Battery Cooling for Summer

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you figure out a way to lock the doors while leaving it on? Back when I drove my Leaf I used to frequently leave it on with the A/C blowing for short stops like a run to the supermarket, and the fob could lock the doors without any issue while the car was on. With the Rav, however, it refuses to let me lock it up if the car's on with the fob outside the car - and leaving the doors unlocked with the car on and ready to drive away is perhaps not the best idea.

fooljoe said:
Did you figure out a way to lock the doors while leaving it on? Back when I drove my Leaf I used to frequently leave it on with the A/C blowing for short stops like a run to the supermarket, and the fob could lock the doors without any issue while the car was on. With the Rav, however, it refuses to let me lock it up if the car's on with the fob outside the car - and leaving the doors unlocked with the car on and ready to drive away is perhaps not the best idea.
Yes, I had the same observation with my LEAF but as you say the Rav4 doesn't do that! Anyway, the solution was to leave the key fob in the car (well actually you can take the key fob if you want) but take the physical key out from the key fob and manually lock the doors with that key. You can even turn the big LCD display off before you go. Of course, this solution is not particularly convenient for quick stops but works for longer periods like my example above.

Interestingly, if you lock the door with the key you have to unlock it with the key. It doesn't respond to the key fob or the door handle sensors.

If you leave with the fob it will beep three or four times. If it continuously beeps you've forgotten to put the car in park :eek:

I was just wondering this afternoon how I could leave my phone charging in the car with the power on and doors locked.Thanks for the helpful tip.

Back