne at Carson is offering is still pretty sweet even if you did miss the free charger, and you can invest your cash in something else for a few years while you make the lease payments -

From February 2013 to September 2013, Toyota's deals are getting worse from a buyer's viewpoint. I would expect their October deals to give even fewer discounts to a buyer. A lot of rav4 evs sold in August. Toyota can afford to cut some of its incentives. Have you forum folks seen the manufacturer's offers get better after a period of increased sales?

Maybe I better move on a purchase pronto...I do want to own. I don't want my ev crushed at the end of a lease.

I have a favorite friend over the mountain in Santa Cruz (56 miles one way) and my favorite cousin is in San Jose (45 miles one way). I need to be able to visit them at the drop of a hat...the rav4 ev has the range I need. My ICE mechanic favors the rav4ev over the ford focus ev, my second choice for an ev. I question whether the ffev will make it over the mountain to Santa Cruz...Thanks all, for sharing your advice and experience.

Crush what. You have the option to buy the car after three years at about 19.5k. Own it if you don't want free 6500 7500 lease cash minus the acquisition fees and the ability to get the 7500 now rather than year end.

cossie1600 said:
Toyota is offering 7500 in lease cash, not cash rebate. Why would you buy when they are giving you the extra bonus, also they threw in basically 0% financing on the lease and you get the federal credit up front. If you can afford it, buy now before it is too late. Given how well the car sold last month, I find it hard that they will do much more.

I think the cvrp rebate will be extended, but it is running close to the end. You might want to keep that in mind. If money is tight, get a leaf if you really want an ev. They will run you a lot less

Today's deal 9-16-13

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV 4dr SUV Exterior View photos

Base 4dr SUV (Electric 1-speed Direct Drive)
35 VEHICLES AVAILABLE
Today's Deal - Toyota RAV4 EV
Stock Photo Stock Photo

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV Base
VIN: 2T3YL4DV7DW002059
N/AN/A
Toyota Sunnyvale - (888) 547-6523
4 other Special Offers available

34 miles away
MSRP: $50,870
Special Offer
Available until 09/30/13
VIEW PRICE NOW

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV Incentives and Rebates
RAV4 EV SUV $ Offer Financing Leasing Other Dealer
4dr SUV (3-phase, 4-pole electric DD) Available Available Available Available
Subscribe to Edmunds.com Newsletter

When I clicked on Leasing, the deal stated until 12-31-13. So that gives some length of time to go for leasing if one likes leasing.

longrangeview said:
Special Offer
Available until 09/30/13
VIEW PRICE NOW

That's a full pop deal with zero discount. Also, there's no way that a dealer can guarantee what Toyota will offer after 9.30.2013.

Like many / most dealers, they would say just about anything that they think they can get away with to sell you a car.

TonyWilliams said:
longrangeview said:
Special Offer
Available until 09/30/13
VIEW PRICE NOW

That's a full pop deal with zero discount. Also, there's no way that a dealer can guarantee what Toyota will offer after 9.30.2013.

Like many / most dealers, they would say just about anything that they think they can get away with to sell you a car.

Thanks for your reply. I feel the same way. Here is an excerpt from Confessions of an Undercover Car Salesman from edmunds.com:

Leasing is very popular these days. One of the benefits, from the salesman's point of view, is that it is so complicated that the customer sits transfixed during negotiations, unable to defend themselves. Usually, the salesman hits the customer with incredibly high monthly payments on a purchase plan. Then, as if the idea just popped into their mind, the salesman will say, "You know, there might be another way to get the payments down... Have you folks ever considered leasing?"

Personally, I think leasing can be a good way to go. For one thing, leasing allows people to drive more expensive cars. But you have to be careful. Some dealers base leases on 110 percent of the vehicle's sticker price. This is called a "full pop lease" and it's what most dealerships aim for. Also, it's easy to disguise the interest rate in a lease because it is expressed as a decimal multiplier instead of a more recognizable percentage rate. For example, a 9 percent interest rate becomes .00375.

I test drove with Sunnyvale Toyota but they would not come down low enough on price. I would look elsewhere if you're going on price alone. Good no hassle service, but could not get low enough for me on price. This was in regards to the lease.

You need to spend more time doing the actual math than reading articles. I hope you know Toyota is offering the lease at .00001, which is essentially 0% for the three years of the lease ($20 over three years). Most dealers will sell you the car for about $48K. If you pay more, that is your fault (Dianne is here to get you that price). Factor in the $15K you get back from Toyota, the cap cost for the car is around $33K + $2K in fees and taxes. If you purchase, I don't think you get any additional cash rebate as you get the 0%. Unless the programs have changed and you get the $7500 or $10K rebate, which I didn't hear. 0% is nice, but you would still be financing $53K after you figure in taxes. I mean you do get the $7500 in federal tax credit at the end, but that's assuming you have that much to claim.

I had a trade in, so I just bought it locally. I got the deal done within two hours at Palo Alto.

bwt9.jpg

Back