37k Miles, Anyone had a bad ball joint

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad11140

I have had my Rav for 1.5 years now. I make a regular commute from Las Vegas to State-line for work. In that time the vehicle has performed flawlessly for me. I have put on approximately 37,000 miles. I am almost ready for a tire replacement.

As of late I have noticed a very slight clunk sound that appears to originate from the drivers side front tire. If anyone has ever driven a car with a bad ball joint that is what it resembles. Its not as pronounced. It is very slight, but it happens when I accelerate from a dead stop. I can't believe that at 37k a ball joint could have gone bad. My driving is 100% highway and in town. No dirt roads.

Has anyone else experienced? My thoughts are that it could be a bad ball joint, or maybe the T-Bones where they attach to electric motor are making a clunking sound when the motor engages.

Its going to shop to be looked over this week, but wanted to see if anyone else has expierenced.

I don't know yet but I may have some additional data for you as early as today.
Over the last few weeks I started to notice a barely perceptible similar thump. Then a week ago, it went from barely perceptible to very pronounced.
I took it in and the service department said it was a failed rear axle seal. I said, "Really, it does not feel like the rear and not like a seal".
So I went to pick it up on Sat and it was very much still there, though still intermittent.
They are supposed to work on it today.

brad11140 said:
I have had my Rav for 1.5 years now. I make a regular commute from Las Vegas to State-line for work. In that time the vehicle has performed flawlessly for me. I have put on approximately 37,000 miles. I am almost ready for a tire replacement.

As of late I have noticed a very slight clunk sound that appears to originate from the drivers side front tire. If anyone has ever driven a car with a bad ball joint that is what it resembles. Its not as pronounced. It is very slight, but it happens when I accelerate from a dead stop. I can't believe that at 37k a ball joint could have gone bad. My driving is 100% highway and in town. No dirt roads.

Has anyone else experienced? My thoughts are that it could be a bad ball joint, or maybe the T-Bones where they attach to electric motor are making a clunking sound when the motor engages.

Its going to shop to be looked over this week, but wanted to see if anyone else has expierenced.

Hi Brad, I hear the same cluck you describe. I asked the shop to check it at 20k and they explained it as a normal engine engaging when breaking and accelerated sound. It sounds more like suspension or breaks as the cause to me. And I will insist on more checks the next service.

Have them check your front CV shaft bolts. Mine loosened up on the left shaft and made a clunking when accelerating and stopping. Once the re-tightened them it stopped.

Bassman said:
Have them check your front CV shaft bolts. Mine loosened up on the left shaft and made a clunking when accelerating and stopping. Once the re-tightened them it stopped.
That is it!
I went under the car and I can slightly move the CV shaft on the left side but not the right one.

I think the assembly line guy on that side had the wrong torque settings on his torque wrench. ;)

Thanks Bassman

Just to be clear, it is normal for the half-shaft between the two CV joints on each side of the car to move axially, but it should never move radially. Also, if you grab the large end of the rubber boot, it should be solid and not move at all except to rotate the shaft, which would also turn the tire.

miimura said:
Just to be clear, it is normal for the half-shaft between the two CV joints on each side of the car to move axially, but it should never move radially. Also, if you grab the large end of the rubber boot, it should be solid and not move at all except to rotate the shaft, which would also turn the tire.
Thanks, mine was a radial movement (front to back) with a clicking noise...not as loud as the clunk, I guess my arm can not apply the same forces as a car stopping.

yedrav4 said:
miimura said:
Thanks, mine was a radial movement (front to back) with a clicking noise...not as loud as the clunk, I guess my arm can not apply the same forces as a car stopping.

This sounds like my noise but I can't source an issue. It is a little better now but still there.

Back