Any list of >30 Amp L2 in SoCal?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VQ EV

My 33 month old leaf has QC but only a range ~55mi (yesterday 100% charge 41 mile trip with 8 left on GOM). My Rav4 EV is good for ~130 miles with my driving style. Knowing where high current L2 are located would help decide which car is best for trips from San Diego to various parts of LA etc. Last week I went to Big Bear and rented a car because charging didn't look reasonable for either car (I know it would have been possible with either).

I also have Tony's UMS upgrade so a future list of 50 amp 240V plug locations would be great.

VQ EV said:
My 33 month old leaf has QC but only a range ~55mi (yesterday 100% charge 41 mile trip with 8 left on GOM). My Rav4 EV is good for ~130 miles with my driving style. Knowing where high current L2 are located would help decide which car is best for trips from San Diego to various parts of LA etc. Last week I went to Big Bear and rented a car because charging didn't look reasonable for either car (I know it would have been possible with either).

I also have Tony's UMC upgrade so a future list of 50 amp 240V plug locations would be great.

For SoCal, the closest 70 amp J1772 is Rabobank in Goleta (Santa Barbara). If you have the Roadster adaptor ($650 plus modification to J1772), there are some of those, also.

For NEMA 14-50 at campgrounds, I use an app call "AllStays" and filter it for just 14-50's. Works well!

Otherwise, I would use PlugShare to find friendly Tesla owners who might have a 14-50 at their house.

A listing of 30 Amp L2 EVSE's would be helpful. My recent trip to San Diego revealed that many of the Blink EVSE's have been castrated to something like 20 or 15 Amps. The only 30 Amp I found was at Stone Brewery, It is free but it is hard to spend time at a brewery and not drink a few beers. Then you will have to call a cab, stay in a motel and take a cab back to your car which has filled up for free. LOL

Virtually all public charge stations are 30 amps. Even the old inductive "EV-1" units, and the conductive "AVCON" units used on the Ford Ranger Electrics.

The only difference is most are 208 volt and some are 240 volt.

The exceptions are, of course, the Blink units which were downgraded to 17 amps and the Tesla branded Clipper Creek units that are 70 amps.

Back