$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Has anyone been shopping for 2013 RAV4 EV lease using the $15,400 rebate cash until 9/30? I have surveyed a few dealers in the San Jose area and the drive-off amount is varying a lot. I have gotten offers from $4K down to $6K down and $299+Taxes for 36K miles lease. No one offered less than $4K. Appreciate any updates if you have leased recently.

pkris.

Down payment does not matter.. Negotiate the price (capital cost for the lease) and work from there.. I leased 2013 silver Rav4EV from Hayward Toyota for $280+tax, 12000mi/year with 4k down.

Tony, how is it different from purchase, in which case you are putting 100% down?
My understanding is - purchase or lease - insurance will pay the totaled car value; you keep the down payment and pay the rest to dealer.

I agree with Tony. Never put any money down.
If you have excellent credit, they can spread the downpayment to your monthly so instead of $299/month, it can be $350-450/month. ( just doing a ballpark figure).

And there's GAP insurance to pay for the difference ( Insurance will only pay KBB value)

@knrav4ev, so let say the buyer drove the Rav4ev out the door..he was super excited and didn't expect the instant torque..resulting into a totalled EV ( ouch). If he had put a downpayment, he will lose all that. $4,000.
However, if he had put zero down, he will only lose a small amount ( title, registration etc) and probably a deductible from his insurance.

Now if he needs to get into another EV, he would have to do everything all over again. $3,999 down for a $299/month for 36 months unlimited miles lease.

BTW, i have zero down on my lease. ( except for titles, registration etc)

pkris_2000 said:
Hi,

Has anyone been shopping for 2013 RAV4 EV lease using the $15,400 rebate cash until 9/30? I have surveyed a few dealers in the San Jose area and the drive-off amount is varying a lot. I have gotten offers from $4K down to $6K down and $299+Taxes for 36K miles lease. No one offered less than $4K. Appreciate any updates if you have leased recently.

pkris.

I used Lisa at palo alto, she knows what to do and what to give u. I put zero out of pocket about to write my first check out

knrav4ev said:
Tony, how is it different from purchase, in which case you are putting 100% down?
My understanding is - purchase or lease - insurance will pay the totaled car value; you keep the down payment and pay the rest to dealer.

Well, on a purchase without GAP coverage on your insurance or loan (if any), obviously you would be out the difference between how much you paid and how much the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of the car is. The difference could be breathtaking. I always recommend GAP with again... zero down on a purchase.

Same for a lease. The only thing you'll be relieved from in the case of a "total loss" of your leased vehicle is the future monthly payments. Everything you paid is gone forever. Again, zero down is the only smart way to go.

Tadol said:
I think the optimum deal was last week, and your bet would be to wait and see if anything new gets offered as of the first of the month, and then take advantage of that on the first Tuesday when the new batch of free charging stations is released. Otherwise, the deal that Dianne at Carson is offering is still pretty sweet even if you did miss the free charger, and you can invest your cash in something else for a few years while you make the lease payments -

Thank you. I take to heart your message that I may want to invest my cash in something else for a few years while I make payments. (With my temperament "invest" means a bank savings account for short terms like 5 yrs or less.) I am not into leases (after I would have paid off the $49800 lease, I would have to pay an additional $20000 to buy the ev). But perhaps I would try Toyota Financing's 0% interest and 0$ down deal. What is the catch with that?

I also emailed Dianne, per your advice. I wonder how that deal could work when Carson Toyota, her dealer, is so far from me. She is in West L.A. and I am in the EastBay in Northern California. Isn't there a shipping/delivery fee that increases based on greater distances?

longrangeview said:
... I am not into leases (after I would have paid off the $49800 lease, I would have to pay an additional $20000 to buy the ev). But perhaps I would try Toyota Financing's 0% interest and 0$ down deal. What is the catch with that?

Please read through the first post in this thread. It is not a "$49,800 lease", but instead $299 per month with $3999 down, plus fees, taxes, license, etc.

Or, it's $415 per month with zero down at basically 0% interest (lease money factor of 0.00001 multiplied by 2400 = interest rate) for 12,000 miles per year of use.

Unlimited miles on the lease is about $445 monthly. You don't have to buy the car for $20k at the end of the lease; that's the true beauty. You can turn it in, or buy it... your choice.

I also emailed Dianne, per your advice. I wonder how that deal could work when Carson Toyota, her dealer, is so far from me. She is in West L.A. and I am in the EastBay in Northern California. Isn't there a shipping/delivery fee that increases based on greater distances?

Yes, she will ship it for a fee, or you can drive it home. Here's somebody who drove his newly purchased Rav4 EV from Oxnard to Los Altos.

I don't know where you are in the east SF Bay, but from Carson Toyota to Hayward is about 430 miles. That's an easy two day trip, with the half way point in San Luis Obispo to sleep.

215 miles for each day would mean starting with a full charge at both the dealer and in San Luis Obispo. Then, each day, you would have to find about 70 miles worth of charging opportunity, which is likely about 3-4 hours each day charging before you got home.

From the dealer, you can drive 120 miles to Goleta / Santa Barbara for you first charge on day one.

On day two, from San Luis Obispo, you can go 127 miles to Salinas to charge.

Easy, easy trip in a Rav4 EV.

TonyWilliams said:
... Or, it's $415 per month with zero down at basically 0% interest (lease money factor of 0.0001 multiplied by 2400 = interest rate) for 12,000 miles per year of use.

Make that lease rate .00001 NOT .0001

12k per year example = 415 per month *36 months = $14,940.
If you decide to purchase at lease end at residual of $20,916 + tax/license/doc (approx 10% = $2,091.6)...

Then you have spent $37,950 for that "49,800" car

Payments of $14,940 + Residual of $20,916 + Tax/Lic/Doc of $2,091.6 = $37,947.6

Actually 415 less than that since your first month lease payment is made in advance from the 15,400 subvention cash in the "0" down example :)

TonyWilliams said:
longrangeview said:
... I am not into leases (after I would have paid off the $49800 lease, I would have to pay an additional $20000 to buy the ev). But perhaps I would try Toyota Financing's 0% interest and 0$ down deal. What is the catch with that?

Please read through the first post in this thread. It is not a "$49,800 lease", but instead $299 per month with $3999 down, plus fees, taxes, license, etc.

Or, it's $415 per month with zero down at basically 0% interest (lease money factor of 0.00001 multiplied by 2400 = interest rate) for 12,000 miles per year of use.

Unlimited miles on the lease is about $445 monthly. You don't have to buy the car for $20k at the end of the lease; that's the true beauty. You can turn it in, or buy it... your choice.

Yes, she will ship it for a fee, or you can drive it home. Here's somebody who drove his newly purchased Rav4 EV from Oxnard to Los Altos.

I don't know where you are in the east SF Bay, but from Carson Toyota to Hayward is about 430 miles. That's an easy two day trip, with the half way point in San Luis Obispo to sleep.

215 miles for each day would mean starting with a full charge at both the dealer and in San Luis Obispo. Then, each day, you would have to find about 70 miles worth of charging opportunity, which is likely about 3-4 hours each day charging before you got home.

From the dealer, you can drive 120 miles to Goleta / Santa Barbara for you first charge on day one.

Wow! What a great adventure, driving the EV from Oxnard to Los Altos!

I see what you mean. That lease deal should be viewed as $299 a month for 36 or 60 months whichever is offered. With that deal there is really a discount of $15,000. However, the day I checked toyota.com, I could not find that deal for the rav4ev. That's why I posted my query about "what happened to the discount?" It seemed to have disappeared.

longrangeview said:
TonyWilliams said:
longrangeview said:

Wow! What a great adventure, driving the EV from Oxnard to Los Altos!

I see what you mean. That lease deal should be viewed as $299 a month for 36 or 60 months whichever is offered. With that deal there is really a discount of $15,000. However, the day I checked toyota.com, I could not find that deal for the rav4ev. That's why I posted my query about "what happened to the discount?" It seemed to have disappeared.

430 miles...hmmm That could be a wonderful trip. Maybe I could throw in Big Sur...Back to to work week reality-better sign off for now and I'll keep that fine dream in mind for later.

longrangeview said:
430 miles...hmmm That could be a wonderful trip. Maybe I could throw in Big Sur...Back to to work week reality-better sign off for now and I'll keep that fine dream in mind for later.

Well, that only adds about 20 miles overall, for 450 miles total.

For the Carson Toyota via Big Sur to Hayward, California, I recommend a full charge in Morro Bay so that you can make it to Monterey.

Gosh you guys have way more courage than me. I'd hate to add stress to a purchase like this. I just ship north... it's not that much to northern CA, and is far less nerve wracking. :)

Di

amfca said:
TonyWilliams said:
... Or, it's $415 per month with zero down at basically 0% interest (lease money factor of 0.0001 multiplied by 2400 = interest rate) for 12,000 miles per year of use.

Make that lease rate .00001 NOT .0001

12k per year example = 415 per month *36 months = $14,940.
If you decide to purchase at lease end at residual of $20,916 + tax/license/doc (approx 10% = $2,091.6)...

Then you have spent $37,950 for that "49,800" car

Payments of $14,940 + Residual of $20,916 + Tax/Lic/Doc of $2,091.6 = $37,947.6

Actually 415 less than that since your first month lease payment is made in advance from the 15,400 subvention cash in the "0" down example :)

Offers I have received as of today: Comparing Apples to Eggplants and Dried Mushrooms)

2013 2013 2013 2012

Credit Union Car Buy Svc Toyota Financing Toyota Lease Dealers Used 2012 for Cash

Price: $49,330 $48,600 $48,600 $34,000

Totals: $54,900 $53,900 $39,100 $38,000

Incentives?
- $10,000 - $10,000 - $2500 $0

$44,900 $43,900 $36,600 $38,000

So, an anti-lease person is herded toward the lease...Paying $420 month x 35 months =$14700+
a residual of about 20,000=$34,700 to finally buy the car. My goal is to buy the car at the lowest price I can get. Of course as several of you have pointed out, after 3 years, I may prefer to buy a different car, for example "Tesla's affordable car for everyone" or Toyota's all electric Corolla or Camry.

TonyWilliams said:
portishead said:
Ouch, it cost me $5200 down to get $299/month. Biggest cost was paying tax on Toyota's $15000 rebate.

Don't "total" it, or get it stolen!! That $5200 will be gone forever!

Yeah I know. For some reason the dealer was giving me crappy quotes if I did 0 down. I should have looked into it more, but I rolled the dice a little. I'll get $2500 back, so I'd only really be out $2700. Which would still suck.

Back