$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving Dianne's quote from other thread here:

Dianne said:
I hope you will call me before the 30th for quite a few reasons I can't get into here!
I have sight of the 2014's (same car of course, no changes) and I do not expect the current incentives to continue for lot of reasons... mainly good solid logic and loads of experience.

Since Tuesday is the first day of October, you can purchase Mon Sep 30th to qualify for the lease deal, and then have the dealer actually book it on Tuesday, so you get the "free" 30A EVSE on top of it. This is what I did over labor day weekend, but they ended up extending the deal so it didn't matter.

rav4buyer said:
Moving Dianne's quote from other thread here:

Dianne said:
I hope you will call me before the 30th for quite a few reasons I can't get into here!
I have sight of the 2014's (same car of course, no changes) and I do not expect the current incentives to continue for lot of reasons... mainly good solid logic and loads of experience.

Since Tuesday is the first day of October, you can purchase Mon Sep 30th to qualify for the lease deal, and then have the dealer actually book it on Tuesday, so you get the "free" 30A EVSE on top of it. This is what I did over labor day weekend, but they ended up extending the deal so it didn't matter.

Can you explain more about the "free" 30A EVSE? Is that a toyota deal?
thanks

rav4buyer said:

What a great idea!

Dianne should move a ton of Rav4 EVs this weekend through Monday. For those thinking that a better deal is waiting for you in October, I seriously doubt it.

The 2014 model year cars won't have the same deal, just like the 2013 model year cars didn't as they tried to unload all the 2012 cars. The 2013's are almost sold out, so you do the math.

Toyota has contracted for exactly 2600 cars, and that's based on how many credits they estimate for each car. Currently, that should be 3 credits for each "Type II - 100+ miles range" car sold in California. But, if the car is sold and REGISTERED out of state, they likely only get half or less credits for CARB states (the "traveling" provision") and perhaps ZERO for a non-CARB state. So, the incentive is for them to make every attempt to keep the cars in state is HUGE.

So, if they can't get 2600 * 3 = 7800 credits for the three model years as planned, they can't make any more Rav4 EVs to compensate for the lost credits... which means that they will have to pay a $5000 per credit penalty per car not produced, plus buy credits on the open market to make up for the cars that didn't get 3 credits each.

Clearly, Toyota is no doubt becoming increasingly agitated with out of state sales. This isn't hard to figure out, folks!!! They built the car for one reason, and it is costing them TENS of millions of dollars to sell them to you (so they can sell oil burner cars in California and other CARB states). They can't prevent a dealer from doing "interstate commerce", but they can make it difficult for you to own and purchase the car out of state.

We have already seen the scheme of dealers not getting paid for service and warranty repairs who are out of state (and therefore are not certified dealers).

1. Intentionally limiting sales to California only
2. Not including CHAdeMO, even though Toyota is a founding CHAdeMO member
3. No unlimited mileage leases out of state... already happening.
4. Harassing dealers who want to service / warranty repair the car by not paying them!!! Yes, it's happening.
5. Limiting the listing of charging stations in the Navigation unit to California only

In the future, I predict different incentives for out of state, to wit:

6. Limiting the discounts on the car to only California sales and registration
7. Different Toyota interest rate / lease money factors on sales out of state
8. Limiting the car in some obtuse way (making Entunes not work, or some other petty method to make the car less attractive out of state)
9. Limited parts availability to non-California states (i.e., you can't even pay cash for the parts, let alone get warranty repairs)
10. Any other way that the lawyers will sign off on to make sure that the car is likely to be sold and registered only in California through 2014 model year

So, for out-of-state buyers, things will get worse, I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE IT.

For instate, the discounts will likely go down until they feel the pressure to sell model year 2014 cars. The CARB-ZEV credits are attached to the model year.

If you don't buy by Monday, at least you can say that you had plenty of info to ponder.

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/

eugenepan... see link above. Not a Toyota deal... but some important caveats such as chargers have to show as available when you apply and application must be done on the same day as the day you "lease" the car (guess that could be worked out with the dealer). first Tues of the month, the allocation updated. also you pay for city permits, and installation

EVlearner said:
http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/

eugenepan... see link above. Not a Toyota deal... but some important caveats such as chargers have to show as available when you apply and application must be done on the same day as the day you "lease" the car (guess that could be worked out with the dealer). first Tues of the month, the allocation updated. also you pay for city permits, and installation

thanks for the information.
eugene

Gang, you can't play games with sale dates when an incentive is slated to change.
Last month, chargers were open and available at a point where incentives were NOT changing. Dating something at a later date that was not being delivered yet (ie via transporter) was no problem.

This coming month, the incentives go thru ONLY the day before the chargers come fee.
Presuming what I expect to happen will happen, you'll wish you hadn't put the free charger ahead of a sure bet on a $15,400 lease incentive and what's a specific residual we are fully expecting to drop Oct 1.

If I pushed dates forward, it was within the same incentive period and therefore, did things RIGHT and dated them with the delivery date for the car.
That won't be the case this incentive transition period.
Lots of changes expected this time around because inventory's super super slim right now everywhere.

Just to echo what others have said, Dianne Whitmire is really who you want to get your RAV4EV from. I just kicked off a lease on Friday with her and the process couldn't have gone any smoother. Within 5 minutes of sitting down at her desk I was already getting emails from CVRP that my rebate had been reserved and Entune was setup on my account. Maybe you can get a cheaper price somewhere else (I seriously doubt it) but you can get flawless service with Dianne. She called a few hours before I showed up to see if I wanted the reverse beep disabled (I did and had completely forgotten to ask for it). Little touches like that really make the whole lease (or purchase) process a breeze. I'm sure it helps that she drives a RAV4EV herself...

Just one more vote for Dianne, while I don't have a Rav4, I did lease my wife's Prius through Dianne. It was by far the easiest, no hassle car buying experience I've ever had...

I sure appreciate your kindness of saying something here. I get "hit and run" so often (LOL) with folks who buy, have a very thorough experience and don't post to that effect... so your efforts/kindness to say so are appreciated! :D

Dianne

the2bobs said:
Just to echo what others have said, Dianne Whitmire is really who you want to get your RAV4EV from. I just kicked off a lease on Friday with her and the process couldn't have gone any smoother. Within 5 minutes of sitting down at her desk I was already getting emails from CVRP that my rebate had been reserved and Entune was setup on my account. Maybe you can get a cheaper price somewhere else (I seriously doubt it) but you can get flawless service with Dianne.

Exactly my thoughts as well - except I will add, that her "assistant" Jane was also very excellent. When Diane was getting busy Jane had to handle the paperwork and walk-thru, the process didn't skip a beat. And Dianne follows up - just today I got an email from her letting her know my license number ahead of time so I can apply for the HOV sticker.
GREAT SERVICE!

Thanks again to Dianne Whitmire and the entire crew at Carson Toyota. I picked up my Silver Rav4 EV on Saturday evening. Dianne had a long day but took the time to get all the paperwork done, the car ready to go, and me out the door in no time. I didn't open my checkbook, got unlimited miles, and a great price. I've graduated from a plug-in hybrid (Chevy Volt) to a full electric.

Next stop: getting rid of my Blink charger. It takes about 10 hours to recharge with that detuned (16 amp) unit. The good thing is my sub-panel in the garage is already ready, with a dedicated 40 amp circuit connected to the Blink. Any recommendations would be nice.

bruin nut said:
Next stop: getting rid of my Blink charger. It takes about 10 hours to recharge with that detuned (16 amp) unit. The good thing is my sub-panel in the garage is already ready, with a dedicated 40 amp circuit connected to the Blink. Any recommendations would be nice.

Here's a thread on charging stations. If you're going to keep the 40 amp circuit, make sure you don't put a 40 amp charge station on there! You need a 30 amp one, or upgrade to 6 gauge wiring with a 50 amp breaker for a 40 amp station.

Virtually all public charging is 30 amp service, so the variable is the voltage. Most public charging is at commercial 208 volts, while at your house and most RV parks are 240 volts.

208v * 30 = 6.24kW

240v * 30 = 7.2kW

This is power from the wall, and with 87.5% charger efficiency, the actual energy into the battery is 5.46kW and 6.3kW respectively.

Typically economy of 2.7 miles/kWh around town will result in 14.742 and 17.01 miles per hour of charging respectively.

At your house at 240v and 40amp (or a typical RV park with "50 amp service" using a NEMA 14-50 plug), you will draw 9.6kW from the wall and 8.4kW into the battery, resulting in 22.68 miles per hour charging for the city. For freeway driving at 3.4 miles per kWh (65mph on level ground), that would be 28.6 miles per hour.

MILES GAINED PER HOUR CHARGING @ 70F+ Battery Temp
87.5% charger efficiency

--------------------- 2.7m/kWh --- 3.4m/kWh ---
----------------------- City -------- Freeway ---

6.2kW (208v*30a) ----- 14.7 miles --- 18.9 miles -- most public EVSEs

7.2kW (240v*30a) ----- 17.1 miles --- 21.4 miles -- some public EVSEs

9.6kW (240v*40a) ----- 22.7 miles --- 28.6 miles -- home and RV park

NOTE: Charger begins slowing above approximately 90% battery SOC.

TonyWilliams said:
bruin nut said:

Here's a thread on charging stations. If you're going to keep the 40 amp circuit, make sure you don't put a 40 amp charge station on there! You need a 30 amp one, or upgrade to 6 gauge wiring with a 50 amp breaker for a 40 amp station.

Virtually all public charging is 30 amp service, so the variable is the voltage. Most public charging is at commercial 208 volts, while at your house and most RV parks are 240 volts.

208v * 30 = 6.24kW

240v * 30 = 7.2kW

This is power from the wall, and with 87.5% charger efficiency, the actual energy into the battery is 5.46kW and 6.3kW respectively.

Typically economy of 2.7 miles/kWh around town will result in 14.742 and 17.01 miles per hour of charging respectively.

At your house at 240v and 40amp (or a typical RV park with "50 amp service" using a NEMA 14-50 plug), you will draw 9.6kW from the wall and 8.4kW into the battery, resulting in 22.68 miles per hour charging for the city. For freeway driving at 3.4 miles per kWh (65mph on level ground), that would be 28.6 miles per hour.

MILES GAINED PER HOUR CHARGING @ 70F+ Battery Temp
87.5% charger efficiency

--------------------- 2.7m/kWh --- 3.4m/kWh ---
----------------------- City -------- Freeway ---

6.2kW (208v*30a) ----- 14.7 miles --- 18.9 miles -- most public EVSEs

7.2kW (240v*30a) ----- 17.1 miles --- 21.4 miles -- some public EVSEs

9.6kW (240v*40a) ----- 22.7 miles --- 28.6 miles -- home and RV park

NOTE: Charger begins slowing above approximately 90% battery SOC.

Tony,

So what about your "homemade" Tesla charger. Would that work for me if I upgraded to a 50 amp circuit? Could I use it with the 40 amp circuit that I currently have? Do you think that is a better choice than a retail unit?

From this day forward, on al Rav4 EVs and PlugIn Prii, all cars will have their HOV stickers applied for in advance. At some point soon, I'll have them on-hand and ready with your car when you leave.
Whew. One less step for me to worry about LOL! And you all into the HOV lanes immediately.
Dianne

rav4buyer said:
Any word on whether the lease deal ended?

Looks like extended another month..

Lease a RAV4 EV for $299 a mo. + tax after $15,400 lease cash

$299 a month plus tax for 36 months
$3,999 Drive-off
After $15,400 Lease Cash is applied
Sales tax not included and is calculated (estimated at $1,600) before lease cash is applied.
Includes ToyotaCare
Offer Ends 11/4/2013

Not correct. Check the website again. Lease cash is only $14,000 now (went down by $1,400).

Lease a RAV4 EV for $339 a mo. + tax after $14,000 lease cash

$339 a month plus tax for 36 months
$5,000 Drive-off
After $14,000 Lease Cash is applied
Drive-off does not account for estimated lease cash tax of $400 that is due at signing
Includes ToyotaCare
Offer Ends 11/4/2013

cooljw said:
Not correct. Check the website again. Lease cash is only $14,000 now (went down by $1,400).

$5,000 Drive-off
Drive-off does not account for estimated lease cash tax of $400 that is due at signing
Includes ToyotaCare
Offer Ends 11/4/2013

Exactly. They jacked up the down payment to deal with the lower residual value. And now the 12k per year deal is more expensive than the unlimited mileage lease was just yesterday. I sure am glad I pulled the trigger on Saturday.

bruin nut said:
cooljw said:

$5,000 Drive-off
Includes ToyotaCare
Offer Ends 11/4/2013

Exactly. They jacked up the down payment to deal with the lower residual value. And now the 12k per year deal is more expensive than the unlimited mileage lease was just yesterday. I sure am glad I pulled the trigger on Saturday.

so, who thinks the number of rav4 ev selling in october will approach 0. The car is basically a one year old car, and the price has increased. Who will lease one now? Everyone that was sitting on the fence will probably wait until November to see what kind of new offer will be presented. At least, that is what I plan to do.

I was thinking that the $299, $3999 combo was a little on the high side due to the lack of Toyota support, and now with the CEO coming out this statement. I think they should have lowered the price even further. Just clear them off their books. Now it is going to drag on forever.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303918804579107213728805086.html

Back