Car alarm goes off everytime

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sushah23

I just bought a 2012 RAV4 EV and I am seeing a car alarm issue everytime. I lock the car, step away from it and then come back to the car within the unlock range but if I don't unlock the car within 5 seconds or so, the car alarm goes off everytime. Is this supposed to be a feature? Gets very annoying specially when I am plugged in. I have to first unlock the car before I go unplug the charger (which will usually take more than 5 seconds).

Anyone else experienced this issue?

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your original post. Ignore the response below. That is indeed a safety feature, sounding the alarm if the charger plug is disconnected before the doors are unlocked. My Volt does the same thing. This is supposed to stop people from unplugging your car when you're not there.

Perhaps, are you leaving a spare key inside the car? That would cause this problem.

Leaving the car on and walking away also causes an alarm that can't be shut off, which is very annoying, since I like to park on a hot day with the A/C on, grab some groceries, and come back to a cool car. Unfortunately, there's no way I've found to lock the doors with the Rav4 EV running, unlike my Chevy Volt which does this with no problem because it's smart enough to know I have my keyfob and have manually locked the doors, showing it's been left on intentionally.

Blastphemy said:
Leaving the car on and walking away also causes an alarm that can't be shut off, which is very annoying, since I like to park on a hot day with the A/C on, grab some groceries, and come back to a cool car. Unfortunately, there's no way I've found to lock the doors with the Rav4 EV running, unlike my Chevy Volt which does this with no problem because it's smart enough to know I have my keyfob and have manually locked the doors, showing it's been left on intentionally.

Leave the key in the car and use the valet key to manually lock the car doors. That is the only way to lock the doors with the key still inside. Its the same way my 2012 Prius works.

I do that when I need to run into the store and I have my dog in the Rav. I keep the AC on high and lock the doors. I should put a note that the AC is on so no one breaks the window to "save" the dog.

Blastphemy said:
EDIT: Sorry, I misread your original post. Ignore the response below. That is indeed a safety feature, sounding the alarm if the charger plug is disconnected before the doors are unlocked. My Volt does the same thing. .

Thankfully that "feature" can be disable on the Volt...

Back