5000 mile service

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningmay

Its time to get the RAV EV the 5k mile service. I called the closest (Fairfield) Toyota dealership (they do not sell the RAV EV's but do sell priuses and other hybrids) to check in. The reception clerk said they can do the 5k service.

Should I take it to them or should I take it to the closest Toyota (Walnut Creek) that does sell RAV EV's.

fooljoe said:
All they do is rotate the tires and possibly apply any software updates that might be out there. Any dealership can do it.

When they do a firmware upgrade:
Don't forget to check if they put a sticker with current firmware version under the hood.
DCH of Oxnard was not aware of this procedure and after I complained has now ordered the stickers.
Funny a customer has to tell them ;-)

smkettner said:
I plan to have my first service at 12 months 15k miles. Is this a huge issue?
I guess it just depends on how your tires are wearing. A rotation every 5k miles seems excessive to me, but then again waiting 15k miles might be a bit much. Maintenance every 5k is comped under Toyota Care, which all Rav4-EVs have, so why not take it in? (Although it certainly is a time suck.) If you're on a lease, however, you might want to make sure that you're not obligated to perform the regularly-scheduled maintenance else you could be subject to some sort of extra fees when you return the car. I purchased mine, so I have no idea about that though.

I expect the fronts to be significantly worn and just put them on the rear and run it another year+ before new shoes.
Just seems like a ploy to keep us in the habit of frequent service that is not really needed.
Even if free it does chew up a day.

My 5000 mile service was a joke.

I came in, they said, come back in an hour, I came back in an hour. My car was sitting in the lot, so I thought they were done. Went to the cashier, they said, nope, your car isn't ready. I realized they hadn't done anything in that hour. A few minutes later, someone goes out to the parking lot and hops in my car, they take it into the service bay.

Less than 5 minutes later, someone comes out with a form all filled out that said they did everything, and everything was great. Of course, the form says they "changed the oil" and everything to do with a gas-powered car. There is no mention of firmware. A few minutes after that, my car appears again and is ready.

I am not sure they even rotated the tires. Next time I'm going to mark them. I did not realize they were supposed to update firmware. I will have to call them.

Berkeley told me the firmware was buggy and didn't update anything - not even sure they checked the tires. I'm gonna use Walnut Creek for my 10k service -

Back