Bad 12 Volt Battery: Every light on, Check SRS Airbag System

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad11140

Searched through the forums and the web but didn't find this one. I have a 2013 with 48,772 miles. Have had zero issues with this vehicle.

Got in the car this morning to go to work. Pushed power button. Every light on the display was lit up. Battery is fully charged with 113 miles of range. Display indicates " Check SRS Airbag System. Have your vehicle checked by a dealership immediately."

I could not get it to turn off. Kept pushing the power button. Held it in and that did nothing. Eventually one of my pushes must have gotten it to turn off.

I plugged it back in and the vehicle initiated a charge. Pulled the charging cable out and powered up vehicle again. This time no problems. Car went through the normal paces and I got the Ready indication. Got to work on time.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

I live in Las Vegas so getting a service on my car has been a chore. Toyota is flying a tech in from Denver to perform service and I will have them look at this as well.

brad11140 said:
Got in the car this morning to go to work. Pushed power button. Every light on the display was lit up. Battery is fully charged with 113 miles of range. Display indicates " Check SRS Airbag System. Have your vehicle checked by a dealership immediately."

I could not get it to turn off. Kept pushing the power button. Held it in and that did nothing. Eventually one of my pushes must have gotten it to turn off.

I plugged it back in and the vehicle initiated a charge. Pulled the charging cable out and powered up vehicle again. This time no problems. Car went through the normal paces and I got the Ready indication. Got to work on time.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

I live in Las Vegas so getting a service on my car has been a chore. Toyota is flying a tech in from Denver to perform service and I will have them look at this as well.

If that happens again, take some pictures of your dash, or even a small movie.
And have a dealer at least read out any error codes on the Toyota can bus.
Document as much as possible

Thanks guys. Had no issues this morning. I took a photo of the dash yesterday so Ill give that to the tech. Hopefully it was just a glitch and not something I will see again.

Had the issue again when I unplugged and went to leave work.

Tony; Trying your suggestion tonight. Pulled the negative lead and will let it sit overnight.

I threw my meter on the battery and I get 10.8VDC. That seems low to me. Should be around 12VDC shouldn't it? If that is the case is it time for a new battery, or could there be an issue with the 12V charger?

Ok, it appears we found the issue. 10.8v means you need a new 12 volt battery (common in the Rav4 EV).

brad11140 said:

Tony; Trying your suggestion tonight. Pulled the negative lead and will let it sit overnight.

I threw my meter on the battery and I get 10.8VDC. That seems low to me. Should be around 12VDC shouldn't it? If that is the case is it time for a new battery, or could there be an issue with the 12V charger?

Ok, it appears we found the issue. 10.8v means you need a new 12 volt battery (common in the Rav4 EV).

I wouldn't waste your time doing anything more until you exchange the battery for a new one.

brad11140 said:

Your battery sounds shot and or you have a 12V charge issue. That voltage will mess everything up and sounds like a new battery should solve your issue. Don't even bother taking the neg cable off if that is your resting voltage.

Back