Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the latest version of firmware is 1.3.83, but it has been many months since that version first came out sometime last year.

Sounds like the Gateway ECU is already at the local dealer--seems to be a lot quicker than what most people experienced! Now all I need to do is coordinate when the corporate field engineer can make it out. More to come.

Ok so Toyota wants to wait until next month to install the ECU because they said a "new" firmware update is coming out next month. I'm guessing this is the one that "fixes" the recall?

I'm ok for now with no recurrences of the check EV light, but if it comes back I might push for a sooner Gateway ECU replacement since it's already here--just waiting to be installed.

ground_gainer said:
Ok so Toyota wants to wait until next month to install the ECU because they said a "new" firmware update is coming out next month. I'm guessing this is the one that "fixes" the recall?

I'm ok for now with no recurrences of the check EV light, but if it comes back I might push for a sooner Gateway ECU replacement since it's already here--just waiting to be installed.

In the last 7 days I've had 3 times that my cruise control totally goes bezerk.
I wonder if that is related to the speed sensor signal going missing that they refer to in the recall.

And now it hit me as well: 32k miles and the ECU is causing trouble.
Yet, Toyota in Fremont has to wait to get the okay from "Toyota"!??? :evil:
I am already waiting for two days now...

They will, later, also fix the "whining noise ". This was fixed at 16k miles by replacing the motor. Well, here we are again, 16k miles on top and the same problem again...

I was told the ECU is under warranty until 100k miles? Is that true?

fromport said:
ground_gainer said:

In the last 7 days I've had 3 times that my cruise control totally goes bezerk.
I wonder if that is related to the speed sensor signal going missing that they refer to in the recall.

Mine has never worked, likely why my ECU never broke :lol:

So about 3-4 weeks ago I got the dreaded "check ev system" message. Car still ran fine and message went away after a few days. Last week I was rear ended which caused minimal damage to my rear bumper but I figured better take car in and get it all
Diagnosed.

Dealership today called to said the error message still is showing up and has something to do with losing communication with the traction motor. He said car may need to stay there overnight and if so they will give me a rental.

My issue is, no rental can replace this car and I drive 100 miles per day so having to pay gas will cost me around $300-400 per month extra. I've heard of cars being stuck at dealerships for weeks to months.

How can they possibly make us pay for our lease if the car is down for that long? Considering doing away with my automatic payment so I can withhold future payments in case they keep my car for a long time. I'm not paying $529 per month and another 300-400 for gas, I have solar system and my electricity is basically free... Not a happy camper.

G

Thanks Tony,

i will definitely contact him. Is he a lemon law expert?

Last lawyer said they couldn't help me yet but from what I have read, I can see where this is going.

ghever said:
Thanks Tony,

i will definitely contact him. Is he a lemon law expert?

Last lawyer said they couldn't help me yet but from what I have read, I can see where this is going.

No, he's the representative from Toyota USA who will help you.

If this is the only issue you've had, you're not even close to Lemon Law yet.

ghever said:
How can they possibly make us pay for our lease if the car is down for that long? Considering doing away with my automatic payment so I can withhold future payments in case they keep my car for a long time. I'm not paying $529 per month and another 300-400 for gas, I have solar system and my electricity is basically free... Not a happy camper.
The dealership is fulfilling its obligation by providing you with a car while your Rav4 EV is being serviced. While in a perfect world that temporary car would be the exact model and drivetrain you current own, most people rarely get that lucky. If you stop paying your lease, not only will Toyota probably make you pay for your loaner, but they'll also send you to collections for breach of contract. I know it sucks to have to use gas in the short term, but there's really not much you can do. If that's the worst that happens to you in life, be very grateful. When I used to get my Cadillac ELR serviced, the dealer usually gave me an SRX (since it didn't have any ELRs in its loaner fleet). Wasn't thrilled, but at least I had transportation.

Your only other possibility is to take your car back while they wait for the new firmware. I did that when I needed a drive motor replacement and they needed a week to get the parts in. They said they didn't recommend it, but I did it anyway. If I had broke down, I'd have to have it towed in. However the only symptom was noise and it had been making that noise for months, so I figured why worry about another week? Not the same as your situation.

So let's say the car is in the shop for two months as I have seen someone else here post... I am paying $528 to drive a RAV4 ev not a 4Runner which I can lease for $300... Have to see what lease contract says but it's probably very vague and just says a replacement "like" car. But at some point there has to be a line drawn? What if I don't have the car back for 6 months? One year? 2 years? They can provide me with an inferior car and I have to pay a premium for it? Highly doubt it. I'm sure a lawyer will have a field day with that if it gets to that point.

I'll contact the Toyota rep and if they offer to pay gas, I will drive whatever they give me.

If not, I'm going to try and get the car back. It was driving fine without any issues except for some wheel clicking noise that keeps coming back, they fixed it once, now it's the second time.

So I was just contacted by dealerhship and as expected they say they need to replace the "motor" and it will take 1 month or longer.

When they cannot provide me with a similar car replacement, why do I have to keep making payments or even keep this car?

A good lemon law lawyer can get this resolved easily. You don't need to give three chances to repair an issue when it is related to safety and pretty sure the car motor falls under that.

G

ghever said:
So I was just contacted by dealerhship and as expected they say they need to replace the "motor" and it will take 1 month or longer...A good lemon law lawyer can get this resolved easily. You don't need to give three chances to repair an issue when it is related to safety and pretty sure the car motor falls under that.

In this case, if you don't want the car, I'd get any of the recommended Lemon Law attorneys and let them take care of it.

I wouldn't waste time with the arbitration process, which is paid for by Toyota, and obviously somewhat skewed toward Toyota winning (the lawyer who oversees the arbitration can't find for the customer every time, or he won't have a job very long).

Here's a whole thread on Lemon Law:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8300#p8300

Thanks Tony,

I am in contact with a few lemon law lawyers. Still need to find one who is familiar with this car and it's issues. Once they litigate successfully on one car, it gets easier and easier for them on subsequent cars.

I contacted the Toyota rep whose email you gave me without a single response.

I don't have an extra $300-400 to spend on gas per month. I am also going to see if they can get me into a Prius for cheap but with my crazy mileage, it's hard to lease another car, have to buy and then depreciation will be unreal.

dstjohn99 said:
ghever said:
it's hard to lease another car, have to buy and then depreciation will be unreal.

Consider a used dealer certified Prius with warranty - most depreciation already taken.
Unfortunately, Priuses hold their value well. And ones at least advertises at Toyota dealer web sites tend to expensive for a used car, esp. CPO ones.

Compare to what a dealer near me is opnely advertising right now: http://www.toyotasunnyvale.com/specials/index.htm new '15 Prius model Two: $19,988 or a Three for $20,988. You can get that that price from them w/no haggling.

'16 Priuses are on the way in the near future. Unclear of timeframe, but it seems that'll be the next gen. There have been what are purported to be spy shots (w/cladding and all) of it in testing on real roads in Thailand and SF.

Well I got the car back Monday... About 14 days in the shop.. Traction motor replaced.

Today, I get a Check EV system and car won't charge.. Charged fine this morning, now it doesn't want to charge ... I don't have enough range to get to closest dealership... Guess it's time to test out the SOS button... Dealership is 50 miles away and I need to take my son to tennis tournament ... Do Teslas have this many issues too?

I got solar panels specifically for this damn car and now I am not sure any electric car is suitable for me for the near future...

you tried the 4 times reset or a 12v disconnect from the battery and back on again?

JdeMo by any chance?

Any other details? The charging system can be kinda flaky. It's not the HV right? You can still drive, just no charging.

When we were testing the JdeMO on my Rav (which has had ZERO issues) the night leaving from Tony's the damn thing would not power up and not want to kick in to charge.

Tons of 12v resets and power on and off cycles later... it "woke up"....

Never an issue since ;)

Back