California Electric Vehicle Submetering Pilot Program

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dsinned said:
My understanding is that JuiceBox users participating in this program will have more accurate ("RGM" equivalent) metering built-in. I know that JB V8.9 introduced higher accuracy AC measurements in the latest design, quite possibly for this special "submetering" pilot program. Apparently, they will be "basic" JBs (w/o LCD option), but will have WiFi, so they can upload measurement data over the participating resident's home network to the Internet. Perhaps each JB user will have access to login accounts on that server, so we can monitor our own data during this program. That would really be interesting!

Sounds like I would be able to not install the separate TOU meter and use the AC measurement report by JB and get the 0.025/kw discount for the EV usage? Does that sound right?

I applied about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I just heard back last week and signed up with Ohmconnect as required. A couple days later I got the link for the discounted Juicebox and I ordered it the same day (yesterday). The 32 amp model is offered for $450, which is what you will get in total rebates after the 3 month trial. I upgraded to the "50 amp" juicebox for about $75 more.

Rav4EVoom said:
Dsinned said:
My understanding is that JuiceBox users participating in this program will have more accurate ("RGM" equivalent) metering built-in. I know that JB V8.9 introduced higher accuracy AC measurements in the latest design, quite possibly for this special "submetering" pilot program. Apparently, they will be "basic" JBs (w/o LCD option), but will have WiFi, so they can upload measurement data over the participating resident's home network to the Internet. Perhaps each JB user will have access to login accounts on that server, so we can monitor our own data during this program. That would really be interesting!

Sounds like I would be able to not install the separate TOU meter and use the AC measurement report by JB and get the 0.025/kw discount for the EV usage? Does that sound right?
A separate meter would have the same capability as a submetering capable JB. All you need to have is an "always on" home network WiFi connection to the Internet, and a suitable "high amperage" AC outlet to plug in the JB near where your RAV4 EV would be parked each night where you live.

Dsinned said:
Rav4EVoom said:
Dsinned said:

A separate meter would have the same capability as a submetering capable JB. All you need to have is an "always on" home network WiFi connection to the Internet, and a suitable "high amperage" AC outlet to plug in the JB near where your RAV4 EV would be parked each night where you live.

I have wifi set up so that's ready. This sounds great as it also greatly reduces my installation cost by not having to add a TOU meter. I hope I can have good news from emotorwerks soon. Thanks

dstjohn99 said:
I applied about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I just heard back last week and signed up with Ohmconnect as required. A couple days later I got the link for the discounted Juicebox and I ordered it the same day (yesterday). The 32 amp model is offered for $450, which is what you will get in total rebates after the 3 month trial. I upgraded to the "50 amp" juicebox for about $75 more.

congratulation! Keeping my fingers crossed to hear back. Hopefully soon.

I read that after you apply, it may take up to 30 days to receive an acknowledgement. Also, I read that this program (at least within PG&E territory) started on September 1st and can only have up 500 total participants (100 of which can be existing NEMs customers). I believe the same applies within the other two CA utilities covered by the CPUC. Fortunately, I already have a (non-participating) JB installed at home, but I would gladly reallocate that existing unit to a traveling (portable use only) EVSE while I'm participating in this program.

Dsinned said:
I read that after you apply, it may take up to 30 days to receive an acknowledgement. Also, I read that this program (at least within PG&E territory) started on September 1st and can only have up 500 total participants (100 of which can be existing NEMs customers). I believe the same applies within the other two CA utilities covered by the CPUC. Fortunately, I already have a (non-participating) JB installed at home, but I would gladly reallocate that existing unit to a traveling (portable use only) EVSE while I'm participating in this program.

I see. I hope they are still open as their website is still taking application the last time I checked. That's how I submitted my application a few days ago... Ideally they should not let more people fill out their application if they stopped taking them.

Rav4EVoom said:
I see. I hope they are still open as their website is still taking application the last time I checked. That's how I submitted my application a few days ago... Ideally they should not let more people fill out their application if they stopped taking them.

I just received acceptance email from EMW today. They responded within a weeks time. That was really great. But unfortunately I also found out that I've not read the eligibility requirements clearly before I applied. My utility company LADWP did not participate in this pilot program, so I have to apologize to EMW that I mistakenly applied for the program since my utility didn't participate in the trial and that they are to free up the head count to accept other qualified applicant.

My loss is your gain, if you qualify for the pilot program, my space if yours to take... :cry:

P.S. I have emailed the pilot program info for LADWP urging them to consider participation. I know it's a long shot, but "may be" they will do something later. The success of this program will likely save everyone including utility company lots of money and effort to provide EV discount without installing a separate dedicated TOU meter.(just use a "smart" L2 EVSE instead)

Today, I also rec'd an acknowledgement email essentially saying my qualifications are under review and to wait for additional info in the next couple of weeks. I already "activated" an account with OhmConnect, so there is nothing else to do except "sit tight and wait". No guarantees, but this is like having a winning ticket to the lottery! :mrgreen:

I got an email from E.motorwerks today saying "Please expect a few weeks for delivery.
" for the Juicebox. I also emailed on 10/4 asking if I could upgrade to a premium (not an option when I ordered the pilot program unit), but no reply yet.

dstjohn99 said:
I got an email from E.motorwerks today saying "Please expect a few weeks for delivery.
" for the Juicebox. I also emailed on 10/4 asking if I could upgrade to a premium (not an option when I ordered the pilot program unit), but no reply yet.
David, thank you for enrolling in the pilot! Unfortunately, JuiceBox Premium won't be offered as part of the trial. The PEV pilot hardware will contain some specific modifications, which will not be replicated elsewhere. I'm quoting the relevant section of the FAQ, which was added recently:

Is JuiceBox Premium eligible for PEV pilot subsidies?

The trial-specific JuiceBox will contain pilot-specific modifications, which will not be available in JuiceBox Premium. Consequently, PEV pilot participants will be only offered the option to purchase this very specific hardware, which will be based on a regular JuiceBox. Asside from a different enclosure, the only missing feature when compared to JuiceBox Premium will the the LCD display.

emotorwerks said:
David, thank you for enrolling in the pilot! Unfortunately, JuiceBox Premium won't be offered as part of the trial. The PEV pilot hardware will contain some specific modifications, which will not be replicated elsewhere. I'm quoting the relevant section of the FAQ, which was added recently:

Is JuiceBox Premium eligible for PEV pilot subsidies?

The trial-specific JuiceBox will contain pilot-specific modifications, which will not be available in JuiceBox Premium. Consequently, PEV pilot participants will be only offered the option to purchase this very specific hardware, which will be based on a regular JuiceBox. Asside from a different enclosure, the only missing feature when compared to JuiceBox Premium will the the LCD display.

How long between opening the Ohmconnect account and getting the link for ordering the JB ?

I just reread the eligibility requirements and spotted a potential issue for myself and possibly others here. If you're on PG&E's E-9 rate plan (either A or B), that may disqualify you as a participant in this program. Apparently, to be eligible, you should NOT already be on a "special EV" TOU rate plan like E-9A/B or EV-A/B . . .

"According to advice letter 4458-E, the qualifying PG&E rate schedules for residential customers are E-1, E-6, E-7, EM and ES or their low-income equivalents. PG&E customers on E-9 could switch to an eligible rate schedule or wait until the end of the year, and try to enroll in the pilot in January, if there were any remaining slots."

In my case, two of those other rate plans would be more favorable to me as E-9A, plus I have solar. E-7 looks like it would be the best (lowest cost) plan for me to be in for qualification purposes.

I just did a comparison using the Nidili iPhone app, PG&E Toolkit. For the period starting April 1st to date, with my 4.25kW PV system operating almost continuously during that same period, the results of comparing all possible rate plans, are as follows:

Energy Used / [Generated]: [1019.11 kWh]
Number of Days: 557
Baseline Quantity: 6516.90 kWh
E-1 Cost / [Credit]: [$134.83]
E-6 Cost / [Credit]: [$504.51]
E-7 Cost / [Credit]: [$640.71]
E-9A Cost/[Credit]: [$469.28]
E-9B Cost/[Credit]: [$436.24]
EV-A Cost/[Credit]: [$784.36]
EV-B Cost/[Credit]: [$769.35]

This comparison also points out that if accepted into this pilot submetering program, and I thereby switch to EV-B, I should REALLY benefit. I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, since CPUC has is already planning to terminate E-9A (and B) sometime in the near future.

Comments?

@Dsinned,

It looks like you are over-generating. Why would you want to get sub-metering? My understanding is that your EV use would be subtracted from your main meter and you would have to pay for that EV use at the TOU EV rate. You would then have an even bigger surplus generation and would probably be paid out by PG&E at 4 cents/kWh. However, your EV use is billed at about 16 cents/kWh. Why would you want to do that?

The most compelling case for Sub-Metering is somebody who does not have solar and lives in Tracy and runs a lot of A/C during the peak times. They stay on E-1 to keep their rate for A/C and still get the benefit of lower priced off-peak power for the EV. If they put the whole house on TOU, their total bill cost would be far higher than just charging on the tiered E-1 schedule.

Also, E-7 has been closed to new customers for a long time. Since at least 1/1/2011, probably earlier.

I wasn't aware that E-7 was no longer an option. I guess E-6 would have to be my next best choice, i.e. just for the duration of the EV-B PEV submetering pilot program.

My motivations here are:

1. Get "free" JuiceBox(es); I have two EVs, so I can apply twice.
2. After receiving a free JB, I can use my existing JB for portable use.
3. Would like to upgrade to 25' 50A J1772 cable for $70 total cost.
4. E-9A is closed so PG&E will force me to change rate plans soon.
5. And just because these kind of things are of interest to me.
6. Did I mention I can get another WiFi Juicebox for "FREE". :mrgreen:

If after the pilot program ends (no more than 12 months from start), I can change rate plans again, to EV-A or perhaps stay on EV-B if submetering is still an option. But, the main reason is I, like many of you, are facing a decision to change rate plans anyway if and when E-9A goes away.

My Juicebox FINALLY arrived. It supposedly shipped 11/10 via Fedex, but did not arrive until 11/26 - an hour after I left town for the holiday weekend. I was able to pick it up at my local Fedex office Monday. I plugged it in and it connected to my wifi immediately with no problems. Hopefully the data transfer for the SDGE pilot program started last night / today. I wish the Entune emails were working so I could keep tabs on start / stop / charge time. Anyhow, my car was charged this morning so it is working.

dstjohn99, you must of got one of the first units to ship. I follow this (and the Leaf forum) fairly closely and have not heard of anybody else getting one yet.

I have a few questions for you.

1. Is its physical appearance the same as the pre-existing JuiceBox Basic with an external WiFi antenna.

2. Without a front panel user interface, with WPS, how does it know how to connect to your WiFi home network?

3. Is there any feedback available to you via OhmConnect (or EMW) that it is recording data via the submeter function?

4. Did it have a special label with any operating instructions or come with a manual?

5. Did it come with a wall mounting bracket?

TIA for the information.

Back