Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vips said:
I got the Check EV system message yesterday and scheduled to go into the dealer tomorrow in Fremont.
The error did clear itself after a couple of starts but when charging it stops to do so within 5 seconds and disconnects the EVSE. AFter which I get the Check EV system error again on startup.

IF someone has experience above issue and can post their resolution from the dealer, that will be great.

//Vips

Sorry that your car has developed issues. I don't have experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was related to the charger in your car.

vips said:
I got the Check EV system message yesterday and scheduled to go into the dealer tomorrow in Fremont.
The error did clear itself after a couple of starts but when charging it stops to do so within 5 seconds and disconnects the EVSE. AFter which I get the Check EV system error again on startup.

IF someone has experience above issue and can post their resolution from the dealer, that will be great.

//Vips
Does this happen on your EVSE at home? What type is it? What is the charge level in the car?

The Check EV System light came on first time when it was parked at a school and then upon start of the car the error was displayed.
My wife drove it to work and on way back home the error came back on.
Then the error cleared itself when I started the car last night. Thought, let me charge it now and then it gave the Check EV system error again.

I have a Blink charger and have been using it for last 7 months.

Quick update:
Car is still at Fremont Toyota and their Field rep coming today (saturday) to check out the problem.
Seems as a protocol, when these types of problem occur, the protocol is to call in the bigger guns and local tech takes a back seat.

Car is still at Fremont Toyota after 8 days. It seems that they are unable to upgrade the firmware successfully to see if this resolves the problem of car not charging.
Finally, a Tesla engineer is supposed to come today to look at the problem.
I have opened a case with Toyata NA but all they provide is lip service and were not able to even call me back for 3 days.

The reason for delay is mainly process and communication delays (between dealer, Toyota corp, Tesla) rather then someone working on the car every day for 8 days.
The technicians have no clue and just look for steps to follow from either Toyota Corp or Tesla. If they get stuck, the time consuming communication process starts again.

Well, lets see what the Tesla engineer can do today.

Got my car back today. finally, the latest firmware update (cumulative) was installed per the technician.
Car is now charging again, at least when tried for 2-3 times in last 2 days.

In the shop for 10 days for this issue though once the Tesla and correct Toyota engineers were involved (due to my escalation to Toyota), the fix took 2 days at best to complete.

Did they do anything besides upgrade the firmware, and did they tell you why the firmware could not be upgraded at first?

2012 model year and Vin: 1155.

I have not received the paperwork yet for this part. The technician will write up a report this week and will know the firmware update number hopefully.
Nothing else was done to the car. The Gateway ECU was NOT replaced.

In my case, the update was a complete new install from scratch instead of an incremental update.
Do not know why the update was not going thru earlier. The problem is that the technician at the shop have no clue and are just following steps from Toyota or Tesla engineer. So to get any meaningful insight has been very hard.

Our RAV4EV displayed the Check EV System warning message last week. The vehicle was still drivable, but no sport mode was available. We could still charge it. When we brought it in to Toyota, they found error codes P312F and THC_d005 which meant Battery Coolant Pump 1 error. They gave us a loaner car (Prius) and worked with Tesla to replace the left side HV battery pump. We got the car back in 5 days. No problems now. Glad to be back in our EV!! :lol:

^^^
Sigh... seems like it's more Tesla bits to blame.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/19785-Car-delivered-yesterday-died-10-times-today-stranding-my-family/page7 was a Model S owner having 2 of 3 coolant pumps fail, causing the symptom at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/19785-Car-delivered-yesterday-died-10-times-today-stranding-my-family.

Got the Check EV System warning message today on mine. Drove it to work in the morning. After getting off from work, drove to my local dealership. Interestingly enough, when they started the vehicle, the error message was gone. Such is life I guess. :roll:

Check EV System warning came back on again yesterday. Took it to the dealership and they updated the charging software (unsure what other parts of the car can be software upgraded). They kept it overnight on their Leviton charger and the problem didn't go away so they're keeping it longer to see what's up.

Going to see if they can get me a loaner car while it's in the shop. This is at Magnussen's Toyota of Palo Alto.

Braxus said:
Check EV System warning came back on again yesterday. Took it to the dealership and they updated the charging software (unsure what other parts of the car can be software upgraded). They kept it overnight on their Leviton charger and the problem didn't go away so they're keeping it longer to see what's up.

Going to see if they can get me a loaner car while it's in the shop. This is at Magnussen's Toyota of Palo Alto.
They don't give you a loaner when they keep the car?

What the heck is that? How do you get home?

springs said:
Braxus said:

They don't give you a loaner when they keep the car?

What the heck is that? How do you get home?
You have to ask for it. I PM'd him who to talk to in case there is any resistance.

Toyota Palo Alto was able to give me a Yaris as a loaner vehicle.

Got a call from Alex in the service department and looks like they're having some engineers from Tesla come out to check out the vehicle this Thursday. Seems like the issue I have has the dealership techs and corporate level Toyota techs stumped. Will get an update sometime after the Tesla techs take a look at it.

Will log what I can here as I hear more.

Braxus said:
Toyota Palo Alto was able to give me a Yaris as a loaner vehicle.

Got a call from Alex in the service department and looks like they're having some engineers from Tesla come out to check out the vehicle this Thursday. Seems like the issue I have has the dealership techs and corporate level Toyota techs stumped. Will get an update sometime after the Tesla techs take a look at it.

Will log what I can here as I hear more.

A Yaris in exchange for a RAV? Just another reason to get a Tesla. My friend's roadster needed repair this week and the Tesla service center brought him a P85+ for the day. At least they could have given you a Prius.

My car had the check EV system again this morning after I got to work. This time - I was able to drive it to the dealership and so I hope that it's the standard check EV system and not the high temp/low temp problem that required traction battery replacement as in http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=765.

I am told that the problem this time is a bad gateway ECU. The wait time is about a month according to the tech!

I wonder if it's just a matter of time before we all have to replace our gateway ECU? Sheesh - a one month wait? Ridiculous, especially since Toyota knows that part is failing frequently.

Back