Can I use this outdoor electrical outlet to charge my Rav4EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides all that, if you are actively charging all day it keeps the TMS active to heat or cool the battery as needed for long life and best range.

Rav4EVoom said:
when you say evseupgraded leaf evse, does it mean upgraded Nissan leaf OEM L1 EVSE? can it be used for both 110V and 240V source and with 20A it's pulling, it won't burn the cord/plug? Can the same modification be done to Rav4EV OEM L1 cord?
You can get the Rav cord modified to do both 120v and 240v, but it'll still only do 12 amps. The upgraded Leaf EVSE is better built and tested up to 25A (need to request a special code from the evseupgrade guys for this though) and it's fully programmable in 1 amp increments for both 120v and 240v operation. It also has a cool security code feature.

I believe the outlet in question (in the previous photos) is a "TT-30R". This is commonly used in RV Parks for 125V loads up to 30amps. So, it can supply a load circuit up to 3750 watts.

For THAT outlet, here's a link to an inexpensive, TT-30P/5-15R adapter on Amazon.com that would be needed to use with any Level 1 (120V only) EVSE that come with all EVs sold in the USA today.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55233-E...im_auto_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H487D1P0BHT2YM39BMC

With an adapter like this, you can use the RAV4 EV's OEM charge cord, to charge from that workplace "125V - 30A" outlet. However, you still will not be able to slowly charge your RAV4 EV at any more than 12amps, because that is all Toyota's standard OEM charge cord is rated for. But, if the workplace electricity is free and you have permission to use the outlet during working hours, you can regain ~25 miles more in additional range over approximately an 8 hour period. That is probably not really enough, but better than nothing and its FREE!

fooljoe said:
Rav4EVoom said:
when you say evseupgraded leaf evse, does it mean upgraded Nissan leaf OEM L1 EVSE? can it be used for both 110V and 240V source and with 20A it's pulling, it won't burn the cord/plug? Can the same modification be done to Rav4EV OEM L1 cord?
You can get the Rav cord modified to do both 120v and 240v, but it'll still only do 12 amps. The upgraded Leaf EVSE is better built and tested up to 25A (need to request a special code from the evseupgrade guys for this though) and it's fully programmable in 1 amp increments for both 120v and 240v operation. It also has a cool security code feature.

Thank you for clarifying the difference between the Toyota OEM EVSE and Nissan Leaf one. Think it's more likely that I'll stick with the Toyota OEM EVSE with adapter plug for the time being until I get a portable L2 EVSE at later time.(will think about getting a portable L2 EVSE after I figure out how to get my first L2 EVSE set up in my garage with all the Install and LADWP processes).

Dsinned said:
I believe the outlet in question (in the previous photos) is a "TT-30R". This is commonly used in RV Parks for 125V loads up to 30amps. So, it can supply a load circuit up to 3750 watts.

For THAT outlet, here's a link to an inexpensive, TT-30P/5-15R adapter on Amazon.com that would be needed to use with any Level 1 (120V only) EVSE that come with all EVs sold in the USA today.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55233-Electrical-PowerGrip-Adapter/dp/B00192QB3I/ref=pd_sim_auto_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H487D1P0BHT2YM39BMC

With an adapter like this, you can use the RAV4 EV's OEM charge cord, to charge from that workplace "125V - 30A" outlet. However, you still will not be able to slowly charge your RAV4 EV at any more than 12amps, because that is all Toyota's standard OEM charge cord is rated for. But, if the workplace electricity is free and you have permission to use the outlet during working hours, you can regain ~25 miles more in additional range over approximately an 8 hour period. That is probably not really enough, but better than nothing and its FREE!

Thanks for the link. After I test out the voltage as advised by Tony, I'll get a adapter as recommended to get the trickle L1 charge.

Back