Auto Door Locking When Shifting Into and Out of PARK

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GornCaptain

Anyone know how to set it so the doors lock automatically when shifting out of Park, and then again unlock automatically when shifting back into Park? The dealer said it was in the manual, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Thanks!

I was looking for this as well and cant seem to find it. I was happy that I was able to reprogram the remote to unlock all doors instead of just the driver.

I like the way the remote works by default - first press unlocks driver's door, second press unlocks all doors. That's the way all my other cars have worked.

miimura said:
I like the way the remote works by default - first press unlocks driver's door, second press unlocks all doors. That's the way all my other cars have worked.

I was referring to not touching the key fob, just touching a door. Default it only does drivers door, I wanted it to unlock them all. Had to do some button holding on the fob and it now unlocks them all.

BSki said:
miimura said:
I was referring to not touching the key fob, just touching a door. Default it only does drivers door, I wanted it to unlock them all. Had to do some button holding on the fob and it now unlocks them all.
OK. Your use of the word "remote" threw me off. I usually approach from the back, so if I want to unlock all, I just touch the tailgate handle first. The tailgate and the front passenger door default to unlock all - which I also like.

The procedure is in the owners manual. I think the dealer can also set it with their fancy machine that can also change the reverse beep to just one, etc.

Automatic Locking and Unlocking Modes

Mode 1 links the automatic locking (only) of the doors with the shift position. When all the doors are closed and the key is in the "On" position, moving the shift lever out of park will automatically lock all doors.

Mode 2 cancels the automatic locking and unlocking function so that they do not operate at any time.

Mode 3 links the automatic locking and unlocking of the doors with the shift position. When all the doors are closed and the key is in the "On" position, moving the shift lever out of "Park" will automatically lock all doors. When the shift lever is moved back into "Park" all of the doors are automatically unlocked.

Mode 4 links the automatic locking and unlocking of the doors with the shift and key positions. When all the doors are closed and the key is in the "On" position, moving the shift lever out of "Park" will automatically lock all doors. When the shift lever is moved back into "Park" and the key is turned off, all of the doors are automatically unlocked.

Changing the Mode

1. Set the dome light control knob to the "door" position.

2. Be sure the shift lever is in "Park" and close all doors.

3. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the "On" position.

4. Within five seconds after the key is turned "On," push and hold the driver's side power door lock switch for about five seconds.

5. The dome light will flash to indicate the mode that is active. One flash indicates mode 1, two flashes mode 2, three flashes mode 3, and four flashes mode 4. To change to the mode, push the lock switch until the light flashes to indicate that the desired mode is active.

Read more: How to Change the Door Lock Sequence on a Toyota | eHow http://www.ehow.com/how_5640027_change-door-lock-sequence-toyota.html#ixzz2SkoWbBNV

Philly RAV4 EV said:
I tried to change the door locks following the procedure it does not work.
Am I missing something here?

Didn't work for me either. I'm probably gonna take it into the dealership and make them fix it.

GornCaptain said:
Philly RAV4 EV said:
I tried to change the door locks following the procedure it does not work.
Am I missing something here?

Didn't work for me either. I'm probably gonna take it into the dealership and make them fix it.

I know that I did it from the owner's manual directions!!

If something works, please come back with correct instructions.

I have also tried this following the directions given. Did Not work. of course then there is no "Key" to put in the "ignition" either which further made me suspect.
I also ,couldn't find it in the manual. assuming then the only way to change this is to go to dealer.
if anyone has done this feat...share pls ;)

^^^
I don't know anything about those directions but in some cases, I'd substitute "Insert the ignition key and turn it to the "On" position." with pushing power 2 times w/o your foot on the brake to go into IG-ON mode (as opposed to ACC, READY or OFF/LOCK).

I've never seen such directions before and believe some Toyotas don't even have the ability to auto lock/unlock when going into/out of park. On some Toyotas, you have to use Toyota Techstream to change the settings. On others (e.g. the defunct Lexus HS w/nav), you can do via it the touchscreen.

I posted pics of some of the possible settings on the Lexus HS at http://priuschat.com/threads/lexus-hs-250h-customizations-if-equipped-w-nav.90972/. Direct link to pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/105684180251177299188/LexusHS250hMFD?authkey=Gv1sRgCMKprqrCtpKdBQ&feat=directlink.

edit: While doing some digging, I found this for Gen 3 Prius: http://priuschat.com/threads/customizing-lock-functions.65454/#post-925229. I am surprised because I only knew of http://priuschat.com/threads/things-that-can-be-customized.67909/#post-940697. The pages of that PDF are from the owners' manual and you can tell the dealer to change them to whatever you want (they use Techstream).

I know for 2012+ Prius liftbacks, some of those settings can now be done via the touchscreen because all 2012+ Priuses come w/a touchscreen, regardless of whether they have nav. On 2010-2011 Priuses, you only go the touchscreen if you paid for nav.

Back