$17,500 off by 1 Dec 2014, Production Ended August 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For instate, the discounts will likely go down until they feel the pressure to sell model year 2014 cars. The CARB-ZEV credits are attached to the model year.

If you don't buy by Monday, at least you can say that you had plenty of info to ponder.

Eugene, read TonyWilliams prior post. The credits are attached to the model year. If they are low on 2013 inventory, they are going to lessen the discount. They're still in the profit maximization game even if they will be discontinuing after the 2014 model year.

cooljw said:
Not correct. Check the website again. Lease cash is only $14,000 now (went down by $1,400).

Lease a RAV4 EV for $339 a mo. + tax after $14,000 lease cash

$339 a month plus tax for 36 months
$5,000 Drive-off
After $14,000 Lease Cash is applied
Drive-off does not account for estimated lease cash tax of $400 that is due at signing
Includes ToyotaCare
Offer Ends 11/4/2013

Interesting, they changed it between the time I checked and posted and the time you checked and posted. When I checked it had the $15,400 with the 11/4/2013 end date. Too bad I didn't screen capture.

eugenepan said:
bruin nut said:
cooljw said:
Not correct. Check the website again. Lease cash is only $14,000 now (went down by $1,400).

Lease a RAV4 EV for $339 a mo. + tax after $14,000 lease cash

$339 a month plus tax for 36 months
$5,000 Drive-off
After $14,000 Lease Cash is applied
Drive-off does not account for estimated lease cash tax of $400 that is due at signing
Includes ToyotaCare
Offer Ends 11/4/2013

Exactly. They jacked up the down payment to deal with the lower residual value. And now the 12k per year deal is more expensive than the unlimited mileage lease was just yesterday. I sure am glad I pulled the trigger on Saturday.

so, who thinks the number of rav4 ev selling in october will approach 0. The car is basically a one year old car, and the price has increased. Who will lease one now? Everyone that was sitting on the fence will probably wait until November to see what kind of new offer will be presented. At least, that is what I plan to do.

I was thinking that the $299, $3999 combo was a little on the high side due to the lack of Toyota support, and now with the CEO coming out this statement. I think they should have lowered the price even further. Just clear them off their books. Now it is going to drag on forever.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303918804579107213728805086.html

I still think they'll lease a good amount. All the vehicles are identical (2012, 2013, and 2014). The money factor is still basically zero. The only difference is a slight reduction in the Toyota cash and an increase in the residual value. Once the 2014's roll in, they'll likely do the same type of lease deal as the one that just expired. After all, they do need hit that 2600 mark.

They will probably take their time to clear out the 2013's before they apply any incentive to the 2014's. That is what they did with the 2012 to 2013 transition. The August and September selling rate is well above what they need to meet the required quantity. They can afford a pause in sales in October and even into November. The incentives will ramp up again on the 2014's by December or January. People's expectations are already set by the incentive history. Nobody even knows about this car unless they've done some research. If they've done their research, they know about the incentives. That is the trap Toyota is stuck in now.

miimura said:
They will probably take their time to clear out the 2013's before they apply any incentive to the 2014's. That is what they did with the 2012 to 2013 transition. The August and September selling rate is well above what they need to meet the required quantity. They can afford a pause in sales in October and even into November. The incentives will ramp up again on the 2014's by December or January. People's expectations are already set by the incentive history. Nobody even knows about this car unless they've done some research. If they've done their research, they know about the incentives. That is the trap Toyota is stuck in now.

If we decide to get one, we will just wait until Dec or Jan or whenever. I can't see paying more for an older car. What is the current residual? I am not sure how the previous person calculated it as nearly the same. It looks like the $1400 difference in incentive + the reduced residual is $2840 more.

Residuals dropped 1% of the base invoice, so about $500.
All new car residuals dropped tho - from Yaris to Landcruiser.

No, sales aren't gonna drop to 0.
:roll:
It's the only car of its size, and nature that one can lease for unlimited mileage with such a huge cash incentive and still retain a large state rebate.
Logically, when you eliminate the sales tax on that extra $1,400 bucks at an average of 9% (slightly lower in surrounding counties, but using 9 as a reference point) it's really just a $1275 diff ... and that's what someone leasing would pay as a penalty if their commute created a 8,500 mileage overage. Using 15 cents a mile again as example.

The unlimited mileage lease will sell this car's terms, even with a slightly lower cash incentive.
It was just a few months ago that there were $5000, 6000, and $7500 and then 10K incentives.
I find the $14,000 number far more appealing and this support financially with UNLIMITED miles seems like the best thing going. Matter of fact, it seemed too good to be true so now I am in my very own 6-days a week. :D

We sold 48 last month. I am down to 17 but only 10 are physically here.. and even when you eliminate the potential out of state business, I am projecting that we'll be out of the 2013's in 7-10 days. Could be 3 weeks total on the cumulative total of 17 because the last 7 are not yet here, since I am out of town for three days next week planning to recuperate from this frenzy (LOL) but fully expect to be sold out of the 2013 EVs by month end at the latest.

As always, this is my own estimation and opinion. I'm not always right. But where this particular vehicle's concerned..... I'm pretty intuitive about things.

Dianne

They are still building and shipping 2013's.
I have visibility of the 2014's on my inventory (eventually they will arrive) but can also see I still have 2013's at plant, unbuilt.
We are not done with 13's.
And, the 14's are identical to the 13's. Which are identical to 12's.

cossie1600 said:
Dianne, they are done with 2013 right. What you see now is what we get as 2013 model?

After following this forum for a few weeks, I just picked up my new RAV4 EV from Dianne today, for which I'd gotten in on the old lease deal. It was truly an easy, fast, and no hassle car buying experience. I even got a glimpse into her commute as I hitched a ride with her on her way into work!

I'd definitely highly recommend working with Dianne if you plan on getting one of these.

I was not convinced that it was such a great deal, and I would guess that most of the population agrees. I am still considering it, but if I wasn't going to buy it last month at a lower price, there will be no way that I will buy it this month at a higher price.

I guess some people will get anxious and feel that they will need to buy it before the price goes up next month, but I guess the numbers will show us who is right.

I did a quick check at toyota dealers around the bay area, and I can see about 50 cars in inventory. I would be surprised with the price increase that they will all sell out. i guess i will check in a couple of weeks and see how much inventory each dealer has.

cooljw said:
After following this forum for a few weeks, I just picked up my new RAV4 EV from Dianne today, for which I'd gotten in on the old lease deal. It was truly an easy, fast, and no hassle car buying experience. I even got a glimpse into her commute as I hitched a ride with her on her way into work!

I'd definitely highly recommend working with Dianne if you plan on getting one of these.

Well done, cooljw. I assume you "leased" the Rav before the end of the month, and then picked it up today. I've had mine since Saturday and it has exceeded my lofty expectations.

bruin nut said:
Well done, cooljw. I assume you "leased" the Rav before the end of the month, and then picked it up today. I've had mine since Saturday and it has exceeded my lofty expectations.

Yep leased on Monday, just picked up today. Borrowed one a few weeks ago so I am familiar with the vehicle.

I am coming from a Prius Plug-In Advanced trim, and to be honest the RAV4 EV doesn't compare in terms of creature comforts and refinements (but we all knew that). But as a pure transportation appliance it's the bomb.

eugenepan said:
I did a quick check at toyota dealers around the bay area, and I can see about 50 cars in inventory. I would be surprised with the price increase that they will all sell out. i guess i will check in a couple of weeks and see how much inventory each dealer has.

Some dealer like Carson Toyota will trade for those Rav4 EVs. Don't worry, they will get sold... all 2600.

cooljw said:
bruin nut said:

Yep leased on Monday, just picked up today. Borrowed one a few weeks ago so I am familiar with the vehicle.

I am coming from a Prius Plug-In Advanced trim, and to be honest the RAV4 EV doesn't compare in terms of creature comforts and refinements (but we all knew that). But as a pure transportation appliance it's the bomb.

I am jealous of you Southern California folk driving off with your EVs. I just paid for a "reservation" with the trucking company today. Ooooh! I can hardly wait for them to deliver my EV!

Did any one in Northern California get their Carson Toyota EV yet? Enjoy your Rav4 EVs, all!

TonyWilliams said:
eugenepan said:

Some dealer like Carson Toyota will trade for those Rav4 EVs. Don't worry, they will get sold... all 2600.

I am not worried about it. I just think with the price increase, the rate of selling will decrease dramatically, and then they will have to add more incentives to encourage people to buy them. Of course, that is just my biased opinion. If they are all sold before I get mine, then I will look at some other vehicle. Conceptually, I like the vehicle, but I am only willing to pay so much for it. When I calculate the electricity usage, depending on the tier, it could be 11 cents per mile to drive it. A highlander with an MPG of 20 city costs 20 cents per mile. I drive less than 10000 miles per year, so that is only at most $900 per year of savings. So for me, I need the price to be lower.

eugenepan said:
I was not convinced that it was such a great deal, and I would guess that most of the population agrees. I am still considering it, but if I wasn't going to buy it last month at a lower price, there will be no way that I will buy it this month at a higher price.

I guess some people will get anxious and feel that they will need to buy it before the price goes up next month, but I guess the numbers will show us who is right.

Have a look at EV sales by brand by month...
http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Monthly-Plug-In-Sales-Sept-2013-vFinal.png

I am jealous of you Southern California folk driving off with your EVs. I just paid for a "reservation" with the trucking company today. Ooooh! I can hardly wait for them to deliver my EV!

Did any one in Northern California get their Carson Toyota EV yet? Enjoy your Rav4 EVs, all![/quote]

I picked up mine from Dianne in August. I'm in Sacramento. Almost 3K miles so far that have been perfect.

I got mine delivered from Dianne about two weeks ago today. Already did one "long" trip up to Dillon Beach, where we were forced to enjoy the beach and some beautiful weather while we waited the 28 hrs for it to recharge. Then had a wonderful ride home.

Next on the agenda - a cruise over the hill to Santa Cruz, find a lvl2 recharge station, then back home in the afternoon.

Its a great car - but I really want a portable 220v/30a charger -

Back