Check EV System warning came on today (frown)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lido

It was pouring rain this morning and I had to drive through some deep puddles, so I'm wondering if maybe that's what caused it. Car continued to run with no noticeable issues. Should I take it in? There's a Toyota Dealer that works on these (Tustin, CA, about a half hour from where I am), but obviously would like to try anything else prior to that if I can.

Cycling the ignition on/off four or five times usually clears any intermittent faults in the Tesla system. I would try that, and see if the warning goes away.

A weak 12V battery can also cause odd errors to appear; if yours is more than a few years old, consider having it tested at a local auto parts store.

Thanks. I saw a post about a youtube video showing the steps to reset it. That didn't do it. The little yellow "!" triangle comes on also. Don't think it's the 12v, I replaced the 12v battery last year so I think I'm ok for another year hopefully! Guess I'll call the dealer.

Last edited:
I hope you get it fixed. Ours was doing that intermittently when we got it 4 years back (which is why we got it for a great price). We're half way across the country so there's no way we can get it serviced in CA so we've just learned to live with it. Cycling the power 5 times does reset the warning but cycling it just once is all you need to do to get the car out of limp mode so that's what we do. For 30k+ miles now!

i get that occasionally on mine too maybe once every fifty times i use it. i used to really worry about it but on one of my visits to menlo toyota they said it happens when theres a temporary loss of sync between the tesla and the toyota side of the car. ive ignored it since then when it happens and if it goes away in 5 restarts i call it good. these are sort of experimental cars, you have to expect weird things occasionally.

Well, the dealer says the left coolant pump is dead, replacement cost ~2000. Not sure if I'm up for that, but they said that if I don't do it, the main battery could be ruined.

REC Battery coolant pump 1 malfunction thc-d0005.
recommend replacement of left coolant pump for battery
Customer Pay $2,009.36

Well, the dealer says the left coolant pump is dead, replacement cost ~2000. Not sure if I'm up for that, but they said that if I don't do it, the main battery could be ruined.

Customer Pay $2,009.36
They aren’t terribly difficult to access under the hood and can be bought used for less than $100 if you’re up to doing the task yourself.

Customer Pay $2,009.36
I recommend paying attention to these descriptions of self-repair of such a malfunction and for much less money. High Battery Temp Power Output and Max Speed Limitedd and
Check EV System Message - My particular case/solution

Back