ALL POSTS about Charge Timer Failure

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised that my RAV4-EV timer charged yesterday (a 31st of a month).

After getting the TSB 0050-13 Rev 2 (1.3.62) update on our RAV4 in early October, we haven't missed a single charge, despite using the built-in scheduled charge function nightly - including successful charges both October 31st and last night.

My RAV4 EV didn't change this morning. This the my first failure since the .83 update. Had four bars and 30 miles on the GOM when plugged in.

Failed on that date for me as well. Had a 66 mile round trip planned with only 57 range on the GOM. Braved it anyways. Came up a few miles short on way home and stopped at a friends house with the 120V charger for an hour. Got home in turtle mode. Fun times.

My 2014 has not failed yet. Although I have observed the time and date indicated wrong on the temporary display as the vehicle is turned off. Time/date reads with zeros. I restarted and turned off and the display was corrected. Seems like there is a periodic time continuum glitch.

riderbike37 said:
What are people's experiences with the 2014 model year . . . . and how would I check my firmware version?
I'd venture to say there are "no differences" between all model years with respect to computer stuff. Unless, Tesla's Gateway ECU can be interrogated via its OBD-II port by a typical scanner tool, I do not know of any way to verify which version of firmware it has. The dealers are suppose to place a "Calibration ID) sticker under the hood after each firmware update, but good luck with that. Conversely, the center console's NAV firmware can be easily verified from the command menus, although precisely what is the latest version is debatable. Some say, VB305200 and others say, VB305150.

About two weeks ago, I asked my dealer to specifically update both firmware versions and wound up with Tesla Gateway ECU V1.3.83 (according to the sticker) and Toyota VB305150 (unchanged).

It was a 31st day last night and my car failed to charge again. Luckily, we're keyed in on this now so we check the car first thing when we wake up and can get enough juice into her before leaving for the day.

We did just get the latest Tesla firmware a couple weeks ago so that didn't solve it - EV Gateway Control (Tesla Firmware): 1.3.83

Waiting on the dealership to get the right hardware to flash our NAV to Navigation Firmware: VB503200 (we're currently on VB503150)

Thanks for the update and please keep us posted on any futher firmware changes. I have all but "given up" on Toyota (or Tesla) to resolve all these RAV4 charger problems thanks to RAVCharger.

TeCKis300 said:
It was a 31st day last night and my car failed to charge again. Luckily, we're keyed in on this now so we check the car first thing when we wake up and can get enough juice into her before leaving for the day.

We did just get the latest Tesla firmware a couple weeks ago so that didn't solve it - EV Gateway Control (Tesla Firmware): 1.3.83

Waiting on the dealership to get the right hardware to flash our NAV to Navigation Firmware: VB503200 (we're currently on VB503150)
Was it the morning of the 31st or this morning on the 1st when it failed?
What was the charge start time given AFTER plugging in?

Failed this morning of the 1st.

It's my wife's car and she likely didn't notice the charge start time given. Not sure it helps, but we have it set to complete at 6AM across the board. This has been an ongoing issue for us since we purchased the car 1.5 yrs ago.

TeCKis300 said:

It's my wife's car and she likely didn't notice the charge start time given. Not sure it helps, but we have it set to complete at 6AM across the board. This has been an ongoing issue for us since we purchased the car 1.5 yrs ago.

I just posted in another thread thinking that my charge worked, but the scheduler kicked in after midnight on the 1st, and not the 31st. Does this make a difference?

TeCKis300 said:

IIRC mine seemed to lose the time constant and I think it was a night of the 31st. It said time 00:00 date 01/01/01 or some nonsense.
I restarted the car and turned off again and the clock and charge start was back to normal. Car was charged in the morning.

I tend to check my actual start time frequently to make sure charging starts after midnight for lowest electric rates.
I have a 30a EVSE and if I am at ~30% battery or less I need to adjust the departure time to delay the start.
And lately I don't charge much at home due to EVSE installed at work recently.

I want to make a point of testing Aug 31/Sept 1. Maybe there is an easy work around or indication it will fail.

TeCKis300 said:

Sorry to hear about your charging failure - that sucks. I'm not sure what the explanation could be since you have the latest firmware update. Our car charged overnight on its schedule with no problem (and we have the same firmware version as you), so there must be something else causing certain cars to fail while others don't have a problem. Very strange...

I guess just try to remember to select "charge immediately" after getting home on the 31st of any month!

I also thought mine failed on the 31st. However, my car actually did charge, but the notification e-mails went to my Gmail spam folder, so they didn't show up on my phone. I have the car using a dedicated e-mail account that I only access from my phone, so I never log in to Gmail on a web browser. I had to do that to discover the problem. My car has not failed to charge on the 31st since I got a firmware update around October 2013.

Khaihon said:
TeCKis300 said:

I just posted in another thread thinking that my charge worked, but the scheduler kicked in after midnight on the 1st, and not the 31st. Does this make a difference?
Yes, it's charges scheduled (by the car) to start on the 31st that will fail, from what I've seen.

Back