Bike Rack Ideas?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dianne

I have a local client who is an avid biker. He's hesitant to add a hitch to the EV Rav's rear and prefers a roof rack with proper attachments, if possible. Any ideas, guys? If you planned to carry bikes, what would you do??

Thanks!
Dianne

I use a hitch rack on my Sienna. Planning to do the same on the RAV4. Hitch on the RAV4 is cheap...someone posted one here from Amazon for $130 or so.
http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-DoubleDown-2-Bike-Hitch-Mount/dp/B0012SDT9S/ref=sr_1_53?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1368220141&sr=1-53

It's easier to have them on the back...I don't want to get a bike on the roof...

Mike

Hi Mike!
As you know, the Rav4 EV hasn't got a hitch receiver. That's what I need advice on. He does prefer a roof rack tho.

mikegerard said:
I use a hitch rack on my Sienna. Planning to do the same on the RAV4. Hitch on the RAV4 is cheap...someone posted one here from Amazon for $130 or so.
http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-DoubleDown-2-Bike-Hitch-Mount/dp/B0012SDT9S/ref=sr_1_53?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1368220141&sr=1-53

It's easier to have them on the back...I don't want to get a bike on the roof...

Mike

Hi Dianne, I tried looking for a roof setup at first, but the hitch approach is actually a better idea. I've had friends damage their bikes because they forgot to dismount the bikes before driving into the garage.

here's my setup:
0508131658.jpg

Dianne said:
Hi Mike!
As you know, the Rav4 EV hasn't got a hitch receiver. That's what I need advice on. He does prefer a roof rack tho.

Click here for how to install the trailer hitch and trailer wiring which can be used for the multitude of typical bike racks that use a 2 inch receiver hitch. There are four preinstalled bolt holes on the Rav4 just for this (exactly the same as the oil burner Rav4).

Obviously, you don't need all the wiring depicted in the above thread for a bike rack. Literally, 15 minutes and four bolts.

I used a Reese brand hitch, but there are plenty of others.

The roof rack mounts are still up there, so you could put the stock roof rack on. That would KILL range which is why Toyota eliminated them to begin with. I recommend the rear mounted rack in a simple receiver hitch.

TonyWilliams said:
Dianne said:
Hi Mike!

Click here for how to install the trailer hitch and trailer wiring which can be used for the multitude of typical bike racks that use a 2 inch receiver hitch. There are four preinstalled bolt holes on the Rav4 just for this (exactly the same as the oil burner Rav4).

Obviously, you don't need all the wiring depicted in the above thread for a bike rack. Literally, 15 minutes and four bolts.

I used a Reese brand hitch, but there are plenty of others.

The roof rack mounts are still up there, so you could put the stock roof rack on. That would KILL range which is why Toyota eliminated them to begin with. I recommend the rear mounted rack in a simple receiver hitch.

Dianne-

This is what I had in mind. The Sienna had the same setup. The 4 bolts holes are there already. Even I was able to do this in less than 15 minutes.

Hi all,
newbie here....wanted to ask about that Reese brand hitch. Is it pretty much the same quality as the hitches offered by OEM that are supposed to be "toyota authorized" The Reese is Way less $$ wise.
Also, if I'm just tote-ing bikes no need for the wiring package right?
Just Curious.
Have learned a Lot going thru all the info & answers given here.
Thanks

JDJ said:
Hi all,
newbie here....wanted to ask about that Reese brand hitch. Is it pretty much the same quality as the hitches offered by OEM that are supposed to be "toyota authorized" The Reese is Way less $$ wise.
Just Curious.
Thanks

I don't know what quality a "Toyota authorized" hitch might have. I do find the Reese to be good, and it is powder coated (not just a cheap paint job).

No, of course you don't need light wiring.

Just installed mine yesterday ..
Was amazed how easy it was ... It is a 10 minute job for anyone ..
It's just 4 bolts that come with the hitch, and they bolt in to the nuts in the chassis ..
The finish and quality is excellent, and far better than any Uhual hitch that I have ever installed on a car.
If I can figure out how to attach pics, I will post some pics.
cheers ..
-ray

TonyWilliams said:
JDJ said:
Hi all,
Just Curious.
Thanks

I don't know what quality a "Toyota authorized" hitch might have. I do find the Reese to be good, and it is powder coated (not just a cheap paint job).

No, of course you don't need light wiring.
The Toyota OEM hitch (at least with the regular RAV4) uses many more bolts to attach to the frame (to the point it becomes a real pain to attach), so it does look more solid. But besides looks, I haven't heard anyone complain about the non-OEM hitches being too weak, especially for this scenario.

amped up said:
I haven't heard anyone complain about the non-OEM hitches being too weak, especially for this scenario.

I have pictures of both the 2012 EV and oil burner Rav4; they both have the same identical 4 mounting bolt holes and same exhaust hanger brackets. Those pictures are posted elsewhere in this forum.

There is nothing weak or cheap about the Reese hitch. It is likely far stronger that the unibody mount it is bolted to. Rated at 3500 pounds, and powder coated to look nice for a long time.

khaliss, can you please tell us the model of the Reese trailer hitch (class II or III, 1&1/2" or 2") and model of the
Yakama bike rack you purchased. If it worked for you, it should work for me :).

Thanks!
Matthew

Here are photos showing my bike racks and hitch receiver (Curt hitch receiver 13509, Class III, 2"). I have both the Inno Rack Tire Hold (added optional 3rd bike holder) and the Saris Freedom (lighter option when I'm carrying 1 or 2 bikes). I prefer the platform tire hold hitch racks over the dual arm hitch racks (top tube mounted like the Yakima in previous post) since platforms are easier to load, are more stable/less sway, there is no load or contact with carbon bike frames, can hold 20-29" bikes, and there is no need for any top tube adapters. The InnoRack can fold down (with no bikes loaded) to allow the rear swing door to fully open; the unloaded Saris will allow the door to open 3/4 when the center post is folded down, and 1/3 open when single bike is mounted on far platform.

I think the roof mounted carriers are disasters waiting to happen. I've heard the sickening noise of my friend taking out his bike and overhead carrier entering a parking garage where we were meeting up for a ride, and damaging the roof of his Lexus in the process.

Another (and inexpensive way) to go is to carry the bikes inside the RAV4 and use fork mounts connected to a wood base and a velcro strap to hold things down. You can carry 2 bikes inside and still use the single 2nd row seat, or carry 4 bikes if you fold down both seats and add another pair of fork mounts on a base.

Costs (pre-tax):
Curt Hitch Receiver 13509: ~ $130 (http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-13509-Class-Receiver/dp/B001C6GQQ8), save yourself the $60 installation fee the shop charges (took them 5 min) and have a friend help you mount this hitch receiver using the the 4 bolts
InnoRack Tire Hold INH305: ~ $320-350 (http://www.autoanything.com, or http://www.RackNRoad.com shop in Costa Mesa if you're in SoCal area)
InnoRack 3rd tray INH306: ~ $130-150
Saris Freedom: ~$210-220 (Performance Bike, Amazon)
Fork mounts + wood + velcro: ~ $50-60

InnoRack INH305 + 306
hitch2.jpg
hitch1.jpg

hitch4.JPG
hitch3.jpg

Saris Freedom
nqb3.jpg
7uk1.jpg
qz5a.jpg

Curt Hitch Receiver 13509
f5a1.jpg
qa9i.jpg

Inside Homemade Bike Rack
6894.jpg
820v.jpg
1b0l.jpg

Nice pics LastEmp.

I put in the Curt hitch (from Amazon) with a helper. There's only 4 bolts. Hardest part is lining up and getting the first couple started. The last couple are then easy.

I have the fork style rack but I'm carrying mountain bikes or kid bikes. Like your setup more.

Mike

I ordered a Reiss hitch from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-51079-Series-Receiver/dp/B0016KHD12) 2 months ago. When it arrived, it looked like it was well made and the powder coat, important to me because of corrsion I have seen inthe past, looked like good quality.
Unfortunately, the hitch is shipped with effectively no protection so it came all scratched up, deep enough to go through the powder coat.
I sent it back and they shipped another one. This one just arrived and is in worse shape than the first.
Maybe I take pictures, put it on, and if it rusts out in 5 years I demand a replacement?

SeattleRav4 said:
I ordered a Reiss hitch from Amazon 2 months ago. When it arrived, it looked like it was well made and the powder coat, important to me because of corrsion I have seen inthe past, looked like good quality.
Unfortunately, the hitch is shipped with effectively no protection so it came all scratched up, deep enough to go through the powder coat.
I sent it back and they shipped another one. This one just arrived and is in worse shape than the first.
Maybe I take pictures, put it on, and if it rusts out in 5 years I demand a replacement?

Or just get it powdered coated again?

what about those portable bike rack(Thule Raceway 2 Bike 9001)? I had a prius previously and using the portable back rack. Is that recommended?

Thanks

What impact on range have you all noticed with two bikes mounted on a tray-style hitch rack?

Back