ALL POSTS-No Motor Power/Power Steering, turned off on road

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kermit said:
I just purchased a used Rav4 ev with 4500 miles from CA and had it shipped to Lakewood CO.
Just wondering if you found a dealer to do basic maintenance in Denver area like the 5000 mile checkup?
Thanks

Just buy a gallon of G48 coolant from your local BMW dealer (where my local Tesla service center gets it from) to keep for topping off the Blueish Green fluid reservoir.

and the pink stuff if you should need it is Toyota Genuine Fluid 00272-SLLC2 Long Life Coolant.

the yellow is brake fluid.

you will probably have to pay (like I did) for the tire rotation, Best of luck with your Rav4 EV!

$30,000 After the $6,000 CO incentive the final price $24,000
TonyWilliams said:
kermit said:
I just purchased a used Rav4 ev with 4500 miles from CA and had it shipped to Lakewood CO.
Just wondering if you found a dealer to do basic maintenance in Denver area like the 5000 mile checkup?
Thanks

What did you pay for it?

kermit said:
$30,000 After the $6,000 CO incentive the final price $24,000
TonyWilliams said:
kermit said:
Thanks

What did you pay for it?

Colorado has an incentive on used cars?

Just so it never been registered in CO
Credits for EVs and PHEVs in Category 1 are equal to the actual cost incurred to purchase or lease the vehicle, multiplied by the battery capacity, and divided by 100. That amount must be multiplied by a factor to determine the credit amount, as follows: 1.0 for 2013-2018, 0.75 for 2019, 0.50 for 2020, and 0.25 for 2021.

The credit is capped at $6,000 for the following: OEM or converted AFVs, HEVs, PHEVs, idle reduction technologies, and power source replacements. The credit for PHEV conversions is capped at $7,500 until January 1, 2014, and $6,000 thereafter. A person who claimed a tax credit in previous years for the purchase or lease of Model Year 2004 and newer HEV may claim an additional credit for the conversion of the same vehicle to a PHEV. The purchase of a used vehicle may qualify if the vehicle was not previously registered in Colorado.[/b] [/b]Credits may not be carried forward and a taxpayer will receive a refund for the excess credit.

danhsu said:
I read all the Forum, missed the most important one.. i was going to get the car, but now I don't feel safe especially I got a 2yr old kid.

Dianne, can you get any information if that's been solved with the 2014 line?

Same question, but for any 2014-model-year owners - has this happened to anyone with the 2014 model?

I was just driving on the freeway and I received the "Power Steering" problem, can't remember the exact word and then flashing to take the car to a dealer now coupled with the car being put in neutral. I managed to roll off the freeway and ended up on a side street parked. I had three kids i the car. Toyota had the car towed to the local Toyota dealership. Does anyone know what the problem is and how long it takes to repair?

RAV4Elly said:
I was just driving on the freeway and I received the "Power Steering" problem, can't remember the exact word and then flashing to take the car to a dealer now coupled with the car being put in neutral. I managed to roll off the freeway and ended up on a side street parked. I had three kids i the car. Toyota had the car towed to the local Toyota dealership. Does anyone know what the problem is and how long it takes to repair?

Sorry to hear that. Did you try to turn off and on the car to try to clear the fault? Were you ever able to get it to go in drive again? The fuses to the power steering motor could have blown, but more than likely the gateway ECU dropped communications with the Toyota ECU. One time when my car had the Check EV error pop up, it also showed the Power Steering error, but that's because whatever caused the Check EV error caused the main contactors to open, therefore dropping power to the power steering motor, hence that error as well.

Kohler Controller said:
RAV4Elly said:

Sorry to hear that. Did you try to turn off and on the car to try to clear the fault? Were you ever able to get it to go in drive again? The fuses to the power steering motor could have blown, but more than likely the gateway ECU dropped communications with the Toyota ECU. One time when my car had the Check EV error pop up, it also showed the Power Steering error, but that's because whatever caused the Check EV error caused the main contactors to open, therefore dropping power to the power steering motor, hence that error as well.

My experience was that it took a week to get the problem diagnosed and 3 weeks to get the part. This seems to happen quite frequently so maybe they're getting faster at fixing it. But I would be prepared for a long wait. Sorry :-(

The dealership Hamer Toyota, called me his afternoon and stated that the car had a code that required Toyota so they had to wait until Monday to hear from Toyota what to do. I will continue to update everyone here. Hopefully Toyota is improving. I did turn the car on and off and the screen stated take the car to the dealer.

RAV4Elly said:
I did turn the car on and off and the screen stated take the car to the dealer.
There is a specific procedure that can clear some errors if the cause of the error is no longer present. Clearly, based on your description, your situation has a persistent fault and would not have been helped with this procedure.
Code:
1. IG ON (press the "Start" button 2 times with foot OFF the brake pedal).
2. Wait 10 seconds for the system to complete the start-up check to look for existing errors.
3. IG OFF (press the "Start" button 1 time with foot OFF the brake pedal).
4. Wait 1 second.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4, four times.  The warning message may no longer be displayed.
This was taken from Toyota Tech Tip T-TT-0206-12 "EV Charging Station Incompatibility - 'Check EV System' Message"

Thanks for this. I probably should have checked here before having it towed. I will find out the code tomorrow.

Bought my RAV 6 months ago. Have had the Gateway ECU replaced after 2 months and thought the nightmare of the error message and being stranded was over. Had the 5,000 mile service 3 weeks ago which updated to the latest firmware and today while driving out of my driveway the car lost power, steering was very hard to control And the error message check power steering system came on. Luckily I was not on my 40 mile commute on the freeway. The only good thing about this EV experience so far as a first time EV owner has been Dianne and the techs at Carson. ( and, oK not going to the gas station). But I have had it. I can't have a car that at best I cannot count on ( a d have to keep taking time off work)and at worst is unsafe when the power cuts out. Now I need to see how I can get it towed from San Diego to Carson since the techs at Carson are the only ones that seem to know what they are doing. Has anyone attempted ( or been successful) at breaking their lease based on these continuous problems? Maybe a Prius hybrid would be better so at least I am not stranded or worried about safety every time I drive the car.

aboxer said:
Bought my RAV 6 months ago. Have had the Gateway ECU replaced after 2 months and thought the nightmare of the error message and being stranded was over. Had the 5,000 mile service 3 weeks ago which updated to the latest firmware and today while driving out of my driveway the car lost power, steering was very hard to control And the error message check power steering system came on. Luckily I was not on my 40 mile commute on the freeway. The only good thing about this EV experience so far as a first time EV owner has been Dianne and the techs at Carson. ( and, oK not going to the gas station). But I have had it. I can't have a car that at best I cannot count on ( a d have to keep taking time off work)and at worst is unsafe when the power cuts out. Now I need to see how I can get it towed from San Diego to Carson since the techs at Carson are the only ones that seem to know what they are doing. Has anyone attempted ( or been successful) at breaking their lease based on these continuous problems? Maybe a Prius hybrid would be better so at least I am not stranded or worried about safety every time I drive the car.

I opened a case with Toyota National Support when mine went down and once the car was fixed, they offered me some $ compensation. They told me if I did not accept it, they would send it up to the next level, which could include replacing the car or buying it back from me. I would suggest you open a case with them and tell them right off the bat that you will not accept any compensation and you want them to buy back your car. It may not work but it's worth the try. That's what I plan on doing if mine goes down again.

Can you give me the name and contact info for Toyota Support? I know it's posted somewhere on one of these threads but if you have it at hand it would save the search. Thanks.

aboxer said:
Can you give me the name and contact info for Toyota Support? I know it's posted somewhere on one of these threads but if you have it at hand it would save the search. Thanks.

Try 800-331-4331 or http://www.toyota.com/support/contact.html

aboxer said:
For those who have experienced this while the vehicle's in motion, have you filed safety complaints w/NHTSA? See http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10868&f=2#p10868.

Where possible, I'd suggest doing this after the issue after the repair has been completed, so that you can see what they did as a remedy.

I picked up my car last week. They updated the firmware from 896B34201300 to 896B59201500. The care is driving well now. The new firmware is much better. The code they cleared was DTC BMS-W023.

Towed my car up to Carson after getting check power steering system and steering and power going out. Because I " recycled" through the multiple start cycle I am being told that no error codes are retrievable from the computers. When I previously had the " check EV warning" screen of death , that's exactly what I was told to do. That time they seemed to get all the data they needed to determine they needed to replace my ECU. So all of you guys who know a lot more about this than me.....can going through the start up ( as described in this thread and others) really wipe out the codes that they need to diagnose a problem? It does not make sense to me since on any other computer, you don't really delete things from the hard drive. In addition, I seem to remember in the paperwork when I bought this, there was a disclaimer that they would be collecting data from our computers on our cars. Luckily, I took a picture of the screen when it happened but they tell me that is not enough proof for Toyota to do anything. The suggestion was drive it until it happens again then tow it. I left my car because frankly I am now worried and stressed every time I drive this car on my 80 mile commute on roads with no shoulders ....if the steering and power go out on these roads it's not going to be good. The techs are now going to see if they can reproduce the problem by driving it. What are the chances? Sounds like Russian Roulette to me. I am going to look for the lemon law thread! Thanks for any advice.

aboxer said:
.....can going through the start up ( as described in this thread and others) really wipe out the codes that they need to diagnose a problem?

I haven't had the Check EV System error yet, so I can't answer this from personal experience. This sounds like a lot of horse hooey to me though - I think others have reported that codes are saved after these errors.

Best of luck in getting this resolved, and please continue to post your experiences.

Back