Charger Advice

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
SeattleRav4 said:
The adapted Tesla EVSE sounds good but I could'nt find a source to actually buy one.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/universal-mobile-connector-available-october-2009

chargingSolutions_med_main4_1024x1024.jpg

Please note that the connectors sold through our online store are for the Tesla Roadster. Model S charging options will be released at a later date.

The Universal Mobile Connector is ideal for road trips or as an alternative to the Home Connector. You can fully recharge your car in 6 hours or less. This unit is highly flexible with an included NEMA 14-50 adapter and a selection of 8 additional adapters available separately. You can store it in your trunk for road trips, and plug into nearly any outlet anywhere – including your electric clothes dryer and other large or industrial appliances.

Key Benefits
6-hour charge
Mobile
Flexible – 10 adapters available

Technical Specs
Max Current: 40A
Voltage: 208-240V
Max Power: 9.6 kW
Approx Charge Time: 6 hours
Mobile Unit
Cord Length: 18ft

Outlet Installation Recommended

OPTIONAL: We recommend that you contact a certified electrician to install a NEMA 14-50R or to verify what outlets you have available in your location. Provide your Electrician with this Info Sheet .
The connector comes standard with the NEMA 14-50. Your power source will determine your charge rate. See “About Adapters” for a list of available adapters and charge time.

About Adapters

The Universal Mobile Connector is compatible with a range of adapters so that you can plug into numerous types of 240-volt outlets. You can put it in your trunk and charge your car from nearly any 240-volt power source, making this the solution of choice for people who take road trips. See the chart below for a list of available adapters and the resulting charge time.

Currently the Universal Mobile Connector is only available in North America. We are working on developing a unit for all other markets. We apologize for the inconvenience.

$1500

How difficult is this to adapt to a J1772? Where would you recommend getting that handle?

qwk said:
SeattleRav4 said:
I will grant that the TESLA option meets the stated requirements, portability and plugability, best.
I was about to ask if anyone had any direct knowledge of whether these can be bought or were on backorder when I saw the price!
Good, fast, cheap - the BEST you can do is 2 out of the three!

At $1500, while they may be the most portable and pluggable, they are not cheap. I will have to choose among my previously stated 3.
Just go to the Tesla Seattle service center, pick up a new Model S UMC for $500, cut the Model S end off , buy and connect an ITT J1772 handle to it and you are done. Easy and elegant.

Can you really get the Model S UMC for $500? Is it just 120v?

Darren said:
qwk said:
SeattleRav4 said:
I will grant that the TESLA option meets the stated requirements, portability and plugability, best.
I was about to ask if anyone had any direct knowledge of whether these can be bought or were on backorder when I saw the price!
Good, fast, cheap - the BEST you can do is 2 out of the three!

At $1500, while they may be the most portable and pluggable, they are not cheap. I will have to choose among my previously stated 3.
Just go to the Tesla Seattle service center, pick up a new Model S UMC for $500, cut the Model S end off , buy and connect an ITT J1772 handle to it and you are done. Easy and elegant.

Can you really get the Model S UMC for $500? Is it just 120v?
Yes. No, its 120V/240V up to 40A depending on adapter. The adapters currently available for $45 are 5-20, 14-30, 6-50, and 14-50. The UMC includes an adapter of choice from the above list.

And currently lists at $1500 unless Tesla has adopted the Amazon model of user specific pricing. The link above shows me $1500 not $500.

If it were $500 I would push the button and see if they are backordered becasue it does look like an elegant if not inexpensive solution. At $1500 it is off the table for me.

If I am following this correctly, I think we have two different EVSE's here.

One is the one Tony mentioned, which is the Universal Mobile Connector for the Tesla Roadster. This is 208/240v and $1500.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collect...ersal-mobile-connector-available-october-2009

One is a Tesla Model S UMC that is not listed on the website but it is claimed that you can pick it up directly from a Tesla dealer for $500 and is 40 amp 120/240v. My guess is that this model is just the Model S version of this http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/mobile-connector-120 and is 120v only.

Am I correct?

Can any one give me outdoor charging advice? I'm getting a 40 amp Leviton EVSE and was
planning on having it installed inside my barn, with cord coming out a door and parking
my RAV 4 EV outside with cord connected into car outside, but base of the Leviton indoors.

I've done this on my Leaf with a Siemens Versicharger with no problems...rain, hurricaines,
6 inches of snow...no problems. I understand at dealership they all charge outside..
Any reason this should be a problem with RAV 4 EV?

Thanks.

SeattleRav4 said:
And currently lists at $1500 unless Tesla has adopted the Amazon model of user specific pricing. The link above shows me $1500 not $500.

If it were $500 I would push the button and see if they are backordered becasue it does look like an elegant if not inexpensive solution. At $1500 it is off the table for me.

You have to OWN a Model S (or have a buddy with one) to get that pricing, and currently there are none in stock.

Darren said:

One is the one Tony mentioned, which is the Universal Mobile Connector for the Tesla Roadster. This is 208/240v and $1500.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collect...ersal-mobile-connector-available-october-2009

One is a Tesla Model S UMC that is not listed on the website but it is claimed that you can pick it up directly from a Tesla dealer for $500 and is 40 amp 120/240v. My guess is that this model is just the Model S version of this http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/mobile-connector-120 and is 120v only.

Am I correct?

Yes, the Roadster one is a "UMC", and I think the Model S one is just referred to as an "MC". The Roadster UMC uses "old school" CS6365 connectors for the pigtails, and the new Model S MC does not. The Roadster version is available now.

The Model S "MC" is most definitely NOT only 120v. You must be a current Model S owner (of have a buddy who is) to get the $500 pricing. They are currently back ordered.

SeattleRav4 said:

That's the roadster UMC. Different animal.

Darren said:

Am I correct?
The model S UMC is definately not 120V only. It's not listed on the website, but some stores have these in stock.

Just ordered the Leviton 16 amp L2 directly from Leviton through the Toyota link for use at work. Both the unit and the pre-wire kit were on sale for $699 ($770 w/taxes and shipping). I have a 6-20R receptacle already installed at work for my LEAF EVSE Upgrade charge system, which doesn't work on the Rav4 EV. I'll have to replace the plug or get an adapter. The voltage at work is 208 (3-phase power) , so I went with the 16 amp Leviton L2 unit versus upgrading the included 12 amp Panasonic unit to L2, as it will give me an extra 8 KW-Hrs of charge during the 10 hours I'm plugged in at work and will save me money in the long run, as I charge at work for free and won't have to put the extra 8 KW-Hrs in at home. ;)

Bassman said:
Just ordered the Leviton 16 amp L2 ... as it will give me an extra 8 KW-Hrs of charge during the 10 hours I'm plugged in at work

Just to be clear, at 208v * 16 amps, you'll pull 3.3kW from the wall, and at 87.5% charger efficiency, put 2.9kW in the battery. For 10 hours, you'll add about 29kWh.

TonyWilliams said:
qwk said:
My neighbor just got his Model S yesterday, so I was checking out the UMC, and I think I really like it better than the Roadster one.

Are you going to get him to pick one up for you to play with one Tony? I'd love to hear how your solution of replacing the end works.

Does anyone know a SD area electrician who could install a charger for a reasonable price? It's a Schneider Electric EVLINK 2nd gen 30A. Supposedly an easy job but my regular guy is quoting $900. And no, my wife will never let me do it myself :)

TonyWilliams said:
Bassman said:
Just ordered the Leviton 16 amp L2 ... as it will give me an extra 8 KW-Hrs of charge during the 10 hours I'm plugged in at work

Just to be clear, at 208v * 16 amps, you'll pull 3.3kW from the wall, and at 87.5% charger efficiency, put 2.9kW in the battery. For 10 hours, you'll add about 29kWh.

Yeah, the 8 KW-Hrs is the difference between 3.3 KW system and the 12 amp EVSE Upgrade at 208 volts , a difference of 0.8 KW for 10 hours. So 8 KW-Hrs per day less I need to charge at home.

scooter said:
Does anyone know a SD area electrician who could install a charger for a reasonable price? It's a Schneider Electric EVLINK 2nd gen 30A. Supposedly an easy job but my regular guy is quoting $900. And no, my wife will never let me do it myself :)

If you're relatively close, I'll come buy and give you an idea what it should cost (and if it's really easy, I'll do it for you).

I'm at 15 and Poway Road.

Back