ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My motor noise is most noticeable at 25-45 mph at low throttle, so it's definitely not VPNS. Mine actually sounds more like ICE alternator whine coming through the stereo, but it's not.

Well, I hate to say it, but my motor has gotten so loud that its really annoying me at speeds from about 40 to 65 mph - plus I saw the dreaded EV malfunction screen on my dash today, and it took 3 or 4 restarts to clear it - Guess I'll be calling Walnut Creek to see if they can schedule me in - I wonder if I should try the Berkeley dealer again -

We have had the motor humming. It has gotten worse , so we brought it in ( 35, 700 miles, so )

They are initially saying trans axle is bad, that is part of the electric motor assembly correct?

i guess we will know more soon. I thought for sure they would give us the car back and order the parts, but they kept it. The service guy seemed to think the parts were more available now and it would just be a few days.

Can you guys that have had the low speed motor whine, and have had you motors replaced provide me with your VIN #? -

background - Just finished with an ECU gateway, and charger cooling core change to fix the car dying during charging, and not wanting to start occasionally.
Those issues have gone away (for now at least), but I have had a slow increase int he motor whine noise in the past couple of months to the point that it considerably noticeable at about 30 MPH, and the only way to get rid of the noise is to turn up the radio.

The first time I asked Toyota to fix it, they had to wait for Toyota head quarters to come and drive the car ... they did, and told me it was within spec... What does than mean ? And because the ECU gateway was replaced, let drive it for while, and see if that will take care of it.

I drove it for a few weeks, and the noise got louder ... I took it in again, and again I had to wait for Toyota head quarters to come down to verify the noise, and authorize a trans axle change .. Even though the technician clearly documented the noise. A recording was made as well ..

Yesterday, I was told that the Toyota head engineer did not authorize the trans axle change, and it was within spec .... WTF ? when I got the car it was whisper quiet, and now it sounds like a rusty bearing that needs a good grease job ..

I asked them for a baseline spec that they are comparing the noise to, because no were in the owner's manual, does it state that this motor will get louder over time ... And there is no such guideline ...

To my dealer's defense, they are trying to help, and at this point, I'm pretty sure the head Toyota guy is Tesla, and they are trying to avoid fixing their crappy drive system .... So, he asked me to get some VIN numbers that had the motor whine, and had their motors replaced, so that he could pursue other means to fix this problem for me.

So, I need the Forum's help, as I think the more VIN's I can provide, the easier it will be for my dealer to fight Tesla ...

I'm in the same situation. It's not so loud that it's really bugging me yet. I'm not in a hurry so I'm waiting to see what happens with the recall before I ask for them to do something about the noise. I am almost due for the 20k ToyotaCare, so I'll ask them to look into the "clunk" which may be loose CV joint bolts.

The best data for who has had what done on their car is in the thread Owners list and their vins so you should really look there.

rayray said:
Can you guys that have had the low speed motor whine, and have had you motors replaced provide me with your VIN #? -

The first time I asked Toyota to fix it, they had to wait for Toyota head quarters to come and drive the car ... they did, and told me it was within spec... What does than mean ?

Same here,
I have 2 rav's one is dead silent (only 2k miles on it) and the other one gets louder and louder (13k miles, started at 2500 miles)

I actually went to 2 different dealers (carson & dch oxnard) and both can not/refuse to answer.
I had 2 people of toyota take a test ride, they recorded video/audio with their phone.
They verbally agreed to replace it and next morning I call to make appointment and they cancelled: "withing spec"
That probably means they sent the video to Tesla and they denied the claim.
I just wish Toyota was upfront about what it happening.

This is my first Toyota, and I don't think I will ever get another one! This is the way NOT to earn customer loyalty.

I asked them for a baseline spec that they are comparing the noise to, because no were in the owner's manual, does it state that this motor will get louder over time ... And there is no such guideline ...

Problem is, a limited milage BEV doesn't drive many miles on the hiway, with windows closed.
I do about 1500 miles a month mostly with open windows because it is such nice weather here in socal.
And that noise really starts to drive me mad!

he asked me to get some VIN numbers that had the motor whine, and had their motors replaced, so that he could pursue other means to fix this problem for me.
This is one including case number:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1516&start=10

So, I need the Forum's help, as I think the more VIN's I can provide, the easier it will be for my dealer to fight Tesla ...

The dealers (imho) don't want to fight Tesla.
They really don't care (imho)

I am currently making my own (audio) recordings and open a case with Toyota directly.

TonyWilliams said:
Did you go to Carlsbad Toyota?

Keziah Benson <kbenson ((( @ ))) toyotacarlsbad.com>

She has replaced two of my motors.

142 miles from my home to the dealer :-(

The warranty has some life left. May as well get a replacement closer to the end of warranty.
If the reduction gear is defective it should continue to get worse.

smkettner said:
The warranty has some life left. May as well get a replacement closer to the end of warranty.
If the reduction gear is defective it should continue to get worse.

There's not a single known instance of a catastrophic failure of the final drive assembly, even with all the gear noise. It just gets louder and louder until they replace it.

My 2012 vin# 1099 just started howling at around 13k miles I have 16k now and it is getting louder, taking it in on Tuesday.
Wish me luck I'm going to need it...

Airton said:
My 2012 vin# 1099 just started howling at around 13k miles I have 16k now and it is getting louder, taking it in on Tuesday.
Wish me luck I'm going to need it...

Keep us posted, which dealer are you taking it to ?

They gave us our car back. said another two weeks for the part, and it was deemed safe to drive. Vin #1426

I called Toyota customer relations, and I was flabbergasted of how much of jerks they were to me. They basically said there is nothing they can do, and I should go to the dealer, and have them resolve it.
I then told her that the dealer agrees with me, can hear the noise, and wants the traction assemble replaced, and it's the Toyota field technicians that will not let them.

I asked her who do the field technicians work for, and I got it of her that they are employed by Toyota, so I really don't think Tesla is goign around and denying motor replacements.

I also asked her for contact information for the filed technicians to send correspondents to be provided with the fantasy "noise is within spec" baseline, and she told me, to send it directly to Toyota....

This will be my first and last Toyota ever ....

fromport said:
rayray said:

The first time I asked Toyota to fix it, they had to wait for Toyota head quarters to come and drive the car ... they did, and told me it was within spec... What does than mean ?

Same here,
I have 2 rav's one is dead silent (only 2k miles on it) and the other one gets louder and louder (13k miles, started at 2500 miles)

I actually went to 2 different dealers (carson & dch oxnard) and both can not/refuse to answer.
I had 2 people of toyota take a test ride, they recorded video/audio with their phone.
They verbally agreed to replace it and next morning I call to make appointment and they cancelled: "withing spec"
That probably means they sent the video to Tesla and they denied the claim.
I just wish Toyota was upfront about what it happening.

This is my first Toyota, and I don't think I will ever get another one! This is the way NOT to earn customer loyalty.

Problem is, a limited milage BEV doesn't drive many miles on the hiway, with windows closed.
I do about 1500 miles a month mostly with open windows because it is such nice weather here in socal.
And that noise really starts to drive me mad!

he asked me to get some VIN numbers that had the motor whine, and had their motors replaced, so that he could pursue other means to fix this problem for me.
This is one including case number:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1516&start=10

The dealers (imho) don't want to fight Tesla.
They really don't care (imho)

I am currently making my own (audio) recordings and open a case with Toyota directly.

davewill said:
There's got to be a process in place for appealing such decisions. I suspect that Tony Williams would know the right contact.

What if all people with the wining noise join forces and compose a formal complaint towards Toyota about being insulted by their "service" and also provide them with a list of vin numbers of cars that had their drivetrain replaced for the same reason (as far as we can track them) ?
Would that help ?

I just drove a colleagues car, and it is whisper quiet.
He bought his only a week after mine.

I'm going to record his car at 35MPH, and then record mine at 35MPH, and take it to another dealer, and tell them how this is within spec ?

After that ... It will be a legal fight, or wait another year, and dump the POS, and get a kia EV, while I wait for the Model 3 . or Sooner if I can swap the $2500 CA credit (not apply for one, or pay them, and then apply for the new one ... Donno - but now I know why I never wanted to own a Toyota ..

Back