$7500 Cash Rebate - 2/5 - 3/4 ! ! !

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car is generally suffering from NEGLECT on the part of Toyota and most of its dealers. The ONLY "marketing tool" they may have working for them is US; that is a few dozen very well informed and satisfied owners talking (mostly among ourselves) on the Internet about the phenomenal RAV4 EV. But we cannot do much if anything more to help sell these cars. It is seldom true that ANYONE ever asks someone else for a recommendation on what new model car to buy, let alone asking an EV owner. Furthermore, the RAV4 EV is hardly a "flashy" car; actually it tends to blend into the woodwork. What's special about this car, is not what you see, but what you don't see! It's Tesla pedigree!

I definitely agree with the notion, the car will sell itself, just by taking a test drive. That certainly sold me! :mrgreen:

It should be noted that not all California Toyota dealers actually sell the Rav4 EV either. I live in Pleasanton and the nearby Dublin Toyota dealer doesn't. The Fremont Toyota dealer had several, as I've said. Well, they have one fewer today... one of their blue one's is sitting in my garage as of late last night :)

edmc said:
It should be noted that not all California Toyota dealers actually sell the Rav4 EV either. I live in Pleasanton and the nearby Dublin Toyota dealer doesn't. The Fremont Toyota dealer had several, as I've said. Well, they have one fewer today... one of their blue one's is sitting in my garage as of late last night :)

Welcome to the tiny club. Did you lease or buy?

Yes, there are only 55 dealers that sell this, and the overwhelming majority of them would probably prefer not to sell it (based on sales volume). Only a few dealers sell more than one or two, with just a handful of dealers selling more than that.

CONGRATS "edmc"!!! The blue is a particularly nice color, but when I got mine, there were no blues available from any South Bay dealers, so consider yourself luckier than me. Also, the deal you must of got would be INCREDIBLY better than mine as well!

Welcome to the club! :mrgreen:

TonyWilliams said:
Welcome to the tiny club. Did you lease or buy?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I bought. Besides the incredible $7K "rebate" from Toyota (subtracted after computing tax+license btw), the 36, 48, or 60 month 0% [simple interest] financing was just too good to pass up.

Hi all,

I am about to buy one of these in Northern California and have a few questions to those who have already bought one:
  • - How much is the dealer cost (or invoice) on these?
  • - What price have you been able to negotiate down while also using the $7000 bonus and 0% for 60 months financing?
Thanks, Kristian

I had one dealer claim there was about $1k in profit on it but that they were really anxious to sell them. Don't know how much of it was salesmanship and how much was fact though.

Love to hear what you negotiate as the deals seem to be getting better and better as Toyota desperately tries to sell them.

As hard as it may be to believe, I also heard that dealer "invoice" was only about a grand under MSRP. When you consider the amount paid by Toyota to Tesla for 2600 batteries and drivetrains, all manufactured by the latter, for a total cost reported to be 100 million, and do the math, each car's "guts" only costs AT LEAST $38,500! The rest of the car's parts/materials, manufacturing, assembly, and shipping costs could easily add up to close to another $10,000. So, the sales margin on these cars just may be very nearly nothing "if" actually sold at MSRP. It has been speculated that with the price incentives currently in place, Toyota is LOSING money on each and everyone of these cars big time! In terms of capitalist society, this is a very rare situation indeed. It seems like Toyota is having a an honest to GOD fire sale to deplete their inventory of these cars!

kwidjaja said:
Hi all,

I am about to buy one of these in Northern California and have a few questions to those who have already bought one:
  • - How much is the dealer cost (or invoice) on these?
  • - What price have you been able to negotiate down while also using the $7000 bonus and 0% for 60 months financing?
Thanks, Kristian

I just bought mine (a 2012 Rav4 EV Blizzard Pearl) two days ago at Folsom Lake Toyota in Folsom for $39,988 plus tax and license with 0% for 60 months, They've got another Silver Rav4 EV for the same price. Ask for Ben.

Bassman said:
I just bought mine (a 2012 Rav4 EV Blizzard Pearl) two days ago at Folsom Lake Toyota in Folsom for $39,988 plus tax and license with 0% for 60 months, They've got another Silver Rav4 EV for the same price. Ask for Ben.

So that's $7000 No Ca Toyota discount and $3000 dealer discount???

Can that even be right? How about anyone else? That's the best dealer discount I've heard this far.

Considering the 0% financing, you are really saving thousands more over the payback period of the loan. Most aggressive new car sales offer a discount "OR" low (or 0%) financing, but generally not both! PLUS, don't forget, in CA you get a $2500 rebate from the state AND a $7500 tax credit from Uncle Sam. It just don't get any better than this!!!

$50,845 should be $49,800 MSRP with $200 blizzard pearl and $845 destination charge
-$7,000 north California Toyota cash for their yummy 0% financing
-$3,857 dealer discount (the biggest one I've heard so far!!!!
$39,988 Woo Hoo!!!! Net sales price

-$7,500 federal tax credit (assumes you have at least $7500 fed taxes to pay)
-$2,500 state tax rebate (no qualifiers except must stay in California for 36 months)

$29,988 net price

Folks who are worried about the dealer invoice are just looking in the wrong place. If a dealer gets a back door incentive to move these cars, and offers you $2000 below their invoice pricing, you just say, "Thank you."

jeremymc7 said:
Bassman said:

So that's $7000 No Ca Toyota discount and $3000 dealer discount???

Can that even be right? How about anyone else? That's the best dealer discount I've heard this far.

The MSRP was $50,870. It is the pearl color which is more and has the cargo and floor mats. The discount was actually $3882. plus the factory $7,000 incentive. Add the 0% for 60 months, it was a no brainer.

Bassman said:
The MSRP was $50,870. It is the pearl color which is more and has the cargo and floor mats. The discount was actually $3882. plus the factory $7,000 incentive. Add the 0% for 60 months, it was a no brainer.

Wish I could find a So Cal dealer that would discount $3882!
:eek:

jeremymc7 said:
Bassman said:

What you are seeing in SoCal to compare?

Darren said:
jeremymc7 said:
Bassman said:

What you are seeing in SoCal to compare?

The best I've seen is $2901.

Who cares which dealer you buy from, just pick one an you'll get essentially $20,000 off the "regular" price to buy a phenomenal 100% electrified SUV with terrific range. No negotiating required, AND you get 5 years to pay back a "free" loan! As I said in my previous post, it just don't get any better! Unless for some reason you just don't really like the RAV4 EV. In which case you can buy a new Prius or a Leaf or a VOLT, or . . . , but I seriously doubt any other EV can be bought for LESS!

There are many of us here that got royally BURNED buying this car during the first few months after it first came out. We had to pay "sticker", or very close to it, rec'd no discounts, financed at 1.9% and could of bought almost any other EV (except a Model S or Karma Fisker) for a lot LESS! We all, however, did get the federal tax credit and 2500 bucks from CA, which everybody still gets in 2013.

Talk about "buyer's remorse"!!! :cry:

The rebate for Northern California dealer is now $8800! I work for Toyota Sunnyvale would gladly assist anyone that might have any questions. PM for details.

Ronstoppable1 said:
The rebate for Northern California dealer is now $8800! I work for Toyota Sunnyvale would gladly assist anyone that might have any questions. PM for details.

Again, not the dealers, but Toyota. Also, it's $10,000 in SoCal, plus 0% financing for 60 months, plus $7500 fed tax credit and $2500 state rebate.

What's your DEALERSHIP discount?

TonyWilliams said:
Ronstoppable1 said:

Again, not the dealers, but Toyota. Also, it's $10,000 in SoCal, plus 0% financing for 60 months, plus $7500 fed tax credit and $2500 state rebate.

What's your DEALERSHIP discount?

Ron probably can't answer that, but having just bought one at Toyota Sunnyvale 2 days ago, I can tell you it was $2000 for us up front (they hinted that it might have been a little extra because it was the last day of the month (also, we bought a Prius there just 5 months ago)). So, $10,800 total discount from the sticker price of $51,090. Dsinned is right, it doesn't get any better than this; definitely under cost for Toyota and probably not much profit for the dealer (google is now showing invoice as ~$2400 under invoice FWIW). We also took advantage of 0% for 60 months (a first for us).

Toyota is obviously selling these cars just to meet CA CARB requirements and are using them as a loss leader to sell more Priuses (from the little I've read, Toyota doesn't really seem to believe in EVs). The Tesla components are what make this a very good deal from the customer perspective (partially proven technology that will very likely have support over the life of the vehicles).

Many thanks to you, Tony and also to Dsinned for all your posts. I've learned a lot already. One of my good friends who is a Leaf owner -- for 2 years now -- hinted that Tesla was using commodity Lithium ion cells (which he considers a superior engineering solution), but little did I guess that they were AA batteries that I can also buy for my flashlight ;)

Back