Charger Querry about JESLA

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningmay

This has probably been discussed to death ....but here it is again:

Does the JESLA charger charge just as quick as the Leviton that the Toyota dealership recommended to me.

Is my understanding of the JESLA correct that it can be used with any kind of power outlet 110 or 220 but still charges faster than the stock charging cable?

Thanks

Jesla provides maximum power same as the 40a Leviton.
Jesla allows you to plug into lower power sources and charge at the lower speed to avoid overloading the supply.
Leviton is not adjustable and is really made for installation at a single dedicated location.

burningmay said:
This has probably been discussed to death ....but here it is again:

Does the JESLA charger charge just as quick as the Leviton that the Toyota dealership recommended to me.

Is my understanding of the JESLA correct that it can be used with any kind of power outlet 110 or 220 but still charges faster than the stock charging cable?

Thanks
The JESLA is a Tesla UMC with a different vehicle connector. Therefore, it functions the same as the UMC and adjusts to the outlet you have it plugged into. Here are the adapters that Tesla has made, which are available at extra cost. This is a cropped screen shot of their web site for your convenience.

Tesla_Adapter_Guide.jpg

So, in order for you to match the 40A Leviton, you must have a NEMA 14-50 outlet available. If you want to use a standard household outlet (NEMA 5-15) then it will probably charge at the same speed as the Toyota provided charging cable.

I am not familiar with the Jesla, but I know it is being promoted by one of our most knowledgable member on this forum (aka Tony Williams).

Fwiw, I have a 32A Leviton L2 EVSE and it works quite well. It only takes about 4 to 5 hours to fully charge my RAV4 EV. But, for a more versatile charging capability to replace my in-car L1 EVSE charge cord that came with the car, I went with the EMotorWerks (EMW) JuiceBox.

The JB is also based on a Open Source design, and was independently developed for (and tested on) the RAV4 EV.

There are various extra cost options for a JuiceBox, but "bare bones" (with 40A capable I/O cables) it can be had for about $500 (base model, pre-assembled, shipped to your door). If you live in the SF Bay Area, you can Will Call your order to save on shipping. I believe EMW is located in Palo Alto, with a manufacturing facility in San Carlos.

The JB can be customized at extra cost with a lot of additional bells and whistles, including a much fancier, "premium" enclosure. Some of the other options are quite unique compared to most other EVSEs, (e.g. Internet accessible data reporting with the WiFi add-on, and a local color LCD readout (which allows it to be remote controlled with a 4 button key fob). The JB is quite bulky - end to end - just like most other EVSEs, but still reasonably portable. It can be easily stored in the hidden cargo bay in the rear of a RAV4 EV and used at either 120 or 240Vac with no internal wiring changes. For the money, all the added value features are what sold me! :mrgreen:

So If I have a NEMA14-50 outlet (electric dryer outlet) in the garage and a JESLA charger its the same charging speed as the Leviton but with teh added advantage of portability. Correct? And...it might also be cheaper...Correct?

Dryer is more likely 14-30 or 10-30 so Jesla can use 24 amps and Leviton (40a) needs you to pull new wire.

Can you verify that "drier" outlet has a dedicated circuit breaker and what is the current rating of that breaker? Most electric driers are protected up to 30amps, not 50A. An electric range outlet could well have another dedicated circuit with a NEMA14-50R to plug in to, with a 50A breaker for it in the circuit breaker panel, but not generally located in a garage.

I have neither in the garage. I need to have one installed. I can get the 14-50...and get the JESLA.

i just bought a JESLA. It's my spare portable to replace the toyota supplied 120v cable. It's very compact works at full 40amp charge or with the switch of a plug at the 120v style. It has nice green lights to indicate proper connection and charging activity and is easy to replace back into it's tesla supplied mesh bag.

I bought the Jesla. It's a little pricey but it can charge at home and away with many different outlets. Just have to buy the adaptor plugs. Tesla sells their UMC for $650 and then you'd have to buy a J1772 connector to replace the Tesla connector. I don't know how hard that would be. It might take a special crimper. Quick Charge Power does a quality job on the Jesla.

rickrides said:
I bought the Jesla. It's a little pricey but it can charge at home and away with many different outlets. Just have to buy the adaptor plugs. Tesla sells their UMC for $650 and then you'd have to buy a J1772 connector to replace the Tesla connector. I don't know how hard that would be. It might take a special crimper. Quick Charge Power does a quality job on the Jesla.

Yes, we use use aerospace grade production air powered crimping tools that are calibrated by the manufacturer. The entire assembly requires three separate dies for the three pin sizes. In in of my many previous jobs, I built production wiring harnesses for for commercial aircraft (DC-9 / MD-80) at Douglas Aircraft (now Boeing) in Long Beach, California. I know the trade.

We also offer a one year limited warranty that you won't get from Tesla after you modify their UMC.

Tony Williams
R&D Manager
Quick Charge Power LLC
www.QuickChargePower.com
1-844-EVPARTS
1-844-387-2787 office

Here's a chart of JELSA power provided with the Rav4 EV with the following plugs. It will ship with a NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs. Additionally, you may want to buy the correct plug for a dryer or motel air conditioner:

....................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

NOTE: NEMA 6-50 outlet no longer available

Miles Gained per Hour Charging @ 87.5% charger efficiency
70F Ambient temperature - hotter or colder will decrease miles gained

--------------------------------------- 2.7 miles/kWh - 3.4 miles/kWh
------------ Amps/Volts -- Where ------ City Drive ----- 65mph

NEMA 5-15 - 12 / 120 ------- Any ------ 2.8 miles ------ 3.5 miles (North American wall socket)
NEMA 5-20 - 16 / 120 ------ Motels ---- 3.8 miles ------ 4.7 miles (motel air conditioners)
NEMA 10-30- 24 / 240 ------ Home ---- 13.6 miles ----- 17.7 miles (old style dryer outlet)
NEMA 14-30- 24 / 240 ------ Home ---- 13.6 miles ----- 17.7 miles (new style dryer outlet)
J1772 ------- 30 / 208 ------ Public ---- 14.8 miles ----- 18.7 miles (typical public J1772)
J1772 ------- 30 / 240 ------ Home ---- 17.1 miles ----- 21.6 miles (rare 240 volt public J1772)
NEMA 6-50 -- 40 / 240 ------ Home ---- 22.7 miles ----- 28.5 miles (welder outlet)
NEMA 14-50- 40 / 240 ------ Home ---- 22.7 miles ----- 28.5 miles (RV park "50 amp service")

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

Is there any way to secure the JESLA to the wall when it is being used to prevent theft? I think I saw a bracket for hanging it on the wall, but that's it. I was thinking of using one as my primary charger at my house (as well as on road trips), but I don't want someone walking off with it either.

-Steve

swogee said:
Is there any way to secure the JESLA to the wall when it is being used to prevent theft? I think I saw a bracket for hanging it on the wall, but that's it. I was thinking of using one as my primary charger at my house (as well as on road trips), but I don't want someone walking off with it either.
See TeslaMotorsClub thread here. Mounting the outlet higher in the box would make it easier to rest the body of the UMC in the bottom of that box. You could even coil the entire cord and leave it inside.

attachment.php

I am having solar PV installed next week. i asked my solar guy to call the manufacturer to get specs. He told me none answered his phone calls. I tried myself and every time I tried it went to voice mail.

So:How is the customer support on this product?

burningmay said:
I am having solar PV installed next week. i asked my solar guy to call the manufacturer to get specs. He told me none answered his phone calls. I tried myself and every time I tried it went to voice mail.

So:How is the customer support on this product?
If you're talking about the JESLA, then all your electrical guy needs to know is what kind of outlet you want. I would suggest a NEMA 14-50, which requires a 50A breaker, because that's what comes standard with the JESLA. Quick Charge Power is a small company, so I would not expect a live person to answer the phone. I would expect reasonable response to e-mail.

miimura said:
I would suggest a NEMA 14-50, which requires a 50A breaker, because that's what comes standard with the JESLA.
A 14-50 is allowed to be installed on a 40 amp circuit, so I'd make sure to specify also that you require a 50 amp circuit and #6 wire for the hots (at least - you could get bigger to "future proof".)

I just ordered a JESLA today but didn't buy any of the other optional adapters... yet. My question is this: For those of you who have either a JESLA or other 120/240 V portable EVSE, which receptacle types are you able to find and use most often?

Does anyone actually have a dryer that is close enough to plug into the outlet there? At my house I'd need about a 50' extension cord to reach the dryer, and about the same to reach the outlet by the former electric oven. Fortunately at home I have an appropriate outlet in my garage. It's when on the road that I'm asking about.

Motel AC receptacles a reality? Same question for Welder or Plasma cutter, which I think would be physically more accessible (garage or shop) but other than family members' houses where have you actually been actually to use these? Places of business?

Is there a website or app that tells what plug outlets are available at RV parks? How do you plan a trip that includes other than the standard 'commercially available' L2 chargers as found via Chargepoint, Recargo,etc?

I realize there are a lot of questions within this one post, so thanks in advance for your replies!

Follow up question: How do you feel about promoting more 240V 50A outlets rather than full charging stations? Cost for businesses, public places, etc would be a small fraction of the cost of a full charger system and it would put the main burden on the EV owner to have their own charging solution with them?

Same would go for promoting more 120V outdoor offices for offices or other places workers or students will be for up to 8 hours a day. I'm not an electrical contractor but I'd bet it would be less expensive to put in 10 120V or 240V outdoor rated outlets/receptables than a single L2 charger system would cost and there'd be far less maintenance or repair issues.

Back