Can I charge in the garage

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good idea, will look for the threads.

I talked to one of the maintenance guys this morning and he confirmed that all the garages in one building are on a shared line. He said that for a small appliance its ok, but when they plug in a bigger 'machine' it draws the power and the other lights, etc dim. He couldnt say what would happen if i were powering a car and someone else opened their garage door or plugged something in.

josephine said:
... He couldnt say what would happen if i were powering a car and someone else opened their garage door or plugged something in.
In my opinion, that pretty much kills the idea of charging on that circuit. I can't imagine that you could avoid blowing the breaker at least occasionally.

I would assume it is a 20 amp circuit but have that maintenance guy show you the breaker.
One door should be fine. But five doors together might be an issue. And realistically how often does that happen?

If you have easy access to the breaker it may not be a big deal to reset in the infrequent chance it does trip.

Otherwise get an older used car you can trade off after the move.

smkettner said:
I would assume it is a 20 amp circuit but have that maintenance guy show you the breaker.
One door should be fine. But five doors together might be an issue. And realistically how often does that happen? ...
Don't forget he said the lights dimmed which means all the lighting is probably also on that circuit, which could easily be 3-500 watts.

Back