California Electric Vehicle Submetering Pilot Program

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dstjohn99 said:
emotorwerks said:
For those who have signed up and are waiting to get enrolled with their utility: please make sure that you have signed and returned the enrollment agreement. OhmConnect has re-sent this PDF form to everyone a few days ago. The subject of that email should read "Please Review PEV Agreement".

This form must be executed and deposited with the utility by Monday. Thank you for your cooperation!

Was this sent only to those not yet enrolled? (I didn't get the email, but I already have an agreement in place)

Also, how are the rebates being paid now? When I initially signed up last year, there was supposed to be a rebate for enrollment in the program, then rebates after 30 and 90 days participation I believe.
David, I can confirm that you are already enrolled. However, we have 70 prospects waiting to be confirmed by their utility and 50 prospects that need to sign and return the enrollment agreement.

Regarding the rebates: this was based on the original JuiceBox offer, where prospects were asked to pay $450 upfront that would be then rebated over time. The WattBox was free and it included $100 installation credit. This program did not use any rebate structure. Please note that the retail price of this device is $299 and has similar manufacturing cost as the JuiceBox. As such, this offer has already fully leveraged the economic incentives available from the submetering pilot.

eMotorWerks is unfortunately not able to honor the rebated JuiceBox offer because the utilities insisted on full UL certification and the device did not pass all the tests in time to participate in the submetering pilot. eMotorWerks has extended a similar but independent offer, where one can purchase a JuiceBox Pro with a $50 upfront discount, and get $100 in rebates annually for three years. However, this is based on participation in the energy markets and not derived from the economic incentives that were available through the submetering pilot.

emotorwerks said:
...Regarding the rebates: this was based on the original JuiceBox offer, where prospects were asked to pay $450 upfront that would be then rebated over time. The WattBox was free and it included $100 installation credit. This program did not use any rebate structure. Please note that the retail price of this device is $299 and has similar manufacturing cost as the JuiceBox. As such, this offer has already fully leveraged the esconomic incentives available from the submetering pilot.

eMotorWerks is unfortunately not able to honor the rebated JuiceBox offer because the utilities insisted on full UL certification and the device did not pass all the tests in time to participate in the submetering pilot. eMotorWerks has extended a similar but independent offer, where one can purchase a JuiceBox Pro with a $50 upfront discount, and get $100 in rebates annually for three years. However, this is based on participation in the energy markets and not derived from the economic incentives that were available through the submetering pilot.
Did I interpret the above statement right that those who paid $450 for a JuiceBox to get a rebate is now out $450?

Within the existing pilot, will there be a way to "upgrade" from a WattBox to JuiceBox (after UL completed), or after starting out with the former, we must continue using the WB for the duration of the pilot?

I haven't heard of another independent, submetering pilot program where there still will be a way to obtain a subsidized (and rebated) JB by other means. Is this a nationwide program or just available to California residents in conjunction with CPUC's IOUs? Is OhmConnect involved as well? If we are already enrolled and participating in the first pilot using a WB, are we eligible for to participate in another pilot with a JB? Is this associated with "Phase II" and/or subsequent years of the same pilot? How do we apply?

Please explain and give more details about any alternative paths to obtain a UL approved JB via subsidy rebates.

Dsinned said:
Within the existing pilot, will there be a way to "upgrade" from a WattBox to JuiceBox (after UL completed), or after starting out with the former, we must continue using the WB for the duration of the pilot?
Yes, this should be possible, but you need to be enrolled in the pilot first. How this will be handled and if it will be allowed will ultimately depend on the participating utilities. They just sent us an email earlier today confirming that the door is definitely closing by Monday midnight. Whoever has not submitted a valid enrollment form by then, is ineligible to participate in phase 1 of the submetering pilot.

Dsinned said:
I haven't heard of another independent, submetering pilot program where there still will be a way to obtain a subsidized (and rebated) JB by other means. Is this a nationwide program or just available to California residents in conjunction with CPUC's IOUs?
This pilot is specific to California, and within California, it's limited to the three largest IOUs. Other utilities don't have to participate. This is per PUC regulatory intervention. The budget and terms of the pilot were set long before eMotorWerks and OhmConnect started participating. The idea was originally to subsidize the distribution and installation of a qualified submeter, much like we are now doing with the WattBox.

However, given the economics at play, and the cost of a JuicBox, eMotorWerks and OhmConnect hoped to spark much stronger response by offering a free/rebated charging station. Although their expectations were correct, and they received well over 2,000 hand-raisers for 1,500 pilot seats, the utilities ultimately shut the door on this solution due to their insistence on full UL certification.

What we ended up with instead are about 250 WattBox installs. A respectable number, when you look at what others have done in this pilot, but still disappointingly behind the 1,500 pilot cap. We believe that many more EV drivers could have benefited from this pilot, as the PUC has intended.

Dsinned said:
Is OhmConnect involved as well? If we are already enrolled and participating in the first pilot using a WB, are we eligible for to participate in another pilot with a JB? Is this associated with "Phase II" and/or subsequent years of the same pilot? How do we apply?
eMotorWerks has been working on a new business model for the charging station industry, which would offset the cost of hardware and potentially also the installation based on participation in the energy markets. This should be possible in all states, and not just in California, but it will be easier to do in more densely populated areas with a large number of EVs. This means that California would be likely be one of the first places to benefit from this new business model, if the plan works out.

Dsinned said:
Please explain and give more details about any alternative paths to obtain a UL approved JB via subsidy rebates.
It's possible that other utilities will set up similar programs, and some of them approached eMotorWerks already. It's premature to talk about this, and it might not happen at all, despite best intentions. I believe that OhmConnect and eMotorWerks would like to continue collaborating, but I'm not aware of any upcoming program that's fully fleshed out yet, which would have them work as closely together as they did on the submetering pilot.

Thank you very much for the participation in the pilot and for your support. We are working hard to bring value and innovative products to you and to other EV drivers. With a little luck, we will succeed at that.

ehelmholtz said:
Did I interpret the above statement right that those who paid $450 for a JuiceBox to get a rebate is now out $450?
No, this is not correct. There is a small number (less than two dozen) of those that have received an early pilot JuiceBox. eMotorWerks will accept them for a full refund. Additionally, those that are still looking or hoping for a deal on a charging station, can get the JuiceBox Pro for $250 - after a $50 upfront discount and three annual rebates of $100. This applies to the early pilot JuiceBox recipients as well. Some of them have already returned their devices and took delivery of a WattBox instead. Others continue using it. All of these folks have received the first rebate of $150, and their effective purchase price is $300. We have communicated the available options to them clearly and openly and stopped taking any orders for pilot JuicBoxes months ago.

Ummm, I got here a bit late … EMW is reneging on the "free JB"?? Even for PEV participants who signed up under the "free JB" offer ?!? That was less than a year ago, now you want us to trust you to send rebates for 3 years ?!?

The following always clearly spelled out on the JuiceBox pilot offer page. Without the pilot incentive payment, eMotorWerks is unable to honor this offer. I hope that this was clear from the start - that the free charging station was contingent on pilot participation.

The effective zero net charging station cost is achieved through an upfront discount, and four rebates, which are due after three months of consecutive use with successful data transmission. All rebates are conditional on utility participation and registration. They will be delivered within 45 days of meeting the eligibility criteria. The total amount of discounts and rebates will amount to the purchase price of a JuiceBox Pro 40.

Wow - there's a whole lot of reneging going on - EMW didn't get the payments outlined in the CPUC order? _YOU_ may have some recourse.

No worries, I'll cancel my pilot participation on Monday (short of the CPUC time period needed for EMW to get paid).
Have a great life. The WB will be in my e-recycle bin.

Disappointing to be sure, but we still got free WattBoxes and avoided the hefty costs of the utilities charging plenty to install "their" own secondary (sub)meters and related infrastructure modifications to our homes. This could have potentially saved each pilot participant thousands of dollars!

The IOUs strict safety requirements and slug-like inner workings of UL are the bad guy here, not eMW!

EMW had a bad ride w the IOUs … that doesn't absolve them from reneging on the "free" JB. EMW is still getting their payments from the utilities (promised in the CPUC order).

Here the bottom line - there's no "free" JB, no one has substantiated any savings - call your utility TODAY to switch back to a normal rate plan (where you can get correct bills), and out of this farce. [PGE 800-743-5000].

srl99 said:
Here the bottom line - there's no "free" JB, no one has substantiated any savings - call your utility TODAY to switch back to a normal rate plan (where you can get correct bills), and out of this farce. [PGE 800-743-5000].
There are several real situations that will result in significantly lower bills with sub-metering. If you want help analyzing your situation, PM me. Of course, the way the pilot program is being handled by all parties is open to criticism, but the fact remains that sub-metering is a necessary option.

emotorwerks said:
ehelmholtz said:
We have communicated the available options to them clearly and openly and stopped taking any orders for pilot JuicBoxes months ago.

Ummm, you must have missed me. I have not received any information from EMW unless I specifically initiated the communication. All I know to date (prior to these posts, since last November purchase and enrollment) is that my JB cannot be used for the trial, and I've been in a holding pattern hoping for UL approval so the JB could be replaced with compliant equipment. Recently I happened to ask for a situation update and I was told I qualify for the free WB (pay for shipping), so I did take advantage of that offer. No one ever volunteered and details about returning the JB or no more rebates.

I definitely want to take advantage of returning the JB for a refund since the transaction is not as represented. There is clearly no future hope of realizing rebates for the JB as advertised, and I'm not even able to use my JB at all since I'm using an alternate charger for the trial (purchased at yet more expense). My JB also does not work with the remote app, does not stay connected to wifi, etc., etc.. Please provide instructions on how to return my JB for a full refund. Mine was over $500 as I upgraded the cable.

As for the Wattbox and PUC trial, I'm very happy with that offer and I'm also happy to participate and see how it goes with the submeter program with SDGE. But at least now I know there is no 3 month requirement to realize rebates, etc. There may have been EMW communication to others but somehow I didn't get the memo.

Having said that, I look forward to JB certification and once the JB product stabilizes I'm most likely going to purchase one that works with "all the bells and whistles." I know EMW has poured everything into this effort and I appreciate what you are doing for the EV community.

Please contact me at [email protected] with complete details on returning my JB for a refund.

emotorwerks said:
The following always clearly spelled out on the JuiceBox pilot offer page. Without the pilot incentive payment, eMotorWerks is unable to honor this offer. I hope that this was clear from the start - that the free charging station was contingent on pilot participation.

The effective zero net charging station cost is achieved through an upfront discount, and four rebates, which are due after three months of consecutive use with successful data transmission. All rebates are conditional on utility participation and registration. They will be delivered within 45 days of meeting the eligibility criteria. The total amount of discounts and rebates will amount to the purchase price of a JuiceBox Pro 40.

When I accepted the Wattbox offer and joined the pilot I was told I would still be eligible for the free Juicebox offer since the pilot supported staggered hardware delivery, once it received the UL listing of course. Since I have enrolled and Emotorwerks is receiving payments from the utility company on my behalf I expect they will honor their agreement as well.

B-Bob said:
When I accepted the Wattbox offer and joined the pilot I was told I would still be eligible for the free Juicebox offer since the pilot supported staggered hardware delivery, once it received the UL listing of course. Since I have enrolled and Emotorwerks is receiving payments from the utility company on my behalf I expect they will honor their agreement as well.

What if they never deliver the JB ? would you participate with only the wattbox ?
What if you get a JB but you have to use it 3 years to get enough reimbursements to have it "free" ?
Afaik the pilot program is only 3-12 months btw

Would you go along with that ?

I'm w you. No free JB, I'm out, intentionally short of the 2 months it takes EMW to collect their loot. I can't be supporting this kind of "business".

Who'd be crazy enough to trust EMW for three years? They reneged after 6-8 months this round. After 3 years, you'd be quite blue (from holding your breath) and have paid lots for an EVSE which doesn't pass UL.

I logged into my OhmConnect account the other day thinking I might just cancel the whole thing since it's now clear that the free Juicebox isn't happening, and I'm tired of their annoying emails. I discovered that I had earned ~2500 "points" somehow, and I was actually able to have that converted into $25 which was immediately Paypal'd to me. Nice little surprise - anyone else tried this?

fooljoe said:
I logged into my OhmConnect account the other day thinking I might just cancel the whole thing since it's now clear that the free Juicebox isn't happening, and I'm tired of their annoying emails. I discovered that I had earned ~2500 "points" somehow, and I was actually able to have that converted into $25 which was immediately Paypal'd to me. Nice little surprise - anyone else tried this?

Yes. Not related to PEV Pilot.

Back