Ca rebate refund?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It ended Jan 15, 2013.[/quote]

Thanks Tony. Since it was such an unknown program, do you think there is any possibility of an updated version or have they just gone to the straight bonus cash? What was it called and do you still have a form?

Also, I saw somewhere that your dealer was Toyota of Carlsbad. Do you live in Carlsbad?

I saw this program mentioned (advertised?) on a Toyota (or Dealer's) website, but it did not at all clearly explain the so-called "loyalty" incentive elgibility requirements. I think I first saw it back in December and EVERYTHING I've read since, online or otherwise, leads me to believe it was only available to 1st Generation RAV4EV owners, PERIOD! I think there are two or three other members here that would have qualified based on that criteria. However, I do know of anyone (other than Tony) who rec'd this "fuzzy" rebate.

The strange thing is that Toyota has since been THROWING money at any and all prospective buyers of the new RAV4 EV. However, there has been a HUGE DISCONNECT between "authorized" dealerships and Toyota Corporate with respect to this and other purchasing incentives. Could it be that the dealer's are losing lots of money as well with their flooring overheaqd costs, local discounting incentives, etc? The commission to a sale person on one of these cars may even be non-existant, so there is no incentive even bother selling these particular cars. It's almost like all these incentive are shrouded in so much secrecy that you have to know somebody who knows somebody to get the straight story about them. Back in December, the dealer I purchased my RAV4 EV actually denied any Toyota sponsored cashback incentives even existed!

I suspect the reason Toyota may be keeping various price incentives so close to the vest - i.e. not part of any widespread advertising campaign - is so out of state buyers don't find out and start raiding inventory intended to be sold in CA, so as not to undermine their "compliance car" ZEV mandate applicable in CA.

When all said and done, there probably should be a few heads rolled as the 2012 RAV4 EV is turning into a big marketing fiasco. It must certainly be no secret now, Toyota is losing tons of money on all but the first hundred or so of these fine SUVs! Marketing this car really is really turning out to be absolutely pathetic; almost as bad as the ledgendary EDSEL from over 50 years ago. That car was a total embarrassment to Ford Motor Co. The same fate very well may be shared by Toyota with respect to the 2012 RAV4 EV, however imho, completely undeserved!

Darren said:
Thanks Tony. Since it was such an unknown program, do you think there is any possibility of an updated version or have they just gone to the straight bonus cash? What was it called and do you still have a form?

Also, I saw somewhere that your dealer was Toyota of Carlsbad. Do you live in Carlsbad?

I sincerely doubt there will be an updated version of the program. I only know of two people who got the money; myself and one other.

I don't remember the name of the program nor do I have a form.

I live in the city of San Diego near Poway, and I've been having Toyota Carlsbad (26 miles away) do my service. My experience both buying and arranging service at Mossy Toyota (19 miles away) was not the greatest, and the only other Rav4 EV dealer in the entire county of over 3 million people is 23 miles south (Frank Toyota).

Well, after 2 months of advertising, I think I've finally sold my Leaf. It is a small market for used EV's. But what that means is that I can finally purchase the Rav4ev I've been wanting to purchase since I first drove it in September. I hope the good deals hold out until I get to the dealership sometime next week after the Leaf transaction is complete.

palmer_md said:
Well, after 2 months of advertising, I think I've finally sold my Leaf. It is a small market for used EV's. But what that means is that I can finally purchase the Rav4ev I've been wanting to purchase since I first drove it in September. I hope the good deals hold out until I get to the dealership sometime next week after the Leaf transaction is complete.

Current deal ends Monday, March 4.

Surprise!
I owe Waidy and Tony a beer, a hug, or a huge Thank You! which is preferred. My Toyota Loyalty check for $2500 came on Friday.
For those who have read this thread and followed the discussion, back in December there was advertising of $2500 in "Toyota Loyalty cash". It was kind of secret and the dealers really did not know what it meant. You could not get a copy of the submittal form and while the form said it applied to previous Rav4EV owners, the wording sounded like it applied to previous Toyota owners.
I own another Toyota and a Lexus, so with a little help from Waidy, I sent mine in. Hoping but not really expecting a check.

This forum gave me the courage to buy this car and so far it is paying off handsomely.

Thanks again Waidy and Tony.

Back