Am I stupid?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldman

I just got a 40amp Leviton charger station installed and a separate meter so that I can take advantage of PG&E off peak 10 cent per kwh rate. But I cannot figure out how to set the charge time so it goes on after 11:30Pm. I read the user guide and the other materials and could not find a way to stop the charger from charging immediately on plug-in. I found how to set the time for departure but that apparently has nothing to do with setting a delay for the charger to begin. Help please!

oldman said:
I just got a 40amp Leviton charger station installed and a separate meter so that I can take advantage of PG&E off peak 10 cent per kwh rate. But I cannot figure out how to set the charge time so it goes on after 11:30Pm. I read the user guide and the other materials and could not find a way to stop the charger from charging immediately on plug-in. I found how to set the time for departure but that apparently has nothing to do with setting a delay for the charger to begin. Help please!

If you can't figure it out from the book, I recommend a quick trip to the dealer to show you.

oldman said:

Go to settings.
You need to select " charge by departure Time"
Try setting 6 or 7 am and the car will charge close to your 11:30p, target.

To know that you have successfully set this up...
Here's how,
After turning the car off, look at the navigation screen

There are two options at the lowest part of the screen
LEFT : charge immediately RIGHT : charge by departure time

The charge by departure time should be highlighted. ( there's a small red/orange vertical light)

Double check your PG&E rate plan. For TOU the times are as listed except for a week around PST/pdt time change. It may be safer to start an hour later.

Can you give more info on your second meter install?

Lots of misinformation in this thread.

When you turn off the car after having set up a charging schedule, there will be two buttons at the bottom of the multimedia screen: Charge Immediately, and Extended Charge. There is not a Charge By Departure Time button. If you want the next charge to be a standard charge from the charge timer, and not immediate, make sure *neither* button is highlighted after you turn off the car.

(Note that the RAV4 EV often still makes charging noises for a minute after you plug in no matter what. Watch the lights above the charge port: if it blinks the left then right lights back and forth, that means that it will wait until the charge timer to charge. It's only charging if it's blinking the left light with no right light, or has a solid left light with a blinking right light.)

If there are not two buttons at the bottom of the multimedia display when you turn off the car, and there is just an Extended Charge button, that means that your charging schedule did not get saved. If so, go back into the EV menu, select Charging & Pre-climate setup, touch the button with the battery, plug and arrow to display the "My Departure Schedule", touch "Schedule Setup", and then set the timers for each day, being sure to press Add for any time you set on any day. Once you're done, press the back arrow until you're back to the My Departure Schedule screen, and be sure to click on Save there. If you're still having trouble with it after that, you may want to go to the dealer.

On Schedule EV (both EV-A and EV-B), the lowest rates are between 11pm - 7am Monday through Friday and any time on Saturday and Sunday except 3pm - 7pm. However, for the period between the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in April as well as the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in November, those times will all be one hour later as PG&E adjusts for daylight savings time.

With a 40A Leviton EVSE, if you set the charge schedule for a departure time of 6:45AM every day, you will always get a full charge during the periods with the lowest rates.

With a 40A Leviton EVSE, if you set the charge schedule for a departure time of 6:45AM every day, you will always get a full charge during the periods with the lowest rates.

Note: i plugged my car in turtle mode (first time i'd ever gotten there) last night into my leviton 40A EVSE here at my house in the mountains and the "time to charge" for an extended charge was 6hrs and 34 min and for "standard mode" was 5 hr and 12 min.

Since i'd driven almost a mile in turtle before doing this... I'm betting thats the lowest charge state you'd ever get to... :)

However the schedule timer is fairly conservative. I would watch the exact time you start up but i'd *expect* it to start no earlier than about 8 hours before your departure time based on what i've seen before. When i use schedule (which isnt that often) i notice it tends to be done 1-2 hours before your *actual* departure time.

Also it knows your state-of-charge so it wont start 8 hours earlier if you only need half-a-charge etc. it'll start later.

Details on that charge:
- it said it would take 5hr 12 min to "standard" (85%) level and 6hr 34 min to "extended" level
- it actually took 4hr 31 min.
- it used 41.76 KWH (i have real time metering because i also have solar here)
- the state-of-charge of the battery increased by (i'm assuming) almost the entire capacity of 35.0 KWH at "standard" level
- which would mean the watts-in to watts-in-battery ratio (efficiency) would be 83.8%
- my car has 10500 miles on it and i've been driving it 9 months, so i think there's probably not *much* battery degredation yet.

save yourself grief, sign up for ravcharge.com, and use your phone to setup your charging times.

n3ckf, great info.

If you ever get that low again, please charge using the extended charge setting to see what the total input kwh would be. Also provide the ambient temperature during both the discharge and charge times.

Thanks

oldman said:
The car doesn't let you set a time to start charging, only a departure time - and the way it calculates when to start charging based on that time is really weird. If you want a simple way to start charging when you want, sign up for RavCharge.

I second the motion on Ravcharger . . . but don't forget to set the schedule in the car for your departure time the next morning a few hours later . Depending on the SoC before the charge takes place, this is so the car does not try to initiate the charge before the time you set in Ravcharger.

Back