Biggest Pet Peeve of all time

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoltor

Over the weekend some wonderful person slammed their door into my car in a parking lot and left a good sized dent. I always try to park away from other cars for that reason but unfortunately it's not always possible. Oh well.

snoltor said:
Over the weekend some wonderful person slammed their door into my car in a parking lot and left a good sized dent. I always try to park away from other cars for that reason but unfortunately it's not always possible. Oh well.
I've got a nice little ding right under my charge port from the same thing, staring at me every time I plug in. :x

Still haven't got any dents (crossing fingers). I always try to park next to a curb or wall to reduce possible dings. Or only park in large parking spots. But you can never avoid it all the time...

Hi All,

new here (used to have a Ford Focus Electric) - recently got the RAV EV. love it.

best advice ever - play the odds with door dings...

1) always park with concrete or a divider to the right of your car (as close as you can get). 50% less chance of a ding as the
driver parked to you left would need a passenger to get out and fling their door into yours.
2) if you have to, only park between 2 other expensive cars - never a beater.
3) Never park near shopping cart corrals.

robochimp said:
Hi All,

new here (used to have a Ford Focus Electric) - recently got the RAV EV. love it.

best advice ever - play the odds with door dings...

1) always park with concrete or a divider to the right of your car (as close as you can get). 50% less chance of a ding as the
driver parked to you left would need a passenger to get out and fling their door into yours.
2) if you have to, only park between 2 other expensive cars - never a beater.
3) Never park near shopping cart corrals.

i agree with no 1.
however, number 2 is not always true. I have seen 7 series and S class being driven by OLDer people. They tend to open their doors as if there is No tomorrow. I kinda understand. it's harder to get out/get in.
This is the same reason why i don't park next to a handicapped parking space, no matter how close it is to the establishment.

As for number 3, i DO park near shopping corrals. Close inspection to Newer shopping carts, you can see that there are rubbers on every end.
what i do is park next to it and put some shopping carts around it for " protection" . Think football and my car is the QB.

NEVER, ever, EVER use TWO parking spaces, unless you're an RV or a heavy duty truck.
You're only asking for trouble by doing so. i have a friend who does this with his 350 Z, he gets keyed all the time :mrgreen:

The first week I got my car, I was driving on the freeway at 70mph+ when an errant golf ball came bouncing along and hit the top of the car... luckily no damage but I sweated it out for the rest of the trip home.

My bad week continues. Yesterday on the drive home a bird, yes a bird, hit me. I just left work and was driving on a city street about 25mph when a bird flew straight into the front passenger door. It was loud, sounded like a football hit the car. Whatever it was (may have been some sort of raptor chasing prey) it may have survived the initial slam because it flew away, but it left a pretty good impression on the door. A couple scratches, luckily no dent, but you make out the body (red arrow) and wings (red arrowheads) from some powder or oil or something that was on the feathers.

BirdHit_zps4b088644.jpg

snoltor said:
My bad week continues. Yesterday on the drive home a bird, yes a bird, hit me. I just left work and was driving on a city street about 25mph when a bird flew straight into the front passenger door. It was loud, sounded like a football hit the car. Whatever it was (may have been some sort of raptor chasing prey) it may have survived the initial slam because it flew away, but it left a pretty good impression on the door. A couple scratches, luckily no dent, but you make out the body (red arrow) and wings (red arrowheads) from some powder or oil or something that was on the feathers.

What are the odds? Interesting pattern though. Perhaps you should buy a lottery ticket. ;)

im just having the passenger side rear door replaced on my Rav4 (not hte whole door, jsut the skin). $2K. ouch.

Matching that paint is a ton of work. I had them clean up another scrape on the same side a tthe same time.

Of course the Bay Area has to be the worst place to go to a body shop. I bet if i did it in Sacramento it'd be 30% less.
however i dont actually *live* near Sacto so thats really inconvenient.

Hopefully getting it back tomorrow.

Back