Alright, Im ready to buy or take over lease your Rav4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget about trying to lease from CA. You are in for too many headaches.

Your only choice is to buy (used or new).

It's a matter of supply and demand. In CA the majority of people lease due to the incentives (on the RAV4 EV). If you are buying then there is some circumstance that puts you in a different pool of people (e.g. out of state).

There are few used RAV4 EV's on the market, and it is unlikely a person from CA will buy one. They will go out-of-state, and therefore there doesn't need to be a logical connection between the effective lease cost and the prices of a used one. No one has had one 3 years yet, so anyone selling is going to have to refund part of their CVRP rebate.

Just keep an eye out for the used ones. Maybe when the RAV4 EV program sells out some of the dealers will have demo cars they are looking to sell that they can't sell or lease as new.

I don't know what Toyota will do once the EV's start moving throughout the states, but if you need service you are better off with a used one (than some weird lease arrangement). People do move from state to state. :)

miimura said:
Toyota will run your credit when you apply for the lease. If they don't find any California addresses attached to other entries in your credit files, they will probably turn you down. If you want to get the CVRP rebate you must keep the car registered in CA for the full 3 years. My first renewal was $377 because it includes $287 for California's Vehicle License Fee which is a form of personal property tax. This is based on the State's estimate of the value of the car.

I just paid mine, $361

I don't recommend this, but in theory one could do this. Lease a brand new one, REGISTER and INSURE it in California. Toyota gets their CARBS credit, California gets their taxes on the lease cash. Bring it back to NY, change the address back to NY in a month or two in order to not break any NY state rules. I do have to say it could get tricky as re-registering requires Toyota's approval). If they don't, you can always just say screw you and payoff the car and take title of the car. This will cost you more than buying any used ones, but it is new. DO NOT TAKE THE CA cash, it's fraud and too easy to get busted and it isn't right.

Figure RAV4=$50K-$16500 lease cash=$33500
CA tax (9%) + $1000 misc fees = $3K
One or two months of insurance in CA

A used one will probably cost you around $33K to 35K. My wife would only let me sell this at 33500, she loves the car too much. Sorry. It's probably more than what you want to spend.

Or you can buy out my Leaf, I will let you have the RAV4 cheaper :)

I bought one! Well, I leased it but I plan on buying it in the end.

I am getting #3364. Its blue and its the newest one the dealer had on the lot.

I cant wait!!

Back