B mode and regen

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before we start talking about more mods and asking people to start tinkering and deciphering a way to modify regen I think we should first thank tony for doing that little test.

Now, with that said, Tony, add this to your plate. We need you to figure it out and pass it along to us minions as soon as possible. :p

Kohler Controller said:
TonyWilliams said:
75 amps max in B mode
125 amps max with friction brake pedal application

The cruise control doesn't have any effect on these values

Acceleration is:

480 amps max
530 amps max Sport mode

What is the current with accelerator off and with friction pedal application when in D mode?

How in the world can they rate the motor at 85kW/115kW (regular/sport) when you are seeing ~150kW/175kW respectively? I always wondered how they make a 4100 lb vehicle get to 60 mph in 7 seconds with a system rated at just 115kW. They were sandbagging.

Sorry, didn't check with D mode and friction brakes.

Yes, 530 amps * 350 volts = 185kW = 250hp

TonyWilliams said:
The uber regen test is:
75 amps max in B mode
125 amps max with friction brake pedal application
The cruise control doesn't have any effect on these values
Acceleration is:
480 amps max
530 amps max Sport mode

If the bars of regen have any indication of the amount of energy that is regenerated,
could you try this on your test hill:

Drive normally to the minimum speed of 25 mph and set the cruise control.
Than disengage, go to your test hill, let the rav run up to eg 35 mph and actived the cruise control with resume (lever up if I not mistaken) so that the cruise control wants to go back to 25 mph. That way it brakes harder than the standard B mode, according to the bars.
Interesting to see if you measure more amps flowing back into the battery.

Tony, I'm not sure you're measuring what I meant, especially since going into "B" mode or applying the brake would immediately cancel cruise control, but it's interesting nonetheless. I meant that the CC was keeping speed on a hill where just "B" mode (not braking) would still accelerate, but now I'm not so sure, and need to try that again. Anyway, it's very handy to have the regen be automatically modulated to keep speed, even on hills you could one-pedal with "B".

I have only found one hill that the RAV4 cruise, doesn't hold speed on. Sorrento Valley Boulevard dropping down into Sorrento Valley.

REGEN:

15 amps - D mode max regen
55 amps - D mode with cruise control max regen
75 amps - B mode max regen
125 amps -friction brake pedal application max regen, D or B mode

ACCELLERATION:

480 amps - max normal mode
530 amps - max Sport mode

TonyWilliams said:
REGEN:

15 amps - D mode max regen
55 amps - D mode with cruise control max regen
75 amps - B mode max regen
125 amps -friction brake pedal application max regen, D or B mode

ACCELLERATION:

480 amps - max normal mode
530 amps - max Sport mode

How do the bars on the dash correspond to the above?

Back