big bear lake

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove to Arrowhead in my Volt :D Haven't tried it in a RAV4. One thing is for sure, You get a hell of a lot of regenerative braking to recharge the battery on the way down. :lol:

People do it in LEAFs all the time. It helps that they can quick charge. Over on the LEAF forum abasile lives up there and commutes down the mountain as needed. He's also been known to offer people who ask nicely a charging opportunity at his house. (It also looks like he's listed on PlugShare). PlugShare also shows a 14-50 available in Big Bear Lake (you'll need a portable EVSE to make use of it).

It would help to know where you want to start from.

I would of been coming from Pasadena. It was listed at a 90 mile 1 way drive and I think even with extended I wouldn't of made it. I just took my Prius. Would of been able to charge for 3 days straight at the rented house in Sugar Loaf.

If you just took an hour or two to charge up at one of the charging stations in SB on the way up you probably would've made it no sweat, but it being winter I can understand taking the Prius.

When you say you would've been able to charge for 3 days at the vacation rental, was it just an accessible 120V outlet, or was there a dryer outlet you could use or something similar? Mind sharing the details of the place? I'm always interested in finding vacation rentals where I can charge up for weekend getaways.

fooljoe said:
If you just took an hour or two to charge up at one of the charging stations in SB on the way up you probably would've made it no sweat, but it being winter I can understand taking the Prius.

When you say you would've been able to charge for 3 days at the vacation rental, was it just an accessible 120V outlet, or was there a dryer outlet you could use or something similar? Mind sharing the details of the place? I'm always interested in finding vacation rentals where I can charge up for weekend getaways.

I didn't book the rental, but it was a 120v, so it would of been able to charge the rav4 for my 4 day weekend easily. Plus most of the time up there I wasn't driving as I was with others.

I easily charged the 12mile range on my Prius Plug-in on my way down, so it would of been no problem if I charged in Victoria Gardens for a few hours like you stated.

I just did this over the Christmas holidays. I drove from Orange County, and stopped in Riverside off the 10 for an hour and half to charge up. Left there with 67 miles on the GOM, and drove up the hill at roughly 35 miles an hour. I made it to the vacation rental with about 18 miles on the GOM. I did not plug in that night when I got there, and checked the GOM the next morning. It had dropped to 9 miles. The cold definitely affects the charge. I charged for about 2 days at 120v. It stormed while we were there, dropping into the teens at times, and buried the RAV in 6 inches of snow. Left BB with 65 miles on the GOM, and got home with roughly 30 miles left. I live about 80 miles from BB. Coasting down that hill for 30 miles is like free range, which is really cool. The RAV even started warning me that it wasn't going to regen any more after a while. Getting there takes a little planning, but getting home is no problem at all.

Back