California Electric Vehicle Submetering Pilot Program

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drmanny, wattbox "functionality" is built-in to the soon-to-be UL approved JB, so you won't need a second standalone WattBox in your situation. However, I'm not sure you can have two submetering EVSEs on the same electrical utility account. Maybe . . . but you might need to have TWO separate accounts for that scenario as a residential customer in the submetering pilot, or as the previous poster suggests, the wiring infrastructure to support up to 80 amps from one dedicated subpanel strictly for EV charging requirements. In a business application, there is probably already a provision for this to be allowed.

There are certainly some of us Californians with two or more EVs in the same household, so you are posing an interesting question. However, I almost never need to charge both my EVs at the same time, so one submetering account should be sufficient for me. Besides that, I only have a single, high amperage (50A rated), 240V AC outlet in my garage anyway. Of course, I can still charge one of my EVs at 120Vac on the car's OEM charge cord, while charging the charging the other on a UL approved JB (or third party EVSE L2 + WB).

Dennis, the provisions of the PEV Pilot permit up to 19 submeters per main meter. This applies for both private residences and commercial operations. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the clarification. In retrospect, I now remember reading that somewhere. That's terrific, however in such situations, would the PEV submetering pilot participant be entitled to use TWO fully rebated JuiceBoxes in the same residential household, or the rebate for just one?

Dsinned said:
Thanks for the clarification. In retrospect, I now remember reading that somewhere. That's terrific, however in such situations, would the PEV submetering pilot participant be entitled to use TWO fully rebated JuiceBoxes in the same residential household, or the rebate for just one?
The pilot will support staggered hardware development, and you should be able to receive two or more separate devices, if there is legitimate need for plug-in vehicle submetering. We have heard from pilot prospects wishing to submeter a Volt charging from a regular wall outlet with a WattBox, and are planning to get a UL-certified JuiceBox for their RAV4 or another BEV. Given the increasing number of households with two or more EVs, and the number of inquiries we received about this, I wanted to emphasize that this is indeed possible.

Just received mine.
I has a 200 amp CT supplied with it.
I was able to get #6 wires through the 200 AMP CT (current transformer)
So you could actually measure 2 breaker groups with 2 x #6 wires passing though the CT.
So 2 x 40amp charging stations monitored by this wattbox is possible imho.
20150501_125038.jpg

fromport said:
Just received min.
I has a 200 amp CT supplied with it.
I was able to get #6 wires through the 200 AMP CT (current transformer)
So you could actually measure 2 breaker groups with 2 x #6 wires passing though the CT.
So 2 x 40amp charging stations monitored by this wattbox is possible imho.
20150501_125038.jpg
Good to hear! Please note that the EKM meter supports up to 3 current sensors, which would be the preferred way of monitoring separate charging stations. eMotorWerks has not considered this use case, and we would recommend two separate WattBoxes. Alternatively, we might be able to work with you, and provide a second CT and a line-tap. The only question mark here is the firmware, which would need to be adjusted. This is why I would consider this approach as tentative.

Hmmm . . . very interesting. It is therefore highly feasible to use a WB, in effect, as a "two in one" submetereing device, especially if it is used to monitor voltage and current from two separate, but dedicated, 240Vac power outlets. In such an application, is the WiFi enabled EKM's current measurement within the allowed maximum limit of eMW server and app software? The EVSE standard allows up to 80A, but I don't remember seeing the dial face in the app go up that high? Obviously, the EKM "meter" should be compatible since the CT is rated for "200A". A single 240 AC voltage tap input to the EKM meter should be acceptable as well, unless the two separate power outlets are not sharing the same branch circuit or subpanel in close proximity to both EVSEs.

Only in the case of one 120V "L1" EVSE, plus another "L2" EVSE operating at 240V, would this "two into one" WB concept not work properly.

michael said:
Did you ever get LADWP to agree to participate??
Michael, pursuant PUC Resolution E-4651 the three large investor-owned utilities, SCE, PG&E, and SDG&E were asked to develop rules to incorporate customer-owned submeters into their billing and metering system in order to better support EV adoption. The PEV Pilot is the direct result of Rulemaking 09-08-009. Unfortunately, LADWP and other POUs are not part of this process, or at least not yet. The PEV Pilot and its results might very well shape future rulemaking. I'm not sure if this is being considered by LADWP or not, but hopefully we will see this initiative succeed, and similar measures being adopted by other utilities.

Click to open

What is the latest on the UL certification of the Juice Box for this program. I have actively participated in the sub metering program at SCE during the month of June. I have yet to see a monthly bill, but expect in the next few days to see the results. Anyone else get a report out? I am currently using the Leviton 40 amp charger and the WattBox provided by Emotorworks.
Manny

We are excited to announce that over 100 of our pilot prospects have taken delivery of our WattBox smart energy monitor. Many have been accepted by the participating utilities and saw a reduction of over 10% on their electric bill. We expect them to realize even greater savings during the hot summer months.

As you know, the PEV Pilot program is nearing the extended enrollment deadline. In order to meet this deadline, and to ensure that we can get customers enrolled and transmitting data, we are asking for your help.

For one, we still need more SDG&E customers to enroll in the PEV Pilot. If you know anyone that would like to sign up, please direct them to http://emotorwerks.com/free-wattbox or http://emotorwerks.com/free-juicebox. Alternatively, please have them contact us with any questions at [email protected]

Secondly, if you currently have a Level 1 or 2 charging station or charging cord that is UL or NRTL certified then you are already qualified for our WattBox energy monitor. The WattBox will let you transition to a submetered EV tariff and the time-of-use rates your utility offers right away! You don’t need to wait for UL certification of our other pilot solution.

If you have not yet ordered a WattBox and would like to participate in this program, you can procure one at a substantially discounted price. The pricing is scheduled to go up another $50 at the end of July, so please hurry! For a limited time, we are also offering a $100 subsidy of the installation for your WattBox.

Additionally, if you wish to get a WattBox now, you can still get a JuiceBox later under the terms of the program when it becomes UL listed. As a refresher, we have two programs to get you onto a submetered tariff:

WattBox: eMotorWerks will provide an energy monitoring device, which will be installed next to your existing charging station, and will submeter and relay EV energy consumption data to your utility. We will also be offering a subsidy of up to $100 of the installation cost. You can procure a WattBox at a substantially discounted price. Please be sure to refer to our extensive WattBox FAQ as well.

JuiceBox: This pilot enrollment option has been delayed due to the ongoing UL certification process. The good news is that JuiceBox has entered the final round of tests, which commenced at the end of June. This program should get underway in early August or as soon as JuiceBox has received the UL mark. Additional program details are covered in the JuiceBox FAQ.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to getting you up and running in the PEV Pilot!

Thank you,
Teams OhmConnect & eMotorWerks

wS9dl8aaD5m7aZsWgTQ4KE6Oh89W_rP6j_8PkcUGBho=w406-h541-no

Dear EMotorwerks - could you tell us which utilities have the customers saving 10%, and some idea of their usage pattern? Thanks! Maybe also the previous whole house rate plan and the new rate planS .

srl99 said:
Dear EMotorwerks - could you tell us which utilities have the customers saving 10%, and some idea of their usage pattern? Thanks!
How much you save depends completely on your individual situation and usage pattern. Personally, I would probably pay more with the Sub-Metering pilot because I have solar and my Off-Peak rate is lower than the Off-Peak rate available in the pilot. The most compelling savings would be if you lived in a hot area where you have to use a lot of A/C. The reason is that if you changed your house away from the standard rates to get cheaper Off-Peak car charging, you would increase the cost of your A/C usage. Therefore, keep the house on the same rate, but put the car on this sub-metered time of use rate plan.

I agree the savings will probably be very little real dollars. I guess this gives the Utilities like SCE an opportunity in the future to control when our car charges. Assuming they have a lot of electrics out there they might want to spread it out over the entire evening/morning. I took a look yesterday at our inverter and it shows that we have generated over 42,000 kwh over the last 5 years. That is pretty good.
Manny

miimura said:
srl99 said:
Dear EMotorwerks - could you tell us which utilities have the customers saving 10%, and some idea of their usage pattern? Thanks!
How much you save depends completely on your individual situation and usage pattern. Personally, I would probably pay more with the Sub-Metering pilot because I have solar and my Off-Peak rate is lower than the Off-Peak rate available in the pilot. The most compelling savings would be if you lived in a hot area where you have to use a lot of A/C. The reason is that if you changed your house away from the standard rates to get cheaper Off-Peak car charging, you would increase the cost of your A/C usage. Therefore, keep the house on the same rate, but put the car on this sub-metered time of use rate plan.
Yes, correct. This depends on your usage. The submetering pilot was set up with the primary objective to make the transition to a time-of-use tariff easy. Having the charging station submeter itself is a step in that direction. While many EV drivers have discovered the benefit of of TOU rates, they are not a perfect fit for those that need to run A/C or other household loads during peak times (see an actual customer example below).

The majority of EV owners is not on TOU. These drivers could benefit from putting their EV on a submetered circuit in order to avoid hitting higher tariff tiers. While EV drivers with solar have been generally disinterested in the submetering pilot due to the implied economics, there are some that want to avoid hitting higher tiers, and they have already installed a WattBox.

In fact, some of these EV drivers have been the most motivated ones and have constantly pushed us to look for an alternative solution while we continue working on UL certification of our JuiceBox charging station.

QEfsGLPKYwN-Q25isy7ynrqKtzjpLMZL8VejOAoT92A9=w640-h305-no

I initially shifted to the TOU to take advantage of the special rates. At first it was somewhat easy to keep everything off up till 6 pm. In this instance our solar panels would produce electricity and after awhile take us to the higher tier pricing. So we would end up with a credit that was based upon the more expensive electricity rates during the day to offset our use of the electricity during the night to charge our car. With the Rav4EV I have twice the battery size compared to the Leaf. So it does suck of the juice. Our consumption has been running around 500 to 600 kwh per month. More than half that amount is due to the Rav4EV. Of late however the heat has been driving us mad. It is really hard to keep the air off till after 8 pm which is the new cut off from On Peak to Off Peak. If I am not working I am at home the whole day. While our home has great insulation it eventually gets hot inside and then takes a long time to cool down on its own. So I have been considering going back to the traditional 5 Tier rate plan. I am waiting to see how the sub metering plan effects our overall bill. Our usage somewhat follows the graph that was shown on the previous post. If you use a lot of juice while on the Off Peak rate it still stings as the cost goes up substantially.
Manny

drmanny3 said:
I initially shifted to the TOU to take advantage of the special rates. At first it was somewhat easy to keep everything off up till 6 pm. In this instance our solar panels would produce electricity and after awhile take us to the higher tier pricing. So we would end up with a credit that was based upon the more expensive electricity rates during the day to offset our use of the electricity during the night to charge our car. With the Rav4EV I have twice the battery size compared to the Leaf. So it does suck of the juice. Our consumption has been running around 500 to 600 kwh per month. More than half that amount is due to the Rav4EV. Of late however the heat has been driving us mad. It is really hard to keep the air off till after 8 pm which is the new cut off from On Peak to Off Peak. If I am not working I am at home the whole day. While our home has great insulation it eventually gets hot inside and then takes a long time to cool down on its own. So I have been considering going back to the traditional 5 Tier rate plan. I am waiting to see how the sub metering plan effects our overall bill. Our usage somewhat follows the graph that was shown on the previous post. If you use a lot of juice while on the Off Peak rate it still stings as the cost goes up substantially.
Manny

Same here.
Installed the Wattbox and send them the agreement.
From SCE
Jun 24 (11 days ago)
This e-mail is to confirm receipt of your customer enrollment agreement. We are currently processing your enrollment and will notify you when it is completed

Currently on SCE ToU-B plan.
We are doing pretty well with putting all real loads in the cheap hours
But like you, I work from home and my spouse has asthma and last week we needed to run the AC for a while and it was an immediate penalty of $3.5
zMruf8E.png

I hope once I get accepted, I can switch the house back to the tiered system. That would make it a lot more bearable to run the AC when we really need it. Doing about 2000 miles per month on the EV, so majority of the electricity is for the rav4ev's

emotorwerks said:
We are excited to announce that over 100 of our pilot prospects have taken delivery of our WattBox smart energy monitor. Many have been accepted by the participating utilities and saw a reduction of over 10% on their electric bill. We expect them to realize even greater savings during the hot summer months.]

EMW, tell us more about these customers - who are already saving 10% before the AC season (?). Which CA IOU is sending correct EV-Pilot customer bills? What was the customer's rate plan before, and what are the rate planS after?

Electric cooking/baking is another Peak kWH user. At least it was, before the CA IOUs convinced us to return to our caves.

Back